First mead (from a while back)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
Finally scrolled down past the beer section and saw the mead section last week, reminded me I've had one going since November.

I think I need to put the clarifier thru the mead soon so I can rack off one more time and bottle soon.

Since nobody around me has really done a mead (I haven't tasted one in a few years, well other than samples while transfering) I have a couple questions.

I know aging for close to a year is recommmended, if your fermentation temps allow.

How many times do you typically transfer, and when?
How long in do you add the clarifiers?
How long after adding the clarifiers do you let the mead sit? (usually min. of 48 hrs?)
What clarifiers do you use/recommend & why? I was trying to avoid the 2 part stuff for a while because it's a shell fish dirivitave and I had a friend who is severly allergic to shell fish.
What type of bottles do you use and where do you get them? I remember seeing some blue ones that took some corks that were about a 1/4" to 3/8" dia. that I thought would be nice, but I don't think my brew shop can get them, not a high demand item. Or at least not from one of his normal suppliers.

Back