Best DFW Brewpubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iijakii

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone have experience on what the best brewpubs are around here? Preferably on the Fort Worth side, but I realize all the good ones are probably going to be in Dallas.

I was just in dallas and, although I was up north a bit, nobody could seem to give me any recs on brewpubs, but there were a ton of reeealy good beer bars though. flying saucer, the ginger man, old monk, etc.

I'd stay away from humperdinks unless you're into a hooters/buffalo wild wings hybrid...thing, although they do brew their own beer. it isn't anything to write home about though.

I think St. Arnolds brews most of BJ's Brewhouse beers for them. There used to be Two Rows; they were really generic anyways. I always just do the Saucer, hard to beat an eighty four tap wall with a rotator board.

Brewpubs in DFW: Two Rows (now only in Allen), Humperdinks (six locations throughout metroplex), BJ's (numerous locaions), and Gordon Biersch (Plano)

If you are around deep ellum Angry Dog is just a bar but they have a wide selection of stuff on tap and tons of bottles. Definitely an above average selection for the area and great hot dogs to boot. I guess Humperdink's brews aren't that great but I have a special place in my heart for it because it was one of a few experiences that pushed me toward getting into homebrewing in the first place.

But yea, Flying Saucer all the way.

Meddlesome Moth opened up last year. Think Flying Saucer with quarters instead of pennies and you will get the idea. Also, I heard they have a 3 million dollar bar and draft system because the owner is a rich bastard. Tasty place though.

There used to be one in southwest Fort Worth in the Hulen area that did the whole "Texas fine dining" where they serve meat from animals that don't exist in Texas (like kangaroo and antelope) smothered in BBQ sauce or some other sauce. The beers ranged from good to mediocre (IMO). The food and beer was expensive and the service sucked ass -- no doubt why it was always incredibly empty. They closed around last summer or fall when lots of restaurants shut their doors. The brewmaster went to DC to work on some new project.

Humperdinks has a few good beers but a lot of their beers are so so. Very sports bar-like. Gordon Biersch has good seasonals and the schwartzbier is pretty good. The food is awesome but pricey.

Unfortunately DFW has lots of bars serving good beer with decent variety just not making it. I wish it were easier to get more US craft breweries in our bars though. We get the best of Texas breweries (Live Oak, 512, etc.) and no disrespect to them but there are lots of other US breweries I'd like to see make their way around to our bars.

There used to be a brewpub in the Stockyards when brewpubs first became legal in the 90s but it closed up pretty fast. It was stupid to open a brewpub in Miller/Coors central. It's all people drink there. Even the brewery that opened down the street from the Stockyards that made that kind of beer couldn't crack that market.

Although Two Rows doesn't make its own beer anymore -- the brewmaster opened Francona in McKinney -- it is proof that Dallas could support more brewpubs. Uptown, Addison, Victory Park, Arlington, Sundance Square, or 7th Street could all support a well planned brewpub. Heck, BJ's has exploded here just by taking on the suburban markets.

I would have STRONGLY recommended Trinity Hall Irish Pub at mockingbird station until the manager threw me out a couple of years ago for the bartender serving me with an expired i.d. This 140 lb 5'7'' whimpy hipster d-bag came up to my table and grabbed my $25 dollar glass of scotch off the table and told me to get out. When i asked him what it was about he told me. we argued for a bit then i told him fine refund me my money for the damn drink. he said he was going to. I left before the police got called because i was about to break his neck. hadn't been back since

anyways- until that, it was literally my favorite pub in dallas. awesome selection of beers and whiskey/scotch if you're into that (I am). plus side easy to get to just off the highway

Two Rows in allen has good happy hour if you're just looking to get drunk.

Churchills in downtown Mckinney and The Pub (also in downtown Mckinney) have nice pub setting. More beer selection at the pub. cooler overall atmospher and setting at churchills.

The Londoner in addison pretty good

and lastly, if you can stand the uptown crowd theres some descent pubs in the Mckinney Ave area. (*FYI- if you're not too familiar with dallas-- McKinney ave. and the aforementioned Mckinney are two diff areas)

Sucks they threw you out but the TABC can ruin a bar for serving you with an expired i.d. Can't blame them.

No I understand its against the law and what they face if they're caught. It was his tone... I mean he literally walked up to me and with out explaining anything "you need to leave" in a very GTFO tone. You don't have to be rude me to me! It's not my fault your bar tender served me. Rude ass.

I loved that place too but I just can't go back.

Anybody tried the humperdinks brew pub? J/w if it's any good.

btw I think BJ's brewary- most overrated ever. Take cheese cake factory-remove cheese cake- add nothing special micro brews and tada, way over priced restaurant.

The Frisco area has a couple nice pubs I like to go to. The Gingerman and Ringo's in the Shops at Legacy and over on Preston south of 121 is the Holy Grail. It's by far my favorite bar. Great selection of beers and they change periodically. Plus it's just a cool place with cool people. There used to be a brewpub/restaurant inside the Bass Pro in Grapevine. Not sure if it's still there. Nothing great but some of the beers were decent. Can't help you much with Ft Worth though.

No I understand its against the law and what they face if they're caught. It was his tone... I mean he literally walked up to me and with out explaining anything "you need to leave" in a very GTFO tone. You don't have to be rude me to me! It's not my fault your bar tender served me. Rude ass.

I loved that place too but I just can't go back.

Anybody tried the humperdinks brew pub? J/w if it's any good.

btw I think BJ's brewary- most overrated ever. Take cheese cake factory-remove cheese cake- add nothing special micro brews and tada, way over priced restaurant.

Humperdinks originally turned me on to the idea of brewing but now I find it very meh. The porter tastes like liquid smoke. Their IPA is decent.

There's a place in McKinney (city not street) now downtown- not a brewpub but does have something like 20 diff beers on tap. GREAT selection and they offer samples which is just awesome :')

oh yeah its called Square Burger. I want to try Flying Saucer sometime, anybody been there?

Back