Interesting recipes with amarillo or cascade (and rye?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irasnyd

Reaction score
Hey all. I hate to be posting here asking for recipes, but I've searched the recipe database, and I haven't found anything that really sounds new and interesting.

I've got 1/2 pound each of amarillo and cascade. Also 1oz of whole willamette. I've made the All Amarillo IPA twice, and a Deschutes' Mirror Pond Pale Ale clone three times in the past few months. They're great, but I'm just a bit bored with them.

Someone has suggested that I do a rye beer, which is something I've never had. I'd like to start using up some of the hops above, but I'm not against getting some others. I've found the Crimson Rye IPA, but I'm having trouble converting it to an extract brew. A simcoe / amarillo / cascade blend of some sort sounds great, too.

Any suggestions for some interesting brews? I've just got a temperature controlled fridge, and I need something to try it out on. :)

[Edit: Heh, I skipped over the part where you said you brewed this beer twice already, the first time I read your post. :D]

I just brewed the single best batch of beer I've ever made... in fact, it's one of my favorite beers, commercial or homebrew, period.

It's TheJadedDog's recipe, All Amarillo IPA.

I brewed it as written, but added 1 oz of Amarillo as a dry hop for 14 days, and used cultured yeast from Bell's Two-Hearted ale.

[Edit: Heh, I skipped over the part where you said you brewed this beer twice already, the first time I read your post. :D]

I just brewed the single best batch of beer I've ever made... in fact, it's one of my favorite beers, commercial or homebrew, period.

It's TheJadedDog's recipe, All Amarillo IPA.

I brewed it as written, but added 1 oz of Amarillo as a dry hop for 14 days, and used cultured yeast from Bell's Two-Hearted ale.

Yep, I love the recipe as well. It is great as-is, but I really want to try another batch with a dry hop, just for fun. I experimented with my second batch, adding 1/4lb of munich, and didn't like the result too much. I want to try it with magnum for bittering hops as well; using so much amarillo for bittering just wastes so much beer at the end, siphoning to the fermenter.

Yeah, I was thinking about bittering it with Simcoe next time.

You have to mash rye malt. Can you do a partial mash?

Our local micro makes a really good rye beer that has me wanting to make something similar.

You have to mash rye malt. Can you do a partial mash?

Our local micro makes a really good rye beer that has me wanting to make something similar.

I've never done a partial mash before, but I've got an extra 6 gallon pot I can use as a mash tun, in the style of DeathBrewer's Easy PM method. Maybe it's time to learn? My next batch will be number 20, after all. :)

Ok, I'm game for learning partial mash brewing. Any tried-and-true PM recipes? I've only got a 7 gallon pot for my boil, will that be enough for a PM brew?

I'm sipping a Hop Stream Rye PA right now. Nice! Very nice!

Just sub out the magnum and centennial with Amarillo and this will be great.

Hop Stream Rye
American Pale Ale

Batch Size: 11.60 gal
Boil Size: 14.74 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Magnum [13.50%] (60 min) 0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [6.10%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (15 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (15 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [6.10%] (15 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (10 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (10 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [6.10%] (10 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (5 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (5 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [6.10%] (5 min)

Dry hop each keg with:
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Kolsch (2565) Slurry

Wow BierMuncher, that looks great. I'm definitely brewing that. Since I'm doing 5 gallon batches, I cut all the ingredients in half. To convert to PM, I subbed out 4 lbs of the 2 row for 3 lbs of LME. Sound about right?

Now, one more recipe, and I'll be set to make an order :)

Thanks for the recipe!

Back