New 100 Rhizome hop farm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I was talking about making a harvester... I don't have 30k to spend on a harvester. We will most likely cut them down... the scaffold system will allow us to do that much more easily.

Cool man, I will keep following this thread. I have about 20 hop plants at this point and would love to find a way to avoid picking them. I'm also in VA, let me know if you have any questions about growing hops here.

Ok guys we are nearing completion on the build. All that is left to do is put in the permanent rack braces and finish bolting the headers. Once we get that in all of the temporary braces and stakes can come out and put up our rope and hop twine and get these bad boys in the ground. :D

582283_10200936181266380_852312811_n.jpg

482775_10200936181786393_191832331_n.jpg

my god...you don't know what you're getting yourself into my friend. I have 4 high yielding plants and its a big job at picking time, not to mention watering and pruning in the spring/summer! you're going to have a lot of hops to brew with, how do you plan to dry them?

Apparently the bine 3060 plans are online somewhere. I haven't been able to find it yet though. The reason I know about these things is because I plan on starting a hop farm in eastern pa next year. Good luck to u

I'm pretty sure we don't have the plans on line any more. When we got a professional website done, a lot of that info didn't transfer.

If you look at our equipment website (Yeah, Bine Implement is part of Gorst Valley Hops.) you will see plenty of pictures of the equipment. Basically, its just a drum with picking fingers attached. Some of our growers have built their own and had luck with two drums but we subscribe to K.I.S.S. You can also see the basics of our separator. Trommel screen to get the big stuff and pressurized dribble belt for the small stuff.

If you are going to build your own, send me a note. I'll get you a contact to purchase the picking fingers from a Danhuaer rep direct. They can sell you pre-made picking fingers that are WAY better than what you can build and probably cheaper than the wire you would buy. Its what we do and it saves a boat load of time and $$'s.

Before you even think about buying ours, a Wolf or anyone other picker, you really should try building your own. Its a good winter time project.

But for the first two years, untie, drop them down, pick and then tie them back up. It will be worth more to you in the long run to give them the extra time to grow root mass than to have an easier harvest.

Thank you gvh dan... I will be in contact with you about the picking fingers.

Greenbudobeer, Yes it is pressure treated lumber. This bad boy has been getting alot of attention from low flying helicopters, it will be interesting to see how much it gets when there are green things growing buds all throughout it. Hopefully nobody gets to close to it... We will have some warning signs hung up so that anybody who wants to get really curious will think twice about their proximity.

I am amazed by the amount of people who have offered a helping hand in this project so far. I will owe quite a few people a batch of beer and/or some free hops when all is said and done.

Sorry about the holy cheap(my kindle fire doesn't know crap as a word yet lol)

Soo... Holy crap!!!( there nothing cheap about that much lumber)

I bet with that thing the government been checking you out from satellites:) I would have offered to help if I wasn't on the other side of the country, because I want to see this beast in action at the end of the season.

I glad you didn't use plain out of the bundle pine, I used pine 4x4s for posts for my garden and the rotted out in 3 years. The only down side is that there is a lot of talk about how pressure treated lumber likes to leach of some of its chemicals over time. I don't know if this is overly worrisome gardeners of the truth. I went with cedar with a natural flax seed oil for my planter box's, but the cost of it was ridiculous. The structure you made looks like it would last 30 years and withstand an earthquake!

All of the permanent braces will be high up. None of the lower braces you see will be used once the rack braces are put in place. The lumber for the rac braces, the I hooks, and 1600 feet of twine ordered.

We are in this one for the long hall. I hope this bad boy can make us some money because it sure has cost a pretty penny. ;)

For all the work my dad has done on this project I took him to his first Nationals game at Nats park. It was a glorious day, although it was strange not to be down on the field working with the guys. A nice day off resulting in a win for the Nats.

I will update again, hopefully, this weekend with some pictures of everything completed and plants in the ground.

basementbrewbrad said:
All of the permanent braces will be high up. None of the lower braces you see will be used once the rack braces are put in place. The lumber for the rac braces, the I hooks, and 1600 feet of twine ordered.

We are in this one for the long hall. I hope this bad boy can make us some money because it sure has cost a pretty penny. ;)

For all the work my dad has done on this project I took him to his first Nationals game at Nats park. It was a glorious day, although it was strange not to be down on the field working with the guys. A nice day off resulting in a win for the Nats.

I will update again, hopefully, this weekend with some pictures of everything completed and plants in the ground.

Just realized ur not too far away. Good luck with everything man.

thumb2_hop-yard-framing-complete-59299.jpeg

thumb2_hop-yard-framing-complete-2-59300.jpeg

Framing is complete along with a bluebird house in the center for the little fellas. My dad decided to put a house up for them since they have been eyeballing it all along. All of the rack braces are permanent and this thing should withstand any major thunder storms or whatever mother nature throws at it.

I like the birdhouse, but if you are doing it right the birds will build their nests right in your bines. Every year, we have to stop the picker several times to because someone missed a birds nest. The catch on the teeth and stop the rotation. I'm not complaining because I would rather deal with that then deal with all the bugs those bird eat.

Glad I checked this thread out, these are my old stomping grounds! I went to high school in Stafford a little over 10 years ago (1 year at Stafford high, the next 2 at Colonial Forge) and just planted my first hops at my Dad's place out in the country near rt. 17 2 weekends ago. Bonus: I work across the street from Nat's park and am a huge fan (by the way, you guys do a kickass job with the grounds/field, beautiful stadium).

I just did 6 centennials in the pole/teepee method, but cannot wait for the first sprouts. I have a small backyard garden at my place and just really enjoy working outside growing stuff, I hope it continues to be fun and rewarding for you too.

If my life isn't going crazy I'll try and send a message your way around harvest time to lend another set of hands.

As far as getting checked out by the low-flying copters, I am sure you know (but doubt many others on here would) that Quantico is a big CIA training base :p

Glad I checked this thread out, these are my old stomping grounds! I went to high school in Stafford a little over 10 years ago (1 year at Stafford high, the next 2 at Colonial Forge) and just planted my first hops at my Dad's place out in the country near rt. 17 2 weekends ago. Bonus: I work across the street from Nat's park and am a huge fan (by the way, you guys do a kickass job with the grounds/field, beautiful stadium).

Thank you... There is quite a bit of time and effort that goes into the field there. John, Mike, and Matt, (the head groundskeeper, assistant, and 2nd assistant) are the best in the business and it shows on that field. I always have to think how lucky I am when I am out painting the batters box before a game or repairing the clay after the game. I was glad to work last night and see them win again!

I went to colonial forge... My parents about 2 miles away from it. Since they tore all the woods out from in front of the hop yard by the seperate garage you can see the school from the top of the garage.

Thank you... There is quite a bit of time and effort that goes into the field there. John, Mike, and Matt, (the head groundskeeper, assistant, and 2nd assistant) are the best in the business and it shows on that field. I always have to think how lucky I am when I am out painting the batters box before a game or repairing the clay after the game. I was glad to work last night and see them win again!

I went to colonial forge... My parents about 2 miles away from it. Since they tore all the woods out from in front of the hop yard by the seperate garage you can see the school from the top of the garage.

Yeah, it is a good time to be a Nat's fan. I could only listen to the first game on the radio, and read a recap on the second one, but tonight I get to watch it on TV and I am stoked! I am taking my Dad to a game on the 13th for his B-day, I love days at the ballpark.:mug:

I couldn't believe how much of the woods they tore out around Colonial Forge. I graduated in 2001 (first graduating class, woo-hoo) and would never have imagined what it looks like nearby today. When I was down 2 weeks ago planting hops was the first time I had seen they cleared out the woods across the street, and not just the ones down Courthouse where they put up the new Augustine development. I guess it was bound to happen eventually though as the DC suburbs continue to sprawl out.

Good luck with the hops farm, I'll try and remember you are down there and maybe swing by for some local purchases once you have the whole operation up and running. What is the plan for the final product anyways? Selling fresh locally/farmers markets, pelletizing and shipping, shipping fresh/leaf hops, selling to a packager/distributer?

I plan on starting off locally then moving to shipping them fresh. I don't expect a whole lot this year but if they do well I will find homes for them. The woods across the street from Forge... that is where my parents live.

Everything is planted... As you can see in the pictures the headers are facing inward so we can mount the I hooks and hang the plants properly. Each Variety has its own row with an empty 6ft section between them.

558820_10200961948790552_1153733799_n.jpg

534060_10200961951190612_1714171446_n.jpg

563818_10200961952030633_50968053_n.jpg

24654_10200961953390667_1599746698_n.jpg

484141_10200961954510695_869871882_n.jpg

150755_10200961956230738_984080970_n.jpg

waiting to be covered

408143_10200961960430843_66255677_n.jpg

done

Help Please! Does anybody have a recommendation on how high to mount our lower strings that we are going to tie the vertical strings for the bines? We would like to mount them high enough to get a tiller between the plants so that would be about 1ft; would that be too high?

Wow...that's a heck of a set up. I'm still not quite seeing what you are doing but I'm guessing 2 twine per rhizome? If I'm guessing correctly, you are planning on running a wire/rope about a foot above the hill and then tie coir twine (or similar) from that bottom wire up to an "I hook" screwed into one of those 2 x 4's?

OK, 1 foot is fine. That's what we do. We run simple 12 gauge wire about a foot off the ground and above the hills. We attach our drip irrigation to it and also tie the twine off. Since our design has a bit less structure, we tie it pretty tight so there isn't a lot of swing. Yes, we have to wait a little longer to train but its usually only a day or so.

As far as tilling goes...the first year you can go for it, but I would stop after the second or third time and put down a cover crop. We've found dutch white clover or similar works best. It chokes out the weeds without stealing nitrogen. Leaving it dirt invites disease and pests. Plus constant tilling means by year 2 or 3, you'll be hitting the rhizomes and stressing the plant.

All of the string Line hung up this weekend after 2 days of work and 200 dollars worth of string... Almost all of the columbus are coming up, a good amount of williamette are coming up, while only a few of the centennial and cascade are popping up so far.

58142_10200975062478386_1834431929_n.jpg

150440_10200975062718392_1220582273_n.jpg

529507_10200975063358408_401584918_n.jpg

534220_10200975063678416_1067275748_n.jpg

558653_10200975063998424_2106328655_n.jpg

58000_10200975064318432_721321203_n.jpg

559964_10200975064478436_852868816_n.jpg

319913_10200975064918447_1375220284_n.jpg

basementbrewbrad said:
All of the string Line hung up this weekend after 2 days of work and 200 dollars worth of string... Almost all of the columbus are coming up, a good amount of williamette are coming up, while only a few of the centennial and cascade are popping up so far.

$200 worth of string. Is it laced with gold?? Thats alot for twine. Where are you getting this from. Let me know if you need more man. I will have some for sale. Since i bought a bale of coir

$200 worth of string. Is it laced with gold?? Thats alot for twine. Where are you getting this from. Let me know if you need more man. I will have some for sale. Since i bought a bale of coir

Combination of twine from Lowes and some hop twine from online that the shipping was ridiculous on. All the nylon rope for the bottom wasn't cheap either since we needed 280 feet of that as well. All together we used 10 100 foot bundles of twine from Lowes and 450 feet of hop twine for the bines to climb on

basementbrewbrad said:
Combination of twine from Lowes and some hop twine from online that the shipping was ridiculous on. All the nylon rope for the bottom wasn't cheap either since we needed 280 feet of that as well. All together we used 10 100 foot bundles of twine from Lowes and 450 feet of hop twine for the bines to climb on

Understand. Buying in bulk really does payoff in the long run. Are you doing one continuous twine down the rows or each individual?

WOW!!!!! I put 60 in the dirt (20 horizon 20 willamette and 20 cascade) And MAN I gotta tell ya. Prepare yourself for a BOATLOAD of work... Its fun work and a great way to enjoy the hobby "IF" you like to grow things "AND" you like hard work!

Well done man that is 1 epic build for hops!

Cheers
Jay

My dad decided he wanted to make signs out of a cedar that had fallen down on the property. He cut pieces of the trunk and carved the varieties free hand with a dremel tool.

564461_10201013226432461_1084838941_n.jpg

32603_10201013229072527_800773583_n.jpg

532801_10201013229032526_358127332_n.jpg

548958_10201013229112528_614652641_n.jpg

Some of the initial growth as of friday, eight days after planting.

602159_10201013230712568_1052327564_n.jpg

64217_10201013230752569_1069373314_n.jpg

Cool cedar signs, your dad made, he deserves a beer. Im curious as to which variety broke ground first? I'm gonna guess that it was the cascade.

Cool cedar signs, your dad made, he deserves a beer. Im curious as to which variety broke ground first? I'm gonna guess that it was the cascade.

actually it was Willamette. They were the largest rhizomes and had the most eyes on them.

As of sunday 61 plants are up and several are above the bottom rope and ready to climb. They seem to be growing fast for only being in the ground for 2 and a half weeks. I guess they are just acceding my expectations and I couldn't be happier with them. My one hope is that the rest of those plants come up, or at least a majority of them.

What is your plan for weed control? I've found with 20 plants that the hardest component is staying ahead of the weeds.

We've had a lot of luck using dutch white clover or a similar low growing clover. It fixes its own nitrogen, chokes out weed and stays short enough to let the hops grow without competing. Of course, it still takes a lot of hand weeding the first few years to give the clover a chance to to control.

When you have to pick are you just going to climb around on the 1/2 acre jungle gym set you built? That thing is close to being a new wonder of the world.

Looks great and like you are taking very good care in your first year. Weed were our biggest problem the first year, and caterpillars.

When you have to pick are you just going to climb around on the 1/2 acre jungle gym set you built? That thing is close to being a new wonder of the world.

Looks great and like you are taking very good care in your first year. Weed were our biggest problem the first year, and caterpillars.

Put a ladder up on the header and put a piece of plywood across it so it functions as a walkboard... Drop the bines that are ready to be picked down. Then after we pick them we hang the plants back up so that we get more roots established.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I was curious about how many bines, you plan to keep the first year? Only a few of them, a bunch, or all of them?

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I was curious about how many bines, you plan to keep the first year? Only a few of them, a bunch, or all of them?

We plan on keeping pretty much all of them that come up this year so that we can get plenty of root growth in the first year.

Back