Missing a malt, what can I do with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
I realized after I got home from the LHBS that I was missing one of the items on my list, that being a 1/4 lb of chocolate wheat. It's too far of a drive to go back for 60 cents worth of grain. I was planning on using that in a dunkelweizen, and without it it will be way too light. The other ingredients, which I have, are 5 lbs wheat and 4 lbs Munich. I don't have any Pilsener on hand. Can you make an acceptable hefe with Munich instead of Pilsener malt? The color would still be okay, just a little darker, but how will it affect the taste?

Just don't burn it, you don't want a dunkelstoutenweizen.

I think you'll be fine even without any chocolate / home-roasted malt. The Munich adds a lot of color on its own. You'll be a little light, but the chocolate won't add much, if any, flavor at that quantity, so who cares?

Soak it in warm water for an hour and toast in a flat pan at 400F for about 1.5 hours. Stir frequently until the color is almost black.

That's what I thought as well. I may just try making a pseudo-dunkel in that it just won't be dark enough. It's not for competition anyhow, so I don't suppose it will matter much. I was just really miffed at not having all the grain I needed.

Back