DIY Christmas Gift

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyherrick

Reaction score
I couple years ago I received a capcatcher as a gift that magnetizes to my fridge. I Love it so much I wanted my brothers and brother-in-laws to all have one. I didn't want to buy one, because it says something positive when it is DIY.

I started with a red oak board (my brother gave to me from scrap pile at his work) and ripped it down and cut them into sections. 3 and 1/4 wide and 9 and 3/4 inch tall. I nipped off all corners, and used a borrowed router to give it a nice edge. I sanded them until smooth.

My wife penciled their names in calligraphy, and I used a wood burner ($9 from walmart) to burn their names in. The next step was to apply a clear coat. I used Sikkens Cetol Window clear coat (satin finish). I brushed first coat then sanded, used an old shirt to wipe on second coat then sanded, and last wiped on final coat.

I ordered 1/4 inch thick magnet sheets from Magnetking.com (expensive shipping) and cut and glued magnets on the back. I then attached openers (from midwest supplies) on the board.

My wife ordered a vinyl clear sheets from somewhere online and I cut to size for the pocket. I finally used nickel finish furniature nails to attach vinyl (big headache). Four on the front and one on the bottom.

All in all I am proud of these things and found some enjoyment on going through the steps. I searched for plans online for capcatchers and found nothing, so I thought I should make a nice post for everyone. Kind of lengthy post but It was hard to break it down.

Enjoy!!

2012-12-08 14.43.33.jpg

2012-12-08 14.17.16.jpg

2012-12-08 14.43.43.jpg

2012-12-14 20.08.10.jpg

2012-12-15 10.41.37.jpg

Very cool, well done....just curious, if you put some of the magnet sheet flat against the board where your vinyl pocket is, would it attract and catch the cap when you open the bottle? I've seen this style of cap catcher (magnetic) and wonder how strong the magnet has to be to catch the cap....

Thanks...and again, awesome job on these really cool cap catchers.

Thanks. I put the magnet along the whole back. My magnets not strong enough but would be cool to have it attract.

I should have posted a thread before i finished to get some input. Might make one for myself. Thanks

Back