Starter tonight for brew on Friday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubilee

Reaction score
I'm assuming putting a starter (my first :rockin:) on the stir plate tonight is better than no starter at all for Friday morning?

I've read it's best to give them a full 48 hrs then chill to settle, but I'm running outta time!

You will pitch a smaller amount of yeast but still more than you started with. Go for it. I have pitched liquid yeast vials many times with no starter and had decent results so you will be fine.

You will pitch a smaller amount of yeast but still more than you started with. Go for it. I have pitched liquid yeast vials many times with no starter and had decent results so you will be fine.

not necessarily true - very possible that the starter ferments out completely by then

the main issue IMO is not having enough time to chill and decant the spent wort but dep on size of the starter and style of beer it may not be an issue at all to pitch the whole thing

terrapinj said:
not necessarily true - very possible that the starter ferments out completely by then

the main issue IMO is not having enough time to chill and decant the spent wort but dep on size of the starter and style of beer it may not be an issue at all to pitch the whole thing

I stand corrected. I guess that a possibility and worst case scenario is that you pitch a smaller amount.t of yeast. Also consider though that the yeast, depending on the strain may not have time to fully floculate and if decanting first, may result in less yeast. Especially not having time to cold crash.

I never allow more that 2 or 3 days for a starter. I think I've heard Jamil say that there is little growth beyond 18 to 24 hours if on a stir plate. You may just need a little more time to decant. I like to make small enough starters (if I can) to just pitch the whole thing after 24 hours on the stir plate.

I'm brewing dennys wry smile ipa on Fri morning. 1200 ml starter is happily spinning as of 6pm tonight. I'll put it in the fridge tomorrow night.

Will it settle in about 10 hours?

...or just keep it spinning and pitch it all?

I think I read on the Wyeast site that on a stirplate it should be done in 12-18 hours and there is no need to let it go longer.

I have done 2 and did not decant - in a few weeks I'll find out how they turned out.

Totally satisfied taste wise - not fully carbed yet - with my first 2 batches which I just pitched the packs - one dry and one smackpack.

I like to give my ale starters 24 hours and lager starters 2-3 days in the fridge. You will definitely lose some yeast but that's a huge starter anyways.

What type of yeast and what is the starting gravity of the beer?

_

I like to give my ale starters 24 hours and lager starters 2-3 days in the fridge. You will definitely lose some yeast but that's a huge starter anyways.

What type of yeast and what is the starting gravity of the beer?

_

It's Wyeast Denny's Favorite, 1.085.

But this is my first AG (will batch sparge), crushed at Northern Brewer...I'm not banking on 1.085 happening.

Back