Columbus, OH Winter Beerfest Jan. 11 & 12th 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbGator

Reaction score
The time has come:

www.columbusbeerfest.com

The Columbus Winter Beerfest returns to the Greater Columbus Convention Center this January for its 3rd annual event. In 2012, we were limited to just one night being available at the center. This year, we are back to 2 big nights....and in over 120,000 square feet of Exhibition space! We will be selling fewer Saturday night tickets, and adding what we call QUICKEE STATIONS to help eliminate long beer lines. These were very successful at our Summer Beerfest at the LC in August. We'll again have every Columbus brewery on hand, and be increasing the total number of beers available to 300!

Welcome to cbus, check out SODZ.org for the local homebrew club.

And who at sodz do i talk to about volunteering bad67z? I finally paid my dues and of course haven't made a meeting since.

New to home brewing Just joined Sodz
sounds like it will be good time!

It is a great organization that will, like this forum take years off of the learning curve. Not to mention the opportunity to "volunteer to set-up/pour/clean -up" at 4-8 events each year. Each event is at least $40 to get in to, usually they feed you and pay for parking. Oh and you get to sample while you toil away pouring. It is a GREAT deal for $15 a year.

Cheers.

I've never been to this, but am excited.

Any ideas of what to expect?

Time: Starts at 630 (VIP) / 730 - is there a set "end" time or just whenever people leave?

Food: They've got to have food, right? What do they typically have (e.g., Fair Food type stuff, or, maybe some Food-Truck-esque cuisine?)

People: Is it truly nuts with people? Will there be lines everywhere?

What else?

It will be crazy packed in there but its a large space. the lines are not that bad all. End time is around 11pm I think. There is a food court that has some typical over priced concession stand food, we usually go to barley's across the street and eat before hand. You will see lots of people with homemade pretzel necklaces walking around the place.

My bil and I volunteered last night, it was very well attended and quite enjoyable. The row of Ohio breweries was quite impressive! There were one or two there to my surprise that I had never heard of.

Had an amazing time at my first beer festival! Friendly people and great beer!

The best bit?

My buddy and I struck up a conversation with a California brewer who know a lot of other brewers who were there....we were invited "behind" the Sierra Nevada van for a tasting of some very exclusive brews, including:

Goose Island's Bourbon County Coffee

Goose Island's Bourbon County Coffee

New Belgium's Cocoa Mole Ale

None are available in Ohio, and all were amazingly dark and delicious!

We tried a few more, but, I'm a little forgetful of the names of the others for some reason. :tank:

Back