Just bottled w/concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yosemite Bing

Reaction score
Just finished bottling and I am concerned over a few things.

First, I was getting a fairly strong ester like aroma the whole time. I am brewing an abbey style however I did not envision it being so strong. In fact I an finish and the room still has an aroma in it an hour later.
Second, during bottling I was fairly sloppy at times while using the spigot and I am certain air was introduced. Is there anything I can do about preventing oxidation or reduce the effects?

Thanks,
Gene

WHat were your fermentation temps? Being able to look at the recipe might also help, but I would guess that the fermentation temps were in the high range leading to increased esters (not always a bad thing in Belgians, however).

The beer is young. everything will smell stronger, taste nastier and look stranger then it will in a few weeks. Air will always be introduced. As long as you didnt sit there with a stirrer and keep stirring the bejesus out of your beer and sloshing it all over it will be fine, and there is really nothing you can do to reduce the effect of any oxygen that got in. Just remember to let your beer age more then a week before you try it and become depressed that you made bad beer. Beer is like that cougar at the bar. After a while it will just get better, or really really ugly

Thanks for the comments. The fermenter was pegged at around 75-80 the whole time. Around 3 1/2 weeks now. Also the ingredients. 6lbs light DME, 1 lb candy sugar and 1lg honey. Plus about 1lb of grain (mash). By ingredients the OG was 1.065 with a ending of 1.010.

That's a pretty high temp. If you're concerned about an over-esthery beer in the future, try the t-shirt and frozen water bottle method.

I'm sure the beer will be fine, it just might take a little longer to mellow than it would have normally if it were fermented in a lower temp. Wyeast lists optimal temperatures for each strain of yeast on their website.

Back