Have an old jockey Box w/ stainless coils.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto

ARC Brewing
Reaction score
and I was looking for a solution to my cooling of wort in the summertime. Winter Time, I can just hook up the garden hose to the Chirron and do not have an issue. I have a March Pump to throw into the equation. How would this work?

Won't the Shirron chiller work in summertime?
Maybe use the jockey box as a pre-chiller if your hose water is too warm but seems like a lot of hassle because you'd really have to clean out that jockey coil to run unfermented wort through it..

Well, if you still want to use it as a jockey box, run some hot PBW through the coil with your pump, then starsan, then RINSE. Then, do 2 things:

1) Continually run water into the jockey box, as you also drain it from the bottom. Recirc the wort back into the kettle, preferably in a whirlpool configuration. You'll want to drain from a diptube at the bottom, while returning the wort back to the surface at an angle. Check out MrMalty.com for pics.

2) Once you get down to 120F or so, stop draining from the bottom of the cooler, turn off the water going in, then dump a bag of ice in....or use all the ice you have in your fridge's icemaker. You should be able to rapidly cool to 70F.

OR,

You could yank the coil, get some compression fittings, and make yourself an immersion chiller.

Won't the Shirron chiller work in summertime?
Maybe use the jockey box as a pre-chiller if your hose water is too warm but seems like a lot of hassle because you'd really have to clean out that jockey coil to run unfermented wort through it..

Not even close in the summertime, Texas be hot. Think, I will try the Immersion chiller choice. Thanks for the suggestions.

fill your mash tun with water, ice, and salt. Start cooling with tap water until you get it down to like 100F, then switch your IC over to the ice water and Pump that **** through the IC. I'll be under 32F if you add the salt.

I turned mine into 2 IC's. Using city water pressure it works fine, and it also works well with a submersible pond pump, but the flow rate is slower. I plan to build a new big IC but this one and the one I gave a friend has worked well for a number of years. Mine is 5/16" OD, I don't know what size your coils are. What I do on the warmer months (also in Dallas) is run the IC on city water to break 100˚ and then recirculate ice water in my mash tun (cooler) with a pond pump. With any IC keeping the IC moving around, or rocking the BK speeds things up immensely. ALso because the coils stack tight, I eventually ran some ss wire between them in 3 places, both to hold the coil steady and to provide some room for wort to circulate between the coils.

Back