Berliner Weisse/ DMS question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiltedEmu

Reaction score
Going to brew a Berliner Weisse based on Jamil's recipe it calls for 4.2 lbs of Pilsner malt and 3 lbs of white wheat. Like the Spurhund Zunge recipe Jamil says that you only boil for 15 min.

Why isn't DMS an issue for this beer with the short boil time and Pilsner accounting for over 50% of the malt bill? I would think that DMS would be a bigger issue for a low gravity beer as this. Would a 60-90 min boil harm the BW, if I did this instead?

I believe that the DMS is produced during the boil. The steam lifts and removes the DMS, so it is removed as fast as it is created.

The lightly kilned malts, like pilsner malt, contain a lot of the precursors that become DMS when over about 170F. So, if you don't boil, you won't get any DMS. And when you do boil a wort from pilsner malt, it's a really good idea to chill quickly and don't let your wort sit between 170 and 212 for long.

This is all from my bad memory, and mostly just regurgitated from stuff I heard and read, so you know just treat it like the rest of the garbage on the webz.

(btw, I've made several BW with 15 minute boils and never any DMS)

Passedpawn is correct. DMS forms in the boil and is boiled off if the boil is performed properly. In a no-boil or short boil beer, the DMS should never form from the precursors.

Latest posts

Back