1st brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too late :)

it was 72* this morning, a bubble every other second or so in the airlock. I would pick a balls hot week to do this and my AC bill is going to be higher than I would like this month - but I hope it will be well worth it.

Kate

CircusHooker said:
Too late :)

it was 72* this morning, a bubble every other second or so in the airlock. I would pick a balls hot week to do this and my AC bill is going to be higher than I would like this month - but I hope it will be well worth it.

Kate

For a first brew, it will probably be fine. I like to keep my ales around 66°F, maxing out at about 68°. What yeast? If you used a Belgian strain, warmer temps are great!

For a first brew, it will probably be fine. I like to keep my ales around 66°F, maxing out at about 68°. What yeast? If you used a Belgian strain, warmer temps are great!

I'm using the Midwest Amber Ale kit....it was a dry yeast. I hydrated per the instructions. I'll bring them temp down to 68* when I get home tonight and leave it that way while I'm gone over the weekend.

Thanks!

Hey, that's the same kit I just started with.

It just hit 2 weeks in the fermenter today. Plan on bottling it Monday or Tuesday of next week. I'm on midnight the next 4 nights :-x

So far, it's been going great! I've tasted it after doing hydrometer readings, and I think it's going to turn out awesome. In fact, I've already purchased my next kit to start on as soon as I get this one bottled.

Best of luck to you!

Hey, that's the same kit I just started with.

It just hit 2 weeks in the fermenter today. Plan on bottling it Monday or Tuesday of next week. I'm on midnight the next 4 nights :-x

So far, it's been going great! I've tasted it after doing hydrometer readings, and I think it's going to turn out awesome. In fact, I've already purchased my next kit to start on as soon as I get this one bottled.

Best of luck to you!

Nice! What are you doing next?

I purchased the pumpkin ale kit from Midwest. I figured, by the time it gets going and conditions, it would be mid September. Perfect for the fall!

Next week, I'm also making a trip to home depot to purchase everything necessary for a wort chiller. I priced it at about $40.

And I need a secondary fermenter for my pumpkin ale. So either a Carboy or another bucket is in order.

Does your brewing kit have 2 buckets? If you have a bottling bucket you have a secondary fermenter already! When I started I would ferment in the bottling bucket, secondary in the one without the spigot then transfer back to the bottling bucket on bottling day. You can always just transfer it twice on bottling day if you secondary in the bottling bucket.

Oh and good luck on you first brew, the first time is...well you know, scary and exciting at the same time!

Does your brewing kit have 2 buckets? If you have a bottling bucket you have a secondary fermenter already! When I started I would ferment in the bottling bucket, secondary in the one without the spigot then transfer back to the bottling bucket on bottling day. You can always just transfer it twice on bottling day if you secondary in the bottling bucket.

Oh and good luck on you first brew, the first time is...well you know, scary and exciting at the same time!

Ha! Nice. My kit came with the fermenting bucket and a bottling bucket but only one lid. So I may be patient enough to last another week before buying another bucket ;)

We will have to see.

I'm shopping for my next kit...thinking the Northern Black IPA.

Back