Higher fermentation temp????!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
OK, I brewed this IPA yesterday, picthed the yeast at about 74 degrees and overnight it dropped into the mid to upper 60s but this morning it started gurgling real good and has been all day but the temp is up to about 72-73 and it's beena cool day here, low 50s and my house has never got over 66 today. It's been in dark room.

Is this rapid fermentation accounting for the spike in temp?

Yes.

How are you measuring the temperature?

You can wrap a wet towel around the fermenter and this will help cool it a lot.

zonabb said:
OK, I brewed this IPA yesterday, picthed the yeast at about 74 degrees and overnight it dropped into the mid to upper 60s but this morning it started gurgling real good and has been all day but the temp is up to about 72-73 and it's beena cool day here, low 50s and my house has never got over 66 today. It's been in dark room.

Is this rapid fermentation accounting for the spike in temp?

What kind of yeast did you pitch? Also do you have a basement at your disposal? The concrete floor of a basement is good at helping stabilize the temp.

A big sink or a kegger tub is good at helping stablize the temp too.

Yeah, I have a basement. After yesterday's rapid (and annoying according to my wife) fermentation, it stopped overnight and I can tell it's still going but much slower because the water in the airlock is still pushing toward the outlet.

Anyway, the temp was down this moring too. So I suspect I'm OK and it was just higher due to the speed of fermentation.

I noticed the same thing doing my first batch. Those hungry yeasties get warm. I picked up a big 24 gallon Rubbermaid plastic storage container. Filled it about 1/4 to1/3 full with water and let it sit for a day or two at room (or garage depending on the fermentation temp I want) temp. I put the carboy in the container of water. This heat sink allows me to hold fermentation temp within a couple degrees.

what is the most accurate way to measure temps while it ferments?

I use a Fermometer strip stuck to the side of the carboy just under the fill level. That will give you an accurate reading of your fermentation temp.

Back