Using pectic enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
I just picked up 5 gallons of locally produced, cold pasteurized cider and I was combing through the forum for any recipe recommendations. Heading over to the LHBS to grab a tube of White Labs English Cider yeast along with some other odds and ends, but may use a neutral ale yeast if it's unavailable. I'm a little unsure on the use of pectic enzyme. What benefits would I see from using pectic enzyme in this cider? I'm not planning on adding any addition sugar unless my cider reads an OG of under 1.060 or so.

I thought that was the case- and I picked some up when I was at the LHBS earlier today. I'm thinking that the pectic enzyme should be added at racking and cold-crashing?

Pectic enzyme is only necessary when the pectin is set, am I wrong in thinking that since you have cold pasteurized cider, there is no reason to use it at all? I could be wrong.

Probably too late now (I was out of town all weekend), but you should add the pectic enzyme 12 hours after sulfites (if using) and 12 hours before the yeast is added. I mix up the must, sulfite it, then add the pectic enzyme that evening, and pitch the yeast the next day.

+1 on the 12 hours, however if you missed that point pull a little cider out and dissolve 1 tsp per gallon and put it back in now. It will still help.

I have over 20gal of cider sitting in secondaries in my basement. They have only been there about 2weeks but show little to no signs of setteling. The only clarifier I have is pectic enzyme. Can it be used now or is it too late? How should I add it?

I know this is an old post but Im not finding much info about the subject.

The pectin really has more of an effect when bottle pasturizing -- it can clear in the bottles with pectin present.... it will just get really cloudy when you pasturize it or if the bottles get warm in storage....

Ye Olde Cider Clearing trick is to wait till the weather is cold (Slightly above freezing) and let it sit outside in the shed for a few days... The fridge usually works quite nicely too.... but not when you are trying to get 20 gallons in all at once...

The yeast and residual trash seems to settle out quite nicely when it gets really cold -- then you can rack it off and have a more clear cider...

Thanks

So I just added pectic enzyme to 25 gallons of pasteurized juice in 5 different carboys. Is it ok to not add the yeast until tomorrow morning? I'm scared the juice will oxidize or something. Its about 70 degrees in my house too, is that ok?

So I just added pectic enzyme to 25 gallons of pasteurized juice in 5 different carboys. Is it ok to not add the yeast until tomorrow morning? I'm scared the juice will oxidize or something. Its about 70 degrees in my house too, is that ok?

Yes. You typically add the yeast 24 hours after mixing the must, assuming you used campden (sulfites). If you didn't use any sulfites, then add the yeast now.

I am using the juice for graff that I am brewing tomorrow morning, so I can't add yeast until then. I didn't use campden because the juice is already pasteurized. Is it bad for the juice to sit overnight in the carboys with no added yeast? I don't want to mess this up.

I am using the juice for graff that I am brewing tomorrow morning, so I can't add yeast until then. I didn't use campden because the juice is already pasteurized. Is it bad for the juice to sit overnight in the carboys with no added yeast? I don't want to mess this up.

With no sulfites, and no yeast added, I probably wouldn't let it sit overnight. Do you leave your apple juice out on the counter or do you put it in the fridge? It's the same thing. It probably won't spoil in one day, but it isn't good. I'd add the yeast. But I don't know why you can't add the yeast until tomorrow so I think I just don't understand.

I'm brewing a batch of beer in the morning and I'm going to add a gallon of the wort to each carboy before I pitch the yeast. I don't have time to brew until the morning. Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I'll try to wake up early and brew. I hope it doesn't spoil on me.

I'm brewing a batch of beer in the morning and I'm going to add a gallon of the wort to each carboy before I pitch the yeast. I don't have time to brew until the morning. Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I'll try to wake up early and brew. I hope it doesn't spoil on me.

Why can't you add the yeast to the must today? And then add that to your wort? I just really don't understand, I guess. In any case, good luck with the brew!

Back