Honey Cream Ale recipe...feedback welcomed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDore

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a Cream Ale recipe that I will use as my "house beer." I thought I'd experiment a bit with honey because I've never done so before. Also, I wanted to add a little honey malt to the mash. I know the stuff is overwhelmingly sweet so I just have 4 ozs in the recipe now. Do you guys think that's enough given the malt profile? Also, I typically use US-05 for these types of beers but saw a White Labs Cream Ale yeast advertised on my LHBS website. Any experience with this?

Thanks much!

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Honey Cream Ale
Brewer: Timber Cove Brewing
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 55.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Honey, Clover (1.0 SRM) (add at flameout)
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (55 min)
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min)
0.50 tsp Amylase Enzyme (Secondary 7.0 days)
0.50 tsp Gelatin (Secondary 12.0 hours)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs Cream Ale BLEND (White Labs #WLP080)

Mash Schedule: Partial Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.25 lb
----------------------------
Partial Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min PM Add 5.87 qt of water at 162.0 F 150.0 F

I did. It turned out ok but I underestimated how much the honey would dry the beer out. I used 1.5 lbs and that plus the uber-active yeast, US-05, dried this puppy down to 1.008 from 1.052. I mention the White Labs Cream Ale Blend in the recipe. My LHBS was out of that so I used US-05. I've since adjusted my recipe down to 1 lb of honey. Also, I'm going to add 0.5 lbs of flaked wheat to help with mouthfeel. May even add some maltodextrine. Once I try this one again I'll re-post my final recipe. Those are the adjustments I'm planning, though.

Did you ever brew the revised version with less honey?

I was thinking of brewing the NB Cream ale extract kit, but adding 1lb of flaked corn like your recipe has. Also, I will add 1lb of orange blossom honey in the secondary rather than at flame-out. (I would do it in secondary to ensure the flavor an aroma are stronger...) I don't want a beer that is too dry, but I plan on using US-05 like you.

Thanks.

I would increase the honey malt, and either decrease the actual honey addition, or leave it out completely. You can always add some honey after fermentation has started to slow down if you really want to add it.

I usually use 1/2 to a full pound of honey malt in brews (sometimes more, depends on the brew). It gives you more honey flavor/character without drying out the brew.

I would increase the honey malt, and either decrease the actual honey addition, or leave it out completely

I agree. Honey itself is just going to ferment out. Up the honey malt to 1lbs. Other than that, looks pretty good. Good luck with the brew!

I never tried the recipe again with less honey. After the last experiment I just never went back to it. It fermented out completely and left me with too much alcohol warming so I altered my Cream Ale and took it out. And won 2nd place Best of Show at the Music City Brew-off! :)

Perhaps I'll add some orange peel for a little citrus which is what I was trying with the orange blossom honey. (along with just a little alcohol...) I also plan to add 0.5 oz to 1.0 oz of Saaz at 5 mins for a little aroma.

Thanks for the responses!

Latest posts

Back