I need a creative way to hide my keezer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Improv241

Reaction score
Problem: I've been kegging for a few months now, and I'm done doing ice baths whenever we have a get-together at my place. I need to build a keezer (space for 4 minimum, 6 preferred) but it needs to look nice because SWMBO isn't a fan of most of the keezers. She said if I can "hide" it or make it blend in with the rest of the room, we can do it.

I know there are others on here that have gone through this similar problem.

We are looking to build a "bar area" in the room.

20121009_120624-1024x768.jpg

The bar is going to go behind this white/teal chair (and the chair is moving closer to the fireplace).

20121009_115829-768x1024.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? I know there MUST be some other people on here that had to go through the same thing!

This likely doesnt apply based on your post but you never know. My wife mandated that my keezer not be visible in my living room. I took off the old closet doors and built a bookcase door. I made a hollow back and 2 doors that open to expose the taps. I put the whole bookcase on wide swing hinges so i can easilly get the keezer in and out. I recently trimmed out the sides with quarter round and im going to paint the whole thing white in the near future so it looks like a built in.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/beer-closet-bookcase-340351/

I built two generations of a standalone keezer (tiki theme) but ultimately decided the "frat house" days are behind me. I built a small keezer-2 kegs-into my wet bar. Link in signature. There is also a video at the end, which demonstrates how I change the kegs.

A4J,

Wish I had seen your design when I did mine. Love the "front-loader" concept. Im assuming you added rubber seals around the back-side edge of the light colored wood, so even the space around the freezer is cooled? Does it lock or latch into position?

Great hidden concept. How did you light it? Auto when the doors open? Switch? Always on? What is your method/access for swapping kegs? Love it

From what I can see your best bet would be your entertainment stand A4J's taps on the top wouldn't work for you however you could have them coming out the side of the entertainment stand?

You guys remind me everyday to do everything I want with homebrewing BEFORE i get married :mug:

A4J,

Wish I had seen your design when I did mine. Love the "front-loader" concept. Im assuming you added rubber seals around the back-side edge of the light colored wood, so even the space around the freezer is cooled? Does it lock or latch into position?
Yup, there are seals all around. It isn't an airtight seal but air leakage is minimal. I actually used styrofoam as the seal and it's been a year and half since I finished building it. It's still holding up.

It doesn't lock/latch, per se. The weight of the keezer and the kegs keep it closed.

A4J said:
Yup, there are seals all around. It isn't an airtight seal but air leakage is minimal. I actually used styrofoam as the seal and it's been a year and half since I finished building it. It's still holding up.

It doesn't lock/latch, per se. The weight of the keezer and the kegs keep it closed.

Its approved!

Looks like I'm going to be doing a modded version of A4J's. I'm starting to plan it now and I'll post details as I get further into planning to get some advice from the masses.

Thanks a ton everyone.

Its approved!

Looks like I'm going to be doing a modded version of A4J's. I'm starting to plan it now and I'll post details as I get further into planning to get some advice from the masses.

Thanks a ton everyone.

Glad you got approval for it!

When I got taps in my kitchen I just came home with a cabinet one day and said "this is happening" luckily that went well at least. I will be following when you build.

Back