Dead fridge, finding good in the bad.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagen

Reaction score
Our food fridge died this week (at least the keggerator is still going strong). We had to order one and it won't be delivered until next Wednesday.

Now, some of you may say "Just take the beer out of the keggerator and use that for food." The rest of you, like me, would say "Yeah... right"

So, we had to get a big cooler and ice to keep our foodstuffs good for the duration. Well, the really big coolers were at least $65 for the 100qt. While looking around, I found 60qt coolers for $25, so we got 2. These are the 60 qt Ice Cube coolers. I noticed there is a drain spigot in the bottom. HEY IT'S A 15 GALLON MASH TUN!!! (Actually I knew that the second I saw them, but didn't mention that fact to SWMBO until after the purchase...)

Yup, after we get the new fridge, I'm gonna build a manifold for one so I can do big beers and have more than enough room for multiple step mashing and doing mash-outs.

WOOHOO!!!!:ban:

I think there is a guy that turns those into mash/lauter tuns. That is a great price. If they only made false bottoms for them.

Back