Rectangular Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLo

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing a few smaller 1.5 gallon experimental batches in 2 gallon buckets and control the fermentation temperature in 1.8 Cubic Foot NuCool refrigerators with great success. As I look inside the little fridges I can’t help but notice a bunch of room not filled with beer. I have usable inside dimensions of 13”W x 15”H x 10”D, I’m assuming I’ll need a short airlock and a rectangular fermenter if I’m going to get a full five gallons to come out of the fermenter.

Any ideas on rectangular plastic fermenters?

There is a Vittle Vault 15 and a Vittle Vault 30, I'm almost looking for a Vittle Vault 20 or 25. I may look at "adjusting" the mini fridge to see if I can make more room.

After removing the molding on the door the new dimensions are 12"W x 16"H x 12"D

After Uline and US Plastics, what are some places to look for rounded corner fermenters? :)

So far I've found a few options:

Option #1 - Ideal dimensions, but a but steep in the price cateory. $144 for the container and lid combo, but ideal dimensions.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=31777&catid=712

Option #2 - A little wider than I was looking for, but I think I can carve a little bit out of the door insulation to make it work. Just under $18 for the bucket and lid combo, minimum order 1 piece.
http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=P106

Option #3 - With this one I would shave down the sides of the inside fridge that hold up the removable shelf. Under $15 for the bucket and lid, need to buy a 6 pack.
http://www.bayteccontainers.com/6-5-gal-square-ez-stor-pail-w-handle.html

Any ideas where I might be able to source these locally in Minnesota?

@Outside92129 I've got a friend who works at one of the labs over here at the University of Minnesota. She will hook me up. :)

Thanks

I just picked up a "Gamma Vittles Vault Plus" for $26 on Amazon.
It holds around 6 gallons, and the lid spins until it seals.

Thanks scotched, I ordered a Gamma Vittles Valut Plus on Amazon. It looks like I'll have some fermenter options.

I was able to squeeze a 5 gallon bucket into the little fridge, but only just barely.

I have 15 vittles vault lids (called gamma seal lids when sold alone) on 5gal buckets for bulk grain storage, and they are amazing...

JLo did you opt for the Amazon Prime month trial? You literally get free 2-day shipping on certain items, and that Vittle vault was eligible.

Just make sure you go to your settings and UN-check the box that says "automatically sign me up for Amazon prime after my trial ends". That's how they get suckers to pay =/. It's definitely worth the shipping savings on large items.

scotched said:
JLo did you opt for the Amazon Prime month trial? You literally get free 2-day shipping on certain items, and that Vittle vault was eligible.

Just make sure you go to your settings and UN-check the box that says "automatically sign me up for Amazon prime after my trial ends". That's how they get suckers to pay =/. It's definitely worth the shipping savings on large items.

Also if you do end up getting charged you can call them and they are good about refunding your money. if you are a student you can get amazon prime free for a year, I think amazon mom (you can be a dad also) gives you free prime also, not sure for how long though.

I think I once got amazon prime through amazon mom for 3 months (or maybe even 6). I also got prime for 1 month on two other separate trial promotions, the normal one and another one that was eligible with the purchase of a qualifying book - IIRC, the ability to sign up for the trial came up during the checkout process, allowing you to get it without actually completing the checkout.

I'm in Canada and Prime is absolutely useless for shipping here, but I regularly use a guy in CT to forward me purchases (for a small fee) that get sent to his UPS mailbox if the item(s) is/are impossible to get in Canada, or just so much cheaper (even with the fee) than buying from a Canadian retailer, or an American one that will ship the thing directly here.

So I wouldn't come even close to getting my money's worth by paying for Amazon Prime, but the various trials have allowed me to get it cheaper and/or faster than I otherwise would, and it's even been useful enough that I created 1 or 2 other accounts at some point in order to be able to sign up for the trial again. Which I'm aware is wrong, but they've made such a small fortune off me between the US and Canadian sites that I don't feel too bad about it, even though I'd never do that sort of thing with a smaller company or one I only OCCASIONALLY buy from.

I have the 55lb version of the vittle vault that holds 13.5 gal. I ferment my 10 gallon batches in it. Very easily cleaned. I actually just bought a second one. I would recommend picking one up in the size you need..

the 5gal USP water containers are approximately 10.5" wide x 10.5" deep x 14.5" tall. HDPE with 2.25" screwcap opening, and one or two good spots to drill a spigot and/or airlock hole.

I am already an Amazon prime member so the shipping price was right. So far I'm planning on trying the blue jug or 5 gallon bucket for 4 gallon batches, 2 gallon buckets for 1.5 gallon batches, and I'll try the Vittle vault for a full 5 gallon batch. I've got three little NuCool coolers so I can play around with different recipes. Now I can screw around with various fermenters as well.

I got the Vittle Vites container today. With a bit of rework to the door molding it fits like a glove!

6.6 gallon capacity in a itty bitty refrigerator.

I've also found this 7 gallon container. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KA2LNY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's on sale at our local Fleet Farm for $8.99

I've been using those as fermenters for quite some time now, they work just fine so no need to worry. I just drill out the air inlet for a blow off tube and call it a day. If you're tight on space and cannot fit an airlock then just leaving the cap a little loose will work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you were able to make it fit JLO.

Are those aqua-tainers made of a rigid material, or does it "flex" in the flat areas when you set it on the ground/pick it up. That seems like an awesome deal.

Glad you were able to make it fit JLO.

Are those aqua-tainers made of a rigid material, or does it "flex" in the flat areas when you set it on the ground/pick it up. That seems like an awesome deal.

When full they flex a bit, they are not as rigid or as thick as a bucket. I'd say they flex about as much as a better bottle.

I decided to pick one of these up today (instead of the 7gal aqua-tainer):

jumbo_tainer.jpg

I'm not sure how well this will work, given the shape. But it's worth a try.

So far I'm not loving the Vittle Vites container. Here are some of the key areas:
1. It does not flex as much as much as the AquaTainer - good thing
2. It is shorter and provides enough room for a multi-piece air lock - good thing
3. Requires permanent modification to lit to use as fermenter with airlock. - neutral
4. When full is ackward to carry - bad as I almost dropped it a couple of times
5. Lots of little cracks in the lid area. - very bad and hard to clean.
6. Lubricant required on O-Ring, I'm using Keg Lube - neutral
7. Easy to tape thermal probe to corner of fermenter - good

Overall I'm going to try using the AquaTainer for fermenting and use the VittleVites for grain storage. Even though this container met the dimensions I was looking for the wort trapped between the lid and container is freaking me out.

Personally I'd rather apply a semi-permanent layer of silicone sealant on the O ring, than deal with the keg lube every time.

Are you getting krausen seeping through the lid? How do you know you're not getting a good seal?

JLo said:
So far I'm not loving the Vittle Vites container. Here are some of the key areas:
2. It is shorter and provides enough room for a multi-piece air lock - good thing
3. Requires permanent modification to lit to use as fermenter with airlock. - neutral

Overall I'm going to try using the AquaTainer for fermenting and use the VittleVites for grain storage. Even though this container met the dimensions I was looking for the wort trapped between the lid and container is freaking me out.
I wouldn't ferment in one either, but at least you didn't waste that money. Vittles Vaults and Gamma Seal Lids (the same lid, but sold for use with standard 12-inch diameter buckets) are the absolute best grain-storage solution available, bar none.

I did get a good seal on the Gamma Lid, but instead of oxygenating I shook the container to aerate and that deposited a layer of wort between the threads, it's probably sanitary but just weird for me.

So, in reality, your only complaint is the lid is hard to clean? Toss it in the dishwasher.

It's hard to throw it in the dishwasher during fermentation and produce the desired beer. Post-fermentation should be fine though...

Yeah, that Cascade Detergent flavor is quite a bit different from the Cascade Hop flavor we all know. ;)

It's hard to throw it in the dishwasher during fermentation and produce the desired beer. Post-fermentation should be fine though...

It's early and I'm not through the 1st cup yet. Must be why I'm not getting this...

I'm going to take some pics as soon as my camera's battery is finished recharging. Darn Kids ;)

The outside of the NuCool 1.7 Cubic Foot Refrigerator.
159.JPG

The door open to reveal it's modifications:
257.JPG

Front of the Ebay Aquarium thermometer.
338.JPG

The wort/beer drying/rotting/doing nothing in the threads of the Vittle Vites container.
429.JPG

Back of the old External USB HDD case converted.
515.JPG

That 1.7cu/ft fridge was MADE for that vittles vault. I never thought of that.

nice hot pink btw...

If you seal that lid I think you're fine, otherwise I'd remove it and put a sanitized piece of foil over the top. With that dried wort open to the air I think you may be asking for something to grow on it.

I still fail to see any problem. So there's wort inside the VV. Isn't that kinda the point? :rolleyes: Once again, cleaning of the VV lid is trivial - just toss it in the dishwasher.

Where's your airlock though? Doesn't look like enough space to put one through the lid - perhaps use a blowoff tube?

Here's how I set up my VV. Airlock / blowoff out the top, spigot on a lower corner:

beer35.jpg

jkarp - You have persuaded me to continue experimenting with the VV. Sometimes I get a bit paranoid about sanitation. I've got cleaning handled. I was just concerned about contamination issues during fermentation. I will continue to experiment with this fermenter as well as the AquaTainer and plan to update this thread over time.

My wife does ask me why I need all of these carboys, better bottles, buckets and now doggie treat holders and camping water containers…..

I love this hobby.

Scotched – For the record I have pink, lavender and black colors in my salmon colored room :)

Back