Please help .. sputtering keg still happening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I started a post earlier about a sputtering keg. I thought the problem was that I had 5/16 beer line going to a 1/4 barb, so I went and bought a 3/16 beer line instead. After putting that in, this is still happening. I posted a video on youtube...

In the video I get close to the regulator. It's set to 11-12 psi at this point. I've tried turning it up to 30 and down to 10 to see if there was any difference at all, but nothing seems to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely. The dip tube is on the out side and the connections won't even go on without forcing them on the incorrect side. There is a small 1 inch tube for the gas side. Unfortunately, I'm just getting started with this and I don't have parts to switch between kegs. I think I'm going to have to get another keg :(

Oh, and the keg is half full with normal tap water right now. All of the seals have been replaced except the poppet seals. The disconnects go on without resistance, and I don't see any leaks when spraying around my connections either.

It's FIXED! I found that I had left my o-ring off of my dip tube...when I put that on, the problem went away!! Now I can rack my beer :rockin:

[edit: just a bit too late on this ;) ]

Looking at the video, I would bet that either there is a pin hole or crack in the out dip tube, or the o-ring around the out dip tube is missing or damaged.

Before pulling the out dip tube for inspection, one thing you could try is to fill the keg with water, seal it back up, turn on the gas, and see if that sputtering stops. If it does, there's definitely a hole in the dip tube somewhere below the filled water line. If it still sputters, there may still be a hole, but it would have to be within an inch or so of the flange, which might help you to find it.

Still, all in all most likely it's the o-ring just below the out tube flange...

Cheers!

Back