Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just planning to make an IPA with some first wort hoppage. Came in here to see if anyone else had the same idea and lo and behold, I find this gem!

I'll be using mash hops (Hersbrucker), FWH (Northern Brewer), flavor/aroma additions of Amarillo and Palisade, and dry hopping with East Kent Golding...I'm shooting for more of an English IPA.

I'm not sure about bittering yet...maybe Amarillo? Anyway, looks good, Ed. Similar to my grain bill...I'm using munich and british 50/60. Maybe I'll throw some flaked barley in there, too...thanks for the post.

I have been drinking this the past couple days. By far my best brew. Ed's description is dead on - "Spicy, malty, & very tasty!"

I get great lacing and a nitro pour like effect, but no good head retention. Seems to be common across the board with me. I think I need to balance my lines properly, rather than relying on a swizzle stick in the dip tube.

This was my first AG batch I did and I love it, though would prefer a little more hoppiness personally. Getting set to do batch #2 of it and will be using chinook and centennial. Thanks for the recipe Ed.

Whoops, accidentally order Nottingham instead of the US-05. What difference will it make to just use the Notty?

So I'm thinking to brew this, but I have a couple hops I want to use up.
I have 1oz Warrior, 1oz Centennial, 1oz Crystal, 1oz Chinook, & 2oz Cascade.

I like hoppy beers so I was thinking:

10# 2-row
2# Vienna
2# 8oz Rye Malt
8oz Flaked Barley
8oz Crystal 10
6oz Crystal 60

1oz Crystal - FWH
0.5oz Warrior - 60 min
0.5oz Warrior - 20 min
0.5oz Chinook - 20 min
0.5oz Cascade - 10 min
0.5oz Chinook - 1 min
0.5oz Cascade - 1 min
1oz Cascade - 7day Dry Hop

Yeast - White Labs Cali Ale 001 slurry

I know this would change it, but would it muddy the hops & the rye?

Two quick questions:
1) What difference is there between using the flaked barley for head/body vs. using carapils/dextrine?
2) when I enter this into beersmith I get much higher IBUs than you enter here, I get 84.4 using Tinseth method, any idea where the discrepancy could be?

Thanks

Two quick questions:
1) What difference is there between using the flaked barley for head/body vs. using carapils/dextrine?
2) when I enter this into beersmith I get much higher IBUs than you enter here, I get 84.4 using Tinseth method, any idea where the discrepancy could be?

Thanks

1- I'd say the body is similar but the head retention is different in that the flaked barley makes the head last forever and be very chunky. So stiff that it is like beaten egg whites. You can actually get it to hold a peak. Though this didn't happen until a month in the bottle.

2- maybe your expected FG is lower than Ed's. A lower FG will result in Higher IBU. Also could be pellet vs whole hops.

Oh yeah, and this beer is by far my favorite out of all my brews. I like to tweak it just a bit for subtle differences. The one thing I won't change is the amount of flaked barley. Damn it's good!

I've got a pound of Cascade and a pound of Chinook that I'm trying to put to use. Could I sub either of these in for the Tettnanger addition, or would it be drastically different?

Anyone dry hop this one? Sounds like it doesnt need it but was wondering if anyone had success...

Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA and Hop Rod Rye are both dry hopped, so I see no reason why you couldn't do the same with this recipe.

I just brewed this Saturday and I can't wait to try it. I'd like to try dry hopping for the first time. Should I go with more Chinook, or use Cascade? Those are the two I have on hand.

I dry hopped it with an oz. of cascade pellets. I bottled it 10 days ago and am planning on trying my first one on Christmas eve. Ill let ya know how it turns out.

Well, I took gravity reading at day 8 and showed 1.015. My OG was 1.06 going in to the fridge. I'm thinking my FG should come in just below 1.01 since my OG was a bit lower than the recipe. My t-stat is set to 62, but the fridge is in my garage which has been pretty cool lately. My fridge temps for the first few days bounced between 59 and 63. I read the lower range for the Safale 05 is 59, so I figured no problem. Now it's freezing outside, and I checked my fridge temps yesterday and it was 52. I planned on leaving it alone for 3 weeks, cold crashing, and kegging, but now I'm wondering if the yeast will be able to finish the job (Assuming it should end up below 1.01).

I thought about bringing it inside for a week to get the temp up a bit (house is anywhere from 67 to 74), but I'd rather just leave it be so I don't slosh it around moving it. The forecast looks like this next week is going to stay pretty cold. I can't decide if I should just leave it alone, or shake it a bit to rouse the yeast, or bring it inside maybe...

Any advise?:confused:

By the way bjzelectric, how'd the dry hopping with Cascade come out?

Leave it sit for 3-4weeks then check gravity and package it. Should be done by then. Contrary to what many kit instructions tell you, one week is not long enough for the yeast to finish their work.

Leave it sit for 3-4weeks then check gravity and package it. Should be done by then. Contrary to what many kit instructions tell you, one week is not long enough for the yeast to finish their work.

I'm planning to ferment for at least 3 weeks like you recommend, I'm just afraid the yeast will go dormant since I'm several degrees below the ferment range listed for that yeast. The timing isn't what worries me, it's the temp I'm debating on.

I tried my first bottle of this the other day. MMMM! Im not good at describing beers but I must say that this one has a nice "bite" to it. Hop and rye bite. The chinook dominate the front while the rye comes thru @ the end and the cascade definately add a nice finish to it. This batch had only been bottled for 2 weeks so it was definately undercarbed and "green" yet delicious. I def recommend dry hopping but Im sure the original is great too.

Just curious what you guys are carbing and serving this at. I read that IPAs are generally carbed lower than a regular pale ale, but wheat and rye beers seem to be higher.

How much are you folks carbing this Rye IPA?

And at what serving temps?

Mine turned out great by the way (even with the minimal carbonation has so far).:ban:

I would wager that the majority of people here do batch sparging where a mashout is not important. If you want to do one, I think the temp is pretty universal at 180 F or something like that. I've never done one myself.

Never mash out higher than 168F or you risk extracting tannins (which can even happen at lower temps when you factor in pH and time.) You can mash out as low as 162F (that's the temp that begins to denature the enzymes.) A mash out is never necessary and if you don't mash out you'll simply end up with a drier beer.

I brewed this awhile back, had it in the primary for 3 weeks and in the secondary for another 2 weeks. After fermentation I kegged it and it's been there for close to a week and a half at 11psi. When I sample it now there's a great malty flavor but absolutely no hop flavor what so ever. Did I wait too long to drink this? Any thoughts?

I brewed this awhile back, had it in the primary for 3 weeks and in the secondary for another 2 weeks. After fermentation I kegged it and it's been there for close to a week and a half at 11psi. When I sample it now there's a great malty flavor but absolutely no hop flavor what so ever. Did I wait too long to drink this? Any thoughts?

I over-carbed mine a bit at first and I think it gave it too much bite. I backed off the CO2 and it got better carbonation wise. It did lose quite a bit of the bitterness and hop aroma though. I've wondered if this was due to me messing with the CO2 level and how much aroma was escaping each time I bled off some of the CO2.

Overall I was pleased with the recipe, but mine did lose it's hoppiness pretty fast. :(

What do you guys think about either mashing a lil higher (166-168F maybe?) or upping the caramel malt to sweeten this beer up a bit for the masses? Or will that take it too far out of the Rye/IPA style?

It's still green. Patience will pay off.

Ed, i have been enjoying this beer for a couple weeks and is a huge hit with everyone who has tried it. I think it will be one recipe i consistently make and the head, its too good to be true. Thanks for a terrific beer.

Going to brew this on Saturday.
I usually do 3 week primary, cold crash, keg, then "set it and forget it" to carb for 2-3 more weeks. Will that be enough time for this one to hit its stride?

thanks

Tapped this keg a week or 2 ago - loving it.
I used MO as the the 10# base malt.
The high abv is very sneaky, it's a strong but smooth beer at the same time - a lot going on with the flavor.
I think I will tweek the recipe with some late Amarillo next time - and there definetly will be some next times.
Oh, and I think I'm done w/ Carapills now, only flaked barley from here on out

I'm going to brew this up tomorrow. I've had to make some hops substitutions - Saaz for Tettnanger, and Columbus for Chinook. I can't wait to try it out when all is said and done.

Thanks for the recipe.

I just brewed a batch of this and I tasted a sample before I pitched the yeast and it was extremely bitter. Will this mellow out as the beer ages?

I did use the biab method and put the in tettnanger hops once I pulled the grain bag.

Latest posts

Back