Craft beer in Florida?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
My GFs brother is getting married in Orlando next weekend. We decided to make a vacation out of it and fly down today and stay at Disney for the week (he works for Disney so we go a lot). I will also be visited my parents, who just moved down to Ft Myers area.

What are some good craft beers that I should try? I like trying different beers whenever I travel. I know Cigar City which I will try. I think Sea Dog is brewed down there but I can get that up here in RI.

Cigar City's Jai Alai IPA is a must to have on tap. But as weird as it sounds, Disney has a brewpub that the beer isn't too bad (or at least it wasn't last time I was down there). It's at the Boardwalk resort and it's called Big River Grille & Brewing. If your staying in the park at another resort it's easy to use the disney transportation system to get you there easily. Food was OK.... and of course it's always best to make a reservation at a Disney restaurant. Something to think about....:)

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/boardwalk/big-river-grille-and-brewing-works/

If you are there next weekend, it's the last weekend of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, where they have some passable brews.

Big River Grille Brewpub is within walking distance of the back exit of Epcot (between France and the UK).

The main attraction, as far as Florida beers, go, has got to be Cigar City. If you have a spare day, take the drive to Tampa on I4 and visit the taproom. If not, you should find Jai Alai, Maduru, Hotter than Helles, and Florida cracker in cans at pretty much any decent bottle shop (there is an ABC not far from Downtown Disney). Check for any 750s; those are some really good beers - I think Bolita is one that should be relatively easy to find this month. But like I said, try to visit the brewery if you can and get a couple of flights - it's the best craft beer in the southeast!

Florida = Budweiser.... Remember, Florida's population is about 70% redneck, 10% hispanic, 18% retirees, and 2% other. Rednecks rule in Florida, and they drink Budweiser products.

Guess I need to mention that I've lived in Florida for about 20 years now. My job is too good to allow me to leave, so I'm stuck in this state for the time being.

Good beer is really hard to find. I was excited when Yuengling showed up, and Sam Adams is always good. There are really few stores that cater to craft beer fans. Most stores are supplied by the local Bud distributors, so...

I've lived in the Gainesville area, and now in the panhandle. It's been this way since I moved here some 20 years ago. I also have a place in North GA.... Blairsville. A very VERY small town up in the mountains. The beer selection at the grocery stores blow away most specialty stores in the Pensacola area.

Thanks everyone. I definitely want to try Cigar City. Not sure we are gonna make it to Tampa but I think when I visit my parents we are going to a new Ford themed pub with a lot of good beers on tap. In RI we don't get much craft beers that are brewed in the area so anything down here will be different to me and worth the try.

We actually did go to that brew pub in Disney last year. Food was ehh and the beer was OK. Nothing great.

We are definitely doing the Food and Wine festival. Did it last year too. I liked it a lot. Not so much craft beets but beer/wine from other countries. Germany was really good.

My GFs brother is getting married in Orlando next weekend. We decided to make a vacation out of it and fly down today and stay at Disney for the week (he works for Disney so we go a lot). I will also be visited my parents, who just moved down to Ft Myers area.

What are some good craft beers that I should try? I like trying different beers whenever I travel. I know Cigar City which I will try. I think Sea Dog is brewed down there but I can get that up here in RI.

There's Orlando Brewing. Their brews are organic but taste kind of bland to me. There's just not much happening in Orlando except for the amusement parks, but I guess I'm kinda spoiled being from Denver.

How about any craft beers to buy at the store? What's a few good beers you guys typically buy? I went to Publix and got Fat Tire which I really like but can't get in RI.

Florida = Budweiser.... Remember, Florida's population is about 70% redneck, 10% hispanic, 18% retirees, and 2% other. Rednecks rule in Florida, and they drink Budweiser products.

Guess I need to mention that I've lived in Florida for about 20 years now. My job is too good to allow me to leave, so I'm stuck in this state for the time being.

Good beer is really hard to find. I was excited when Yuengling showed up, and Sam Adams is always good. There are really few stores that cater to craft beer fans. Most stores are supplied by the local Bud distributors, so...

I've lived in the Gainesville area, and now in the panhandle. It's been this way since I moved here some 20 years ago. I also have a place in North GA.... Blairsville. A very VERY small town up in the mountains. The beer selection at the grocery stores blow away most specialty stores in the Pensacola area.

Dude maybe that describes the Panhandle (which is culturally more Alabama than Florida) but along the I4 corridor there is a craft brew renaissance going on. BTW Florida is closer to 25% hispanic and only like 60% white so the redneck thing only applies to the backwater counties.

Swamphead, 7th sun and of course cigar city Also since you're in Orlando you should definitely hit up redlight redlight. Hands down the best beer bar in the state

Fort Myers Brewery!!! Naples Beach Brewery!!! Point Ybel Brewery (opening soon)!!!

Craft beer is blowing up in this area. Have your parents stop in to FMB and bring you a growler (32oz). Rob is a great guy making great beers!

Redlight Redlight is an excellent craft beer bar and consistently gets mentioned. If you plan on being in the actual Orlando area and not Kissimmee, other places include: Gnarly Barley, Oblivion Tap Room, Cask and Larder, which is technically Winter Park and a brewpub, but they make some pretty good beer, World of Beer, Lil Indies, Will's Pub, BART, Tap n' Grind, Smiling Bison, and I'm sure I'm missing some. We also have Hourglass brewery but their stuff has been lackluster thus far and I really wouldn't recommend going to Longwood just to visit. At some of these bars, you might be able to get some 7venth Sun on tap, which is a tiny brewery out of Dunedin.

As far as bottle shops, ABC is hit or miss. The Total Wine on Colonial Dr has a pretty good beer selection but I'm not sure of the Millenial Mall area Total Wine. Knightly Spirits down on Orange Blossom Trail in Kissimmee next to a Sedano's has a great beer selection as well as Big C Liquors off of University next to a Winn Dixie and Tijuana Flats.

Also, the Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater area is going through a huge beer renaissance with Cigar City leading the way. Also, there's Swamphead out of Gainesville, FL doing some pretty good stuff. Thus, I have no idea what smccarter is talking about.

I think when I visit my parents we are going to a new Ford themed pub with a lot of good beers on tap. .

Let me know when you are in the FM area. Craft beer and homebrewing are blowing up down here right now, and the people making it happen are as great as the beer.

Ford's garage is a nice place to grab a burger and a beer. They just opened up their 3rd location like 2 miles from my house in Miromar outlets.

Also, the Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater area is going through a huge beer renaissance with Cigar City leading the way. Also, there's Swamphead out of Gainesville, FL doing some pretty good stuff. Thus, I have no idea what smccarter is talking about.

This. There's 7 or 8 breweries open in this area plus all the nice craft beer bars that are here. Don't listen to the guy that said FL is BMC to only. He's obviously misinformed. You just have to do a little homework and the beer here is as good as anywhere else. Redlight Redlight is worth a trip.

Let me know when you are in the FM area. Craft beer and homebrewing are blowing up down here right now, and the people making it happen are as great as the beer.

Ford's garage is a nice place to grab a burger and a beer. They just opened up their 3rd location like 2 miles from my house in Miromar outlets.

Actually went there today. My parents house is about 5 minutes from there lol. I had the Cigar City IPA. It was good.

Anyone hear of BJs Brewhouse?

I've been to the BJs in Daytona. They have decent beers. Nothing insanely good but ok for a brewpub

If you get your fill of the local beers, I do know that Erie Brewing Company distributes in Florida and they make some good beers...strange recommendation, I know, but I like them. Their Scotch Ale, Railbender, is nice.

Back