Using a water bottle as a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corexcore

Reaction score
So I'm a complete novice with homebrewing, starting my first brew tomorrow, hopefully. I was wondering for future, larger batches, what people think about making a carboy from the water jug that you'd often see on a water cooler, those large, translucent blue 5 gallon containers. Has anyone tried this, or have any reason that its not a good idea? I know that this kind of plastic is fairly O2 permeable, so it wouldn't be suitable for aging or storing, but what do people think about using them for primary and secondary fermentors? I'm a college student, so I'm looking for cheaper alternatives to a $30 or $40 glass carboy, of which you end up needing at least a couple. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

My advice is use it for short term storage...no extended aging. When they stop making baby bottles out of polycarbonate i will revise my position on the matter.

I'm a college student, so I'm looking for cheaper alternatives to a $30 or $40 glass carboy, of which you end up needing at least a couple. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Why not just use buckets? Food safe 7g buckets are available for about $10 each.

There is a lot on here on this subject. Bottom line is check the number in the recycling triangle. 1 OK, 2 alright, anything else don't even bother.

Alright, thanks. I ran a search and looked for a while, but couldn't find much of relevance. I'm sure there is a lot, I just wasn't really sure what to search for. Thanks a lot for the advice, that's a good call, looking at the recycling triangle.

Can those food safe 7 gallon buckets be used for secondary fermentation, or be used for storage for a number of months, until ready to bottle? Or are they only suitable for primary fermentation? I was worried a bit about the fact that they don't narrow at the top, that too much air might get in and such, as well as that the plastic bucket top just doesn't seem air tight. I imagine it must be, but I'd still be concerned. Does anyone have experience using these sort of buckets for secondary fermentation/longer-term use?

I brewed an 8 gallon batch of lager Saturday. I put 5 gallons in a 6 gallon Better Bottle and 3 gallons in a 5 gallon water bottle from Home Depot.

They are both thumping away at 50*F, we will see what, if any differences there are in a few weeks.

Alright, excellent. I'll keep an eye out for any updates on that. I hope its no real difference, just that you have to work harder to clean the plastic. That'd be excellent, as I'm hoping to make a 5 gallon batch of mead for next summer, and I'd have to start brewing within the next couple months for that to work out. I hope there's no differences in the two batches.

Can't go wrong with a ale-pale or similar bucket you can buy at a LHBS. If I were a cash-strapped college student, I wouldn't even bother with a glass carboy at this point. Chances are you won't be making the types of beer that require extended aging where oxygen permeability/oxidation is an issue.

Where in Maine are you?

I hope its no real difference, just that you have to work harder to clean the plastic. T

The last thing you should be doing is working harder to clean the plastic.

Work smarter: Fill with hot oxyclean. Let sit. Dump. It'll be clean. Sanitize before you use.

The last thing you should be doing is working harder to clean the plastic.

Work smarter: Fill with hot oxyclean. Let sit. Dump. It'll be clean. Sanitize before you use.

Sometimes, if you wind up with that "epoxy krausen", it takes a couple of tries with the oxyclean.

Very stupendous, thanks a lot for the advice. I'll probably pick up some oxyclean, and for my next, larger batch, I'll go with the larger buckets from the Home Brew Shop, I'm glad to know that those are acceptable. Thanks a lot!

@Broad bill, I'm from Greene, right outside of Lewiston.

Back