Opinions on the roto-keg system- HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's teensy! Only 12 inches high??? and it only holds a gallon or a gallon and a half!
don't think I'd touch them!

The size is ok, becuase im not blessed with a second fridge let a lone one devoted to beer. Plus i still like to have some bottles. Besides the size is it something of decent quality? Its co2 charged so the beer should taste good and last a decent amount of time right?

the size and the fact that it's co2 charged have no bearing on the taste i'm afraid - what goes in comes out. :).
i'm not familiar with the system otherwise to comment on it. sorry

My basic take on it without any reali time experience using it is that I would drink the contents three days. 1.5 gallon translates to 192 ounces, or roughly, "9" 22oz bottles (8.7 actually). So you need to have like 4 of these for single 5 gallon batch. So, it seems you would need a bunch of them to be truly successful.

BUT, according to the EDMONTON HOMEBREWERS GUILD, they said the following: Roto Keg w/ Cartridges– Leaks CO2, OK for water treatment or Flower Planter

Now we are getting somewhere.
I defenetly dont want a system that leakes co2 when its new.

Heres what im looking for:
Small inexpensive kegging system that wont take up too much room in my fridge. I dont have a second fridge to use for beer. I dont mind bottling some of the batch, but when my friends come over, id rather have a large quantity to draw the first glass from rather 10 12 oz bottles.

Ive also considered the 5L mini kegs, with the co2 tap on them. Once again size is key. Would the beer only last a short period of time in those, knowing im using the co2 tap?

OtherWhiteMeat said:
Now we are getting somewhere.
I defenetly dont want a system that leakes co2 when its new.

Heres what im looking for:
Small inexpensive kegging system that wont take up too much room in my fridge. I dont have a second fridge to use for beer. I dont mind bottling some of the batch, but when my friends come over, id rather have a large quantity to draw the first glass from rather 10 12 oz bottles.

Ive also considered the 5L mini kegs, with the co2 tap on them. Once again size is key. Would the beer only last a short period of time in those, knowing im using the co2 tap?
I've never used one, but have you considered Party Pigs? They lay on their side after you fill them, so they don't take up a ton of room in the refrigerator, and it only takes two of them for a five gallon batch.

As I've said, I've never used one, but the guy at my LHBS says those folks who have them rave about them - until they graduate to corny kegs, anyway.

How about 22 oz bottles? Or a 2 liter as someone else pointed out. To me though, plastic just seems wrong. Cracking open that brown bottle is just part of the ritual I guess.. but a keg would be ok with me! If I drank more or had friends who drank something other than clydesdale piss I'd use the 22 ouncers for gatherings and some 12 ouncers for me when I don't feel like drinking a lot. Oh, you could just get in the habit of making some high gravity beer.. then 12 oz would be all you need :D

Back