CO2 lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wraping up my kegs and all and I was wondering how you all sanitize the CO2 lines? I was thinking that I could pump some starsan thru the whole system using my autosiphon.
I hate to beat on that thing like that by pumping it so much, is there a better way to do it?
Without taking a it all apart?

I don't, and never did. I guess you could run some starsan through them before you hooked them up (sounds like it's too late for that?), but if they're new lines I wouldn't worry about it. The pure CO2 environment will probably kill whatever few nasties might be lurking.

not entirely true. many bacteria are anaerobic, and i believe that most of the bacteria that infect beer are anaerobic.

it would be good policy to sanitize your co2 lines. i have in the past, but not on everything, i guess i wasn't that concerned about it. if you feel the need to sanitize it, it definitely can't hurt, and in all actuality, it should keep your beer infection free.

The beer lines are the most important lines to sanitize. CO2 lines may potentially harbor bacteria however I think the chances of this infecting your beer are very minimal. Feel free to do it for peace of mind but I wouldn't be overly concerned if you already have everything hooked up.

I'm a big forums lurker (multiple sites) and this is the first time I've seen the topic of sanitizing beer lines being posted.

I'd say generally people don't bother. It'd really only be able to mess up the first keg anyhow, as the wild yeast/mold spores would get pushed out of the CO2 line and into that beer, and then be pretty much a sanitary environment unless you removed the gas-in disconnect from the line, exposing it to the natural air, which is usually full of spores.

I think you have a larger chance of picking up an infection from your ac system blowing into the keg while you rack, than from the co2 lines.

Can't see any bacteria climbing up the positive pressure in the CO2 lines. I never bother cleaning them.

They are all new lines but I think just fo a piece of mind I'm going to do something.
I would hate to hook up all 5 kegs and mess them all up just because I did not take an extra 5 minutes to sanitize them at least a little.

I always sanitize any new gas line/components that I introduce into my system (I seem to constantly be adding to it). They do take a while to dry out though, with the small amount of CO2 flowing through them, but I haven't perceived this to be a problem.

Would the alcohol content of already fermented beer also help from it getting infected, especially if it is kept refrigerated around 38*F...and carbonated?

it helps, but it isn't foolproof. even a barleywine could potentially become infected. fact of the matter is, all beer is infected. it is just the degree to which it is infected.

Back