Dog slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is gonna be a weird question, but, I decided to bottle my Brewhouse Cream Ale kit outside today, because it was nice and sunny. After i racked it into my priming bucket, I turned my back for a second, and my 11 month old Lab puppy decided to take a a bunch of shlurps out of my bucket,(he likes beer as much as i do)

I got as much of the dog hair out of the bucket as i could, but being a cream ale, it was hard to see the black Lab dog hairs, I think i got them all tho. So, my questions are:

1:Do you think dog slobber will affect my brew now that it is bottled?
2: If i serve it to my friends, will they all of a sudden have an uncontrollable urge to lick their private parts?

Thanks for your help
Barney:drunk:

1. It may. There's a definite chance of infection. I say stay the course and see what happens. Might be perfectly fine.

2. No more than they already do.

I'd say, since it was already alcoholic, let it ride. Might be fine.

If not, your lab will be glad to finish the job, I'm sure.

It's all I can do to keep my dog out of the room once the fermenter/bottle/bag of ingredients is open; he's a fiend!

I know that in human saliva there are enzymes that begin the decomposition of long strain carbohydrates like those in beer. So depending on how much it does, you could be looking at bottle bombs. I would bottle anyway but make sure you put them in a big old tote or bathtub so that if the do explode no one will get hurt and the mess will be contained.

I agree with fencemaker. Its worth it to see what comes out of it. The alcohol may be able to overpower the dog spit and what ever else was on his tongue. Worst case scenario you have to dump it, best case scenario you have a beer with a funny story and good name. Just be wary of it turning into bottle bombs.

I agree with fencemaker. Its worth it to see what comes out of it. The alcohol may be able to overpower the dog spit and what ever else was on his tongue. Worst case scenario you have to dump it, best case scenario you have a beer with a funny story and good name. Just be wary of it turning into bottle bombs.

Hmmm...Dog Slobber Cream Ale....maybe if I get a good marketing company, there may be possibilities :p

barneyfife said:
Hmmm...Dog Slobber Cream Ale....maybe if I get a good marketing company, there may be possibilities :p

The makers of Moose Drool might want to have a word with you.

Back