What to do with beer from Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikecshultz

Reaction score
In the next couple days I am going to take readings from my beer to see if it has stopped fermenting. However, I feel like each time I take a reading I will be pulling out a decent amount of my beer. My question is, can I put that beer back in the batch after I test it, or has it been too exposed to airborne microbes to be sanitary? I am going to sanitize the beaker, the beer thief, and the hydrometer but I am still worried that the exposure to the airborne microbes will contaminate it and I don't want to contaminate my whole batch. Any thoughts?

Drink if you want, I take 1 oz samples for a refractometer so i do drink it (or coat the palate for taste)

If as you say everything is sanitized you can pour it back in. Most people do this when they dont have a large enough batch to keep pulling from or its such a high ABV that you dont wanna taste it so "green" risking less of a finished volume.
Avoid aeration if pouring back when pulling samples later into fermentation

Drink it, I do.
A hydrometer sample runs about 3 oz. and you'll do 3 maybe 4 samples by the time you are ready to bottle. That adds up to about 1 12 oz beer.
You still have enough left in that 5 gallon batch (if you are making 5 gallon batches) for more than 2 cases of beer.

I make sure all of my testing equipment is washed and sanitized right before use so I can put the sample back. I keep out enough for a sip to taste. One reason why I always put it back is I do 2gl batches.

Well, now I feel like a dummy. Of course I should be drinking it. Makes me even more excited to test it.

Back