Help with BJCP category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praiodan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a coconut milk stout on tap that I think is fantastic. I'd like to enter it in some local competitions but am having difficulty categorizing it correctly.

I orginally thought Cat. 13-B Sweet Stout, but since I've used coconut in the boil, and 'dry hopped' would it still be acceptable in that category, or would it need to be in a category 23 setting?

I appreciate the replies, brew on! :drunk:

share your vital statistics: OG, FG, IBU, SRM, and ABV

Then all the ingredients you used.

Sure, here is what I used:

5 Gallon Batch

7# 2-Row
.75# Crystal 60
.75# Chocolate
.75# Munich
.62# Flaked Barley
.5# Flaked Oats
.25 Roasted Barley
1# Lactose (10 mins left on boil)

1oz Magnum - 60mins 14% AA
1 oz US Goldings - 10mins 5% AA

Safale - 05

Mash - 151 for 1 hour
60 Min Boil

OG 1.061
FG 1.013 80% Eff.
ABV - 6.3%
IBU - 49
SRM - 38.8

Secondary 3lbs toasted unsweeted coconut (3 weeks)

I'm thinking you guys are right, probably belongs in 21A.

Only if when you drink the beer you say "Yep, definitely coconut milk."

well sure, I am guessing that you must be able to taste it...otherwise if you can't then it might as well go in 13B. There is a guy in my homebrew club that enters a coconut porter in competition every year that goes in 21A and does very well. That said, it is a very coconut forward beer.

Sure, here is what I used:

5 Gallon Batch

7# 2-Row
.75# Crystal 60
.75# Chocolate
.75# Munich
.62# Flaked Barley
.5# Flaked Oats
.25 Roasted Barley

1oz Magnum - 60mins 14% AA
1 oz US Goldings - 10mins 5% AA

Safale - 05

Mash - 151 for 1 hour
60 Min Boil

OG 1.061
FG 1.013 80% Eff.
ABV - 6.3%
IBU - 49
SRM - 38.8

Secondary 3lbs toasted unsweeted coconut (3 weeks)

I'm thinking you guys are right, probably belongs in 21A.

Oh yeah definitely 21A. I thought you used coconut milk and with that i would CONSIDER arguing that it didn't necessarily have to be categorized 21A. Coconut chunks are a whole different ballgame. Your vital statistics are right in line for a Foreign Extra Stout and American Stout. Anyway, cheers! :mug:

Thanks, I forgot to add in that I used 1 LB of Lactose as well; the whole point of the sweet stout anyways :p

My Toasted Coconut Macadamia Porter was entered in 21A and won a bronze medal at an Oktoberfest competition, so I'm voting for 21A as well.

Back