Best Extract Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyJersey

Reaction score
Just curious....what's the best Extract Kit you've ever brewed?

I'm looking for some suggestions for my next brew.

thanks.

It depends in what you like. My 2 favorite extract recipes where from Austin homebrew. Bavarian hefe and American IPA. Both where great!

I enjoy most styles of beer, with the exception of IPA's and the really hoppy stuff. My preferred choice is a brown ale, but I'll try anything.

Browns are one of my favorite also. I made a great nut brown from Austin. Also, in the joy of homebrewing there is a great extract recipe for a roasted brown ale. I am making it this week. Off the top of my head it is:
.5 lbs roasted barley
.25 lbs black patent
6 lbs amber dme
1.5 oz northern brewer (60)
.25 oz cascade (10)
s-04 yeast
I don't have the book with me, but I'm pretty sure that is it. I thought it was great!

The absolute best I've ever brewed had to me the Brewers Best Russian Imperial Stout. My girlfriend and I brewed it and kicked the keg within a week and a half. My neighbor came knocking at my door a couple times with his stein out saying how he was having dreams about it at night.

you can't go wrong with Austin Homebrew Supply. I love the AHS Bavarian Hefeweizen... and every other kit I have bought from them has been first rate as well.

Just drew my first pint of Chocolate Milk Stout (from Northern Brewer). Mmmmm....

Have also had good results with the Carribou Slobber, Cherry Stout, and the Three Hearted Ale. (Still waiting for the yeast to finish eating the Grateful Dead Ale that I brewed recently...)

I am tempted to brew up more of the same kits but I keep moving on to new ones to expand my "horizons."

So many beers, so little liver...

I'm a newb but both Brewers Best Kits I've used, Cream Ale and IPA, have turned out nicely. Enjoying my Cream Ale as we speak! :mug:

So far every kit I've gotten from Midwestsupplies has been great.
Smooth Nut Brown ale, Liberty Cream ale, Oatmeal stout, there are a few others I have going from midwest but haven't tasted yet.
Hophead double IPA, and Swartzbier lager. I have made the smooth nut brown a few time and never lasts long.

So far every kit I've gotten from Midwestsupplies has been great.
Smooth Nut Brown ale, Liberty Cream ale, Oatmeal stout, there are a few others I have going from midwest but haven't tasted yet.
Hophead double IPA, and Swartzbier lager. I have made the smooth nut brown a few time and never lasts long.

Yeah... that Smooth Nut Brown is a great base. I actually added toasted hazelnuts for the last 5 minutes of the boil and then a chocolate hazelnut extract to the secondary and I've gotten nothing but great comments on it. The guy who brought me in to the fold was impressed and wants it to be in regular rotation. :mug:

I vote Bourbon Barrel Porter from Northern Brewer. The only extract brew I've made that I can't tell it's extract. It's awesome. I'm trying very hard to let some age for winter.

Old post...I know, but I'm looking for MORE suggestions for a noob to get his feet wet. :)
Looking for a kit that I can steep some grains and add my own hops.

Can always start your own thread rather than going zombie ;-P

Anyway, try any Brewers Best kit. Go to their web site and get the brew instructions for what you may be interested in. The kits have all you need. From there, fire up Beersmith, or whatever, and go to town with alterations. H

www.highgravitybrew.com

This is my LHBS and I have to say I have been more than pleased with their kits. Great original recipes with plenty of steeping grains and hops depending on what kind of beer you want to brew. At least check them out. You can find the link for each brew that shows you the recipe. That is pretty original in my opinion. Great service and great brews.

The Black IPA kit from NB was the best beer I have made yet! Im an AG brewer but that extract kit was my best beer I ever made. Real Goood.

Ferocious IPA, Midwest supplies!
I have brewed a lot of BB kits since my LHBS carries it, but never disappointed with Midwest, just got a partial mash kit (Berlin Wheat) which I'm going to turn into a Wheat IPA.

I have had great dealings with HomebrewUSA out of Virginia. Everything has been spot on with freshness and service. There prices are very competitive. I have really enjoyed their Meyer's Award winning Hefezeizen, Belgian "Wit Way Is Up?", Fuller's Londer Porter clone "FullOfIt", and Oktoberfest recipe the I just brewed is sure to be great as well. Any place that has five kegs on tap in the back for sampleing can't be all bad!

http://homebrewusa.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=29&osCsid=4d5bc10768faf9e9b15df0bd2d199a28

How about a american amber. Its a good all around beer that even your lite beer drinking buddys will enjoy. All the company's out there have a version.

How about a american amber. Its a good all around beer that even your lite beer drinking buddys will enjoy. All the company's out there have a version.
Good idea! I've got some Budweiser drinkers coming over for the holidays...it might be the right style to impress them. :mug:

My wife swears the best beer I have ever brewed was an extract kit - Boulevard Pale Ale clone from a local homebrew store here in Kansas City. Here's there website:

brewcat.com

I think the kit is called "Kansas City Pale Ale"

She's always bugging me to brew it again!

I'm conflicted between Northern Brewer's Houblonmonstre or their limited edition Golden Dragon clone (mine is still carbing so hard to tell)

www.highgravitybrew.com

This is my LHBS and I have to say I have been more than pleased with their kits. Great original recipes with plenty of steeping grains and hops depending on what kind of beer you want to brew. At least check them out. You can find the link for each brew that shows you the recipe. That is pretty original in my opinion. Great service and great brews.

was in tulsa a month or so ago for 'wild brew' (disappointing) and stopped in high gravity and bought the dead guy clone. haven't brewed it yet but looking forward to it. i agree, 'GREAT SERVICE."

OP - we've brewed several of the brewers best kits and really like the red ale. also the dunkel was a hit.

The Brewers Best kits looked a little "generic" to me so I never took a close look.
I'm liking the looks of the LHBS kits you guys are posting!:cool:

I'm fairly new to homebrew, but my favorite so far has been Austin Homebrew's Canadian Ale. Great session beer and I really dig blonde ales. I'm making another 5 gallons this weekend. That may change though when my cream ale is ready to drink.

I really want to try Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber. I've heard so many good things about this kit.

GetSudz said:
The Brewers Best kits looked a little "generic" to me so I never took a close look.
I'm liking the looks of the LHBS kits you guys are posting!:cool:

I have to agree, BB kits are kind of "toy" looking. Don't get me wrong, I've used them many times, but I'm going in a different direction from now on.

I have used three Midwest kits with fair success. I am intriqued with Austin's kits. Why I chose Midwest first is that they post the instructions on their site so I can read them in advance. That way I'm comfortable trying that kit without getting in over my head. Can someone direct me to Austin's instructions?

My best Extract kit to date would have to be Midwest's Hop Head Double IPA. Incredibly easy to brew and excellent end results. I have Northern Brewer's Imperial Stout Extract kit on hand so I will post back once that is brewed.

My best Extract kit to date would have to be Midwest's Hop Head Double IPA.

+1. The dry hopping was an extra step that I wasn't use to, but I brewed this as my 2nd or 3rd batch so I was still new to the whole thing. By far the best kit I've brewed in the 15+ kits I've used so far. I brewed AHS's IPA and a DIPA recipe my LHBS had, both turned out very meh in comparison to my Hop Head.

Norther Brewer's Dead Ringer IPA- simple recipe and great results. If you like Bell's Two hearted ale than you will love this kit. I've made it 3 times and it is by far the biggest hit with my friends and family.

Norther Brewer's Dead Ringer IPA- simple recipe and great results. If you like Bell's Two hearted ale than you will love this kit. I've made it 3 times and it is by far the biggest hit with my friends and family.

The Bell's Two Hearted is my new favorite right now. I drink this stuff way too fast. :D
I'll definitely look into that recipe.

Don't have a link, but there is an AG clone recipe on here where the yeast was harvested from the Two Heart bottles and made a BIG difference in the final taste.

Thinking maybe the kit PLUS harvested Two Hearted yeast. Hmmmmm.

Just looked at the Dead Ringer kit ingredients.
Ingredients is VERY similar to the Two Heart Recipe and loaded with Centennial hops.

Kit description also states, " homage to a benchmark of the American IPA style that’s brewed in Michigan. " which is where Bell's is based.

SOLD!

Back