Double IPA Crosseyed PA (Double IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2112

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs #WLP001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 dasy @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Huge superhoppy beer. Goes beyond bitter into very crisp birght citrus and floral.
Grains
14.75 lbs 2 Row (US)
1.00 lbs Munich
.25 lbs Crystal 20L

Adjuncts
1.00 lbs Corn Sugar added at boil start
Whirlfloc tablet added @ 15 min

Hops
2 oz Centennial (10% Alpha) @ 60 min
2 oz Chinook (13% Alpha) @ 60 min
1 oz Centennial (10% Alpha) @ 15 min
1 oz Galena (13% Alpha) @ 5 min
* 2 oz Galena (13% Alpha) Dry hopped for 7 days
All my hops were in pellet form

Yeast
1000mL starter of #WLP001 California Ale

I used 1 tbs of 5.2 Mash Stabilizer in my strike water

Mash in with 5 gallons of water at 167.1F and hold mash @ 155F for 90 minutes
Drain Mash Tun and sparge with 3.67 gallons of water @ 168F
Boil volume should be 6.50 gallons
Flame on and boil for 60 min to get a final volume of 5 gallons into primary.

I had a bunch of BMC drinkers, and "I don't like hoppy beer" drinkers destroy a keg of this in no time at a BBQ in my backyard. It destroyed them in return, with an ABV of about 9% :drunk:

Congrats on being the very top result on a Google search for double ipa "all grain". Looks good!

I know this is a old post but its still the top result on Google for All Grain IPA, if the OP is still here or of if anyone knows the annswer to the following question that would be tits. Was the corn sugar added just to bring up the OG? and if so is it needed? I want to try this but Im not a fan of adding extra sugars if they arent needed.

I've made this beer twice now and cannot seem to hit the target gravity.

The first attempt was my first ever all-grain brew and I only achieved an OG of 1.062. I mashed and sparged rather quickly and suspect that my grains weren't properly cracked (from Morebeer). The resultant beer was a light, bright, clean, and dry IPA that smelled delicious and was very drinkable. It turned out great.

After a few more all grain brews under my belt I decided to try this recipe again today. We mashed for 90 minutes at approximately 150 degrees and sparged with 170 degree water for one hour. The boil went well and once we took the reading (expecting an OG of close to 1.090) we had a whopping 1.065 gravity. I don't know what I'm doing wrong??

On the plus side, it should make a fantastic single IPA with a simple bready malt and heavy late hop additions with not too many bittering hops. I'm still excited to see how this turns out.

I replaced the Galena hops with Citra hops. The aroma is very nice

Latest posts

Back