Dry Hopping Walkthrough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice - me like!

you wrote "These hops soak in the beer for anywhere from a few days to several weeks" - does anyone really dry-hop for several weeks? wouldn't this result in a really grassy taste?

Thanks for the write up! I've noticed you and a few other sources use the nylon bags. I'm wondering if I can use some extra muslin bags I have laying around? Or would those be too porous and let pellet fragments escape?

nice - me like!

you wrote "These hops soak in the beer for anywhere from a few days to several weeks" - does anyone really dry-hop for several weeks? wouldn't this result in a really grassy taste?

It definitely could depending on the type of hops used. The most I've ever done is two weeks and it was just because I was lazy and didn't rack. Turned out fine though. We almost always do a week. how about you?

Thanks for the write up! I've noticed you and a few other sources use the nylon bags. I'm wondering if I can use some extra muslin bags I have laying around? Or would those be too porous and let pellet fragments escape?

Thanks DJ.. yeah, I use the paint strainer bags because I know they disposable, clean and work well. I think you would be fine using mulsin bags with whole leaf hops but I'm not sure for pellet though. You'll have to see how much gets through.

Some people even use panty hose lol.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll never dry-hop with a bag again, unless I do it in a bucket. It was hell trying to get that thing back out of the fermenter!

Nice write-up, though.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll never dry-hop with a bag again, unless I do it in a bucket. It was hell trying to get that thing back out of the fermenter!

Nice write-up, though.
Yeah, I don't typically dry hop this way with more than 2 ounces and using the 5 gallon bag definitely helps distribute the hop material for removal. You can also rack before removing the hops.

-TK

Updated the guide to state that dryhop flavor peaks at 5-7 days of contact.

Back