4 or 6 taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I'm working on the new kegger and have to decide if I stick with four taps or go to six or maybe just four now but allow space for two more. I'd like to add a stout tap at some point. I'm doing things a bit differently, the taps will be on the side rather than the front. That way I don't have to worry about hitting the taps when I'm swapping cornies.

2113-img_1294.jpg

[I know, you're wondering why I'm concerned when this is just a 5 cu ft freezer. Magic! More later.]

Ahh you must be like me. You need an enabler to tell you to go for six, even though you know very well that you want six all on your own. I'm the same way, don't worry. I find that it helps me justify things to ask a friend who knows darn well the answer I want to hear. ;) Of course six!

do really need help with that question? Hmm let me see should I have a little beer or a lot! do I want some money or some MORE money... come on! 4 or 6? I say 7!

That's a beaut Clark.

This is what I started with...

Chest_6.JPG

This is what I ended with...

Freezer_WTaps_1.JPG

You'll only need to leave "Room for more" if you space them all the way accross your collar.

Honestly I would do 4 for now and make measurements/spacing appropriate for an optional upgrade. I have a 15.5cubic ft freezer and have room for 8 however have 6 taps and find it hard to add and remove kegs at times with all the lines in the way. I think I'm keeping mine maxed at 6 which gives me optional storage room. Just my .02 based on my own headaches.

I am about to make a kegerator, and am stuck between a small chest freezer, or a sanyo. I want to get the smallest chest freezer possible. What is this magic?? can we at least have a hint ;)

That there Whirlpool BM has is the same one I do and I'm tellin ya, it's the biggest bang for the buck size wise. 5 kegs with room for a 5lb tank on the hump. In fact, there's a good chance I'll be putting my 3 gallon corny on the hump and leaving my 20lb tank outside.

I hate to reveal the trick before the magician does his magic, but I think that the key to the illusion is Manhatten.

Think Long Island and not Kansas.

Bobby_M said:
That there Whirlpool BM has is the same one I do and I'm tellin ya, it's the biggest bang for the buck size wise. 5 kegs with room for a 5lb tank on the hump. In fact, there's a good chance I'll be putting my 3 gallon corny on the hump and leaving my 20lb tank outside.
Yeah buddy. It's just the right size.

I still have condensation issues though. Maybe they'll go away when the weather gets cooler and dryer. (99 dgrees and 90% humidity right now).

By the way...I paid the price for not attaching the collar/taps to the lid. Went home for lunch today after finding out we're having people over tonight and wanted to transfer a couple house ales up to my Sanyo.

Lifted the keg out and bumped not one, but two of the taps and in the 2.4 seconds it took me to set the keg down on the floor and hit the taps, I was soaked with Newcastle and my Maltese Falcona IPA.

BierMuncher said:
Lifted the keg out and bumped not one, but two of the taps and in the 2.4 seconds it took me to set the keg down on the floor and hit the taps, I was soaked with Newcastle and my Maltese Falcona IPA.

I must have wasted a couple gallons doing that myself putting and removing kegs. Not to mention wasted guests who have long sleeves grabbing the tap handles as they wobble away. If I were to do it again, I think I would indeed attach it to the lid. Or maybe set a tower on the back end and install a seperate access door towards the front as I have seen someone else on here do.

Ok, it's got something to do with the conditioning cabinet. I only cut four of the holes, as the extra tap money went to longer shanks. If you look closely at the collar, there are two very small holes which mark the future #5 & #6 taps. I pre-drilled the inner wall and cut the outer wall most of the way. You'll notice the clever way of dealing with condensation, I've set the kegger in a washing machine tray and I'll leave the drain open.

2113-img_1325.jpg

You'll probably end up doing 6--trust me.

I'm kicking myself for not making my Irish Coffin Box a 6 tapper. Once I get a nitro set-up (it IS in my future), I'll be REALLy wishing for more regular taps, as 1 of the current ones will get taken away for a stout faucet.

would you guys think it's possible to have a small chest freezer set up almost like a jockey box, with cooling coils in water or something, and just set the kegs behind it? Would the beer go bad faster? I mean I leave beer in bottles for months, is this different? I assume his conditioning box is chilled, would this work if it wasn't chilled?

Beer goes bad faster the warmer the storage temperature. My conditioning cabinet was/will be cooled to around 50F. If you expect to finish kegs off in a few months, I doubt that would be a problem. On the other hand, chill plates and copper tubing isn't cheap and most freezers really are not designed to hold water.

Got the new shanks in and (as you might imagine) one of the taps will not thread on. Tried it on all four shanks. Inspected it at 6X and other than a few small burrs, nothing. Soaked it in mineral remover. buffed it up, nada. There's always one.

Back