HELP!!! Overheated fermenter bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neddy84

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok, feel free to point and laugh at this...

Just put a new brew on last night. It's only a kit as I'm quite new to this. But is Coopers Dark + 1kg Brew Enhancer.

Anyway, got it going, but thought it was cold in my house so popped a bru-belt heater belt on. Went out today and when I got discovered it was seriously bubbling out of the top of the (closed) brew bucket. It's distorted the top of my bucket and I had to open it to release the pressure. I've taken the belt off and it seemed to be quite warm. Have I totally buggered up this batch?

Thoughts appreciated!

Thanks all.

E

you need the temp of that wort/beer. Preferabley when it was on 'overheat' Basically if you went over 110F (about 45C) you probably killed the yeast, and should get some more. Below that, you may have generated off flavors from stressing the yeast.

I'd personally let it go and see what I got after 3 weeks.

I did the same with the third batch I fermented. It was a decent beer. I think that it may depend on what type of yeast you used. Not familiar with Coopers Dark, but let's hope that some the off flavors will be covered up by the roasted malts.

Back