Corny or carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWheeler

Reaction score
I will soon have a "terrible" problem - more beer than storage vessels.

Right now, I have a Belgian Strong Golden in secondary, and it'll be there at least until Thanksgiving. I have a Belgian Quad to brew this weekend and my primary (bucket) is free.

After that, however, I'll need another secondary. This means buying another carboy. I also had the brain fart of transferring the BGSA to an empty corny keg, freeing up the carboy for the quad. That way, when the BGSA is ready to be carbonated, I can just stick it in the kegerator and go.

Any reason I can't use a corny as a "third-ary" fermenter? I don't think I really need the airlock, since I doubt there will be much pressure buildup. Would any sediment muck up the dip tube on the carboy?

I rack beers to my cornies and store warm all the time. Just purge the head space with 30 psi a couple of times and your good to go.

I rack beers to my cornies and store warm all the time. Just purge the head space with 30 psi a couple of times and your good to go.

+1, I do it all the time, you might turn it upside down to be certain it's sealed. Depending on primary time, I would probably prime it also.:mug:

Concur /\/\

Cornies are awesome, and the cost is very good if you get a good used deal. Back when St. Pat's was down to earth, I got six for about 80 bucks. A little cleaning and new seals and they have been performing for over 10 years.

Back