Any stay at home dads here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony4444

Reaction score
My daughter is 19 months, so that means 19 months of the most challenging and rewarding job I've ever had. But my wife and I knew going in that a lot of sacrifice would be needed for one of us to stay home with the kid. For instance, I so want to move on from Mr. Beer but I have to wait till money frees up, (I'm hoping once she's out of diapers, some of that money could be put toward my new obsession:)).

Anyways I was just curious to know how many men decided to stay home with kids, and if maybe you might have some tips for a noob.

Well Im kinda a stay at home dad, I wake up at 8:00am with my son and take care of him until 5:00pm when I go to work.I get done at 2:00am and do it all over again. Once you dont have diapers anymore it definately frees up a lot of money. You could easily do extract batches on the stove while your kids are taking a nap as well as bottle and other things.

I'm part-time, too. Stay at home in the mornings with my 4 yo before she goes to daycare for the afternoon and I go to work or work from home.

I didn't start brewing until my kids were 3 and 5 so I don't have any decent tips. I'm with riclark, though, on being able to get some brewing related stuff done when the kid is napping.

Get her out of diapers, and on to real food, and you'll be surprised at how much time AND money free up !

I've been a SAHD for 4 years now. My youngest is 10 Mo. and I totally love doing it. I only wish I could get some vacation days... alone! :D !!

I stay at home with my almost 12 month old daughter. I used to brew any day of the week, now I brew less often and only on weekends.

I think I could probably squeeze and extract batch in during the week, but I've got enough beer in kegs that I'm not hurting to extend the pipeline

i'm a sahd of 3 girls. Oldest is finally in public school. Full time. Brewing is my only solace cuz I've figured out how to do it with minimal effort so I can brew with the kids here. I also visit dadstayshome.com as popodopolus - lots of cool dads there who brew and lots more who don't.

I've stayed at home mornings to school my two kids from their very first day in kindergarten. Ben is now in eighth grade, probably will go to private school for high school. Chelsea is in her sophomore year at private school, but I homeschooled her through eighth grade too.

Most men don't have any idea what a blessing it is to spend this much time (on a regular, planned basis) with their kidlets.

I heard/read a statistic once that most fathers have a grand total of the equivalent of ninety days of time spent with their kids while the kids are at home, growing up. I wanted to be the opposite of that concept!

I have always had an afternoon job, when school is over for the day.

I was hurt on the job and started collecting my pension @34 years old from the PD. We had 3 kids and it made more sense for me to stay home with them and my wife went back to work . After the youngest got into HS I went back to work ...

I'm a stay at home dad as well. Right now, I'm getting my youngest (4) ready for kindergarten. I do all my brewing on the stove, so he's always right there with me. Wouldn't matter where I go though, he'll follow me. I've gone out on freezing cold days to do some BBQ and he'll follow me right out the door.

Empty Nesters here, but I am currently a stay at home House B!tch. :(

Cooking, cleaning, shopping, dishes, pet care.....I should creatively add this to my resume......

I have also been a SAHD for 4 years. Right now my 4 yr old is in daycare, but the 8 month old requires lots of attention......except during naptime when I usually hang out in the chatroom.

You can get quite a bit of brewing related activities done when the kids go to sleep at night. Nap times could be utilized for smaller activities like bottling, making starters, cleaning, etc.

I'm lucky since SWMBO normally takes the kids out shopping & driving around on the weekends, leaving me to brewing related activities.

Another SAHD here too. I have Three kids 6.5, 3.5, and 1.5, It can be the hardest job I've ever done some days but overall Its great. My wife travels on business about once a month I find that the hardest time.

Nap times are getting less frequent now.....How I miss naps

My brewing is done on weekends, I haven't got a brew done in under 7 hours yet. I guess I need more practice

:mug:

I was a stay at home dad for about 2 years. I've been back to work for about 14 months now. It was a very rewarding thing to spend time with my son as he was growing up. However, I am glad to be back to work. He is enjoying daycare now. Just want to say it's nice to know that other guys out there who do and have done the same.

I'm surprised at the number of us here that have been stay at home dads. I only know one other one around here and we have nothing in common. He quit his 200k job to become a chef and ended up SAHD.

I agree with everyone else,Spending time with my son is awesome. Downside Between getting home from work and getting back up in the morning I average 4 hours of sleep so I get wore out but Ive got used to it Im gonna miss him when he starts school. I dont want to think about when I get to walk him to his first day of kindergharten.

I am surprised as well. Some people even looked down on me for quitting work to stay at home. It just made sense with our situation, and I really hated my job at the time! It's good to know there are good dads out there...hopefully more of us than there are dead-beat dads!!!

nice number of posters on this thread!

Just to restate that I think brewing is a wonderful activity for sahds. I was racking my brain after the first year to figure out something I could do while with the kids at home, especially in winter, and I've got the brewing dialed in to where I can do it with them around. It took awhile and sometimes it's aggravating but no one gets hurt.

chris

Wow, I am surprised at the # of SAHDs... I dont, because if I did, we would be broke before long!

I am a never at home dad...

I was officially a stay at home dad for 8 months. We decided to buy a bigger house, I had to go back to work. I now work 3-11 pm. I'm not sure which gets stranger looks: telling people you're a stay at home dad, or that you're a janitor!

Latest posts

Back