small oxygen tanks and regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
Do the threads on the small oxygen tanks match what is found on full size tanks? For example, if I wanted to use this tank with this regulator with a hose and stone, would that be possible? I realize this is a significantly more expensive way of getting oxygen in my beer than some of the other pre-made solutions, but my LHBS doesn't have any of those solutions and I would like to brew tomorrow. Any feedback?

Very different TPI on those regulators. The one for small bottles (the Lowe's link) is 20TPI, where a standard O2 regulator is 13TPI (using my TPI gauge set).

If you're looking to use a standard sized (welding gas) O2 tank, then get a regulator that also has a flow meter on it. I scored one off ebay a few weeks back for pretty short money. I just had to get the fitting to go to the 3/16" ID tubing that connects to my oxygenation wand. That was a few dollars on Amazon.

Only the initial hardware cost will be more with the full size tank setup. You'll get tons more batches this way. Plus, with an actual flow meter on the regulator, you'll KNOW how much O2 you're infusing the wort with. That will allow you to calculate the O2 PPM numbers.

Check any local welding supply stores/shops in your area. You could find one that has an O2 regulator already setup with a flow meter. Get the tank from them too, and you're done (assuming you have the stone and rest of the setup)... I would also get them to either set up the regulator with a 1/4" fitting to go to swivel nuts, or to a 3/16" barb for you.

I don't believe that you will be able to adapt that cylinder to the regulator you have. The regulator you show has a CGA 540 (industrial type) fitting and the disposable cylinder CGA 601 are completely different. And I have not been able to find an adapter.

That's the small regulator that I actually checked the threads on... Not using it at all since getting the one with a flow meter, that works with my full size O2 tank (forget the volume size, but it uses a standard regulator). For a while I used the PSI regulator from my old welding setup, until I got the flow meter regulator. Worked pretty well, just couldn't tell how much O2 was going into the wort (no reading on the low pressure gauge). With the flow meter setup, you see what the O2 LpM rate is, so you KNOW how much O2 is going into the wort.

I did get the complete setup, originally, from Williams... Love the air stone on the wand. I did change the tubing to use 3/16" ID beer line, so that I could clamp it.

Either way, using pure O2 makes for even better brews into your glass... :rockin:

what i am getting from most of your replies is that there isn't a good way for me to get what i need by tomorrow and that i should order a small regulator and just brew next weekend

OK, new idea. What about this? I see the regulator i need right there. it looks like the two hoses are stuck together but that they might come apart. what if i put pulled that black hose off and put the hose with my stone in its place?

OK, new idea. What about this? I see the regulator i need right there. it looks like the two hoses are stuck together but that they might come apart. what if i put pulled that black hose off and put the hose with my stone in its place?

That will work. You will pay more in the long run for the low pressure/low volume cylinders.

I know that the small bottle isn't ideal but I simply haven't got anywhere to keep a bigger bottle of O2. How many 5 gallon batches of beer can be oxygenated with one of the small bottles? I don't need it for any other use but beer.

$60 for something you'll only use one small part from?? Not a good idea in my book. Better to get the Lowe's regulator, tank and some beer line from the LHBS to connect up to the stone. If there are no welding shops/stores in your area, call some on Monday and see about getting a regulator setup to go to large tanks, with the flow meter. Or search on ebay for one that will work. use an O2 tank for welding (you'll need the regulator with the correct connection) means you won't need a Rx to get it filled/replaced.

I know that the small bottle isn't ideal but I simply haven't got anywhere to keep a bigger bottle of O2. How many 5 gallon batches of beer can be oxygenated with one of the small bottles? I don't need it for any other use but beer.

I got maybe 7 batches out of the 1.4oz bottle of O2 (that's the one you're talking about). I would run it for 30-60 seconds in each batch. Problem is, with the regulator you get with/for those bottles, you have almost no way to judge how much O2 you're getting. They're also notorious for going from barely any flow to full without warning (very small turn difference in the handle). I know, it happened to me more than a few times.

Keep in mind, the larger bottles/tanks of O2 are not all that large. About the same size as a 10# CO2 tank, if memory serves. You can store it with the regulator off of it, so that's not an issue. Just leave it standing up in the corner someplace, out of the way, and you'll be fine. Or put it where you store all your other brewing gear.

Since I've used both tank, and regulator, types, I can say (without hesitation) that the larger setup is by far the better of the two. You'll get far more batches out of even the smallest O2 tank that uses the standard regulator threads. You'll also get much better control over the flow rate, especially with the flow meter.

I would suggest looking around for the parts to get to the larger bottle/tank of O2 and regulator setup. Even if you order online, or from ebay, you should be able to get pretty much everything before next weekend. If you find a welding store in your neck of the woods, you'll be able to get a filled O2 tank there.

I got maybe 7 batches out of the 1.4oz bottle of O2 (that's the one you're talking about). I would run it for 30-60 seconds in each batch. Problem is, with the regulator you get with/for those bottles, you have almost no way to judge how much O2 you're getting. They're also notorious for going from barely any flow to full without warning (very small turn difference in the handle). I know, it happened to me more than a few times.

Keep in mind, the larger bottles/tanks of O2 are not all that large. About the same size as a 10# CO2 tank, if memory serves. You can store it with the regulator off of it, so that's not an issue. Just leave it standing up in the corner someplace, out of the way, and you'll be fine. Or put it where you store all your other brewing gear.

Since I've used both tank, and regulator, types, I can say (without hesitation) that the larger setup is by far the better of the two. You'll get far more batches out of even the smallest O2 tank that uses the standard regulator threads. You'll also get much better control over the flow rate, especially with the flow meter.

I would suggest looking around for the parts to get to the larger bottle/tank of O2 and regulator setup. Even if you order online, or from ebay, you should be able to get pretty much everything before next weekend. If you find a welding store in your neck of the woods, you'll be able to get a filled O2 tank there.

^^^+1, and the disposable cylinder have a lower service pressure. Which means less volume @ a lower pressurizer = far fewer batches than a 20 lb. cylinder. If your having issue finding a welding supplier you should have a TSC somewhat close to you, they sell cylinders.

Or you could buy this and take it to TSC, and pay $20 to have it filled. Or you could pick one up @ HF when your picking up your regulator.

Kinda of reviving an old thread here but thought it's worth a shot.

I picked up one of these guys from Amazon, and gave it a shot with the 1.4 small tanks over the weekend, blew through the full can in about 90sec between 2 batches :eek:

My guess is I pushed way to much through it, but I really had no idea when I was in for with it flow wise. Seems price at $9.99 a tank to oxygenate 2 batches.

My question is, should you just barely crack these sort of regulators or is it best practice to get an inline flow meter so you know exactly how many L/m your pushing?

Last edited by a moderator:
ALWAYS use a connection with a real regulator that offers LPM control. Otherwise you're just pissing the O2 away.

I've seen setups with proper regulators at the different online HBS stores over the years. Going with the cheap item off Amazon was your main mistake.

I hear ya.........wife was looking for an easy xmas gift so I guessed wrong.

What's the target liters for a standard gravity 5gal batch, say 1.050?

Something like this might solve the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is, should you just barely crack these sort of regulators or is it best practice to get an inline flow meter so you know exactly how many L/m your pushing?

Turn it slowly (1/6 a turn or less) with the stone barely under the surface, wait a couple of seconds, then repeat until you see little foamy bubbles, then turn back down a notch and count off 60 seconds. The point is to oxygenate the wort - if you see bubbles coming to the surface, that is gas that is oxygenating the atmosphere. You should get 6 to 8 batches or more from a cylinder.

Thanks mirthfuldragon. I had foam goin everywhere, for some reason I was thinking the more agitation the better like I always have with my old aquarium pump. I should've known when I could hear the like hepa filter whining from the flow.

Back