Convertable Mash Tun/Moble Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazultav

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am more of a lurker, but I've been pondering a situation for a bit and need to open it up to the floor.

I picked up a 60qt cube cooler with wheels with dreams of a convertable mash tun/moble kegerator. The mash tun is easy enough. I'll be doing a simple ball valve, cpvc slotted manifold. The kegerator part of the equation has me stumped. The gas side will be handled via a paintball tank, with a adapter and a single stage regulator. However Im am at a loss as to beer handling. I figure I have three options.

1. Cut a hole in the lid of the cooler, use a 5 gallon corny. Fashion some sort of plug from rigid insulation board and foil tap to plug the hole while in mash tun configuration.
pro: simple, kegs are relativley cheap and accessable. con: I may loose my ability to hold mash temp. This project shoudl be a mash tun first with secondary kegerator tendencies.

2. cough up the cash and use a 3/2.5 gallon corny.
pro: super easy con: $$$

3. Build something like these:
http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/cheap_3_liter_kegs.htm
I was thinking about building 2 and daisy chaining them. Also using stainless for the dip tube and using barb for gas in, not a schrader.
pro: moderately easy to put togther. con:DIY time, energy gathering supplies. Soda bottles just ain't as cool as a real keg.

Sorry for the length, thanks for making it this far. What are peoples thoughts.
Thanks everyone, keep rocking. :rockin: :rockin:

well...you could look at using the 5L mini kegs (similar to the ones you can find Oberon or Heinekin in) and adapting them for use with regular taps (I think there is a thread here on HBT for that)

Back