Pabst won the blue ribbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was giving a buddy of mine a hard time for stocking up on PBR for his 30th birthday party. He responded by saying something about "I don't see any of your favorite microbrews with a blue ribbons from the worlds fair". What do I say to that?

you say "well um....But I'm a beer snob."
Quit giving your buddy crap. PBR is a great summertime lawn mower beer.
This isn't the Beeradvocate forum over here:D

So I was giving a buddy of mine a hard time for stocking up on PBR for his 30th birthday party. He responded by saying something about "I don't see any of your favorite microbrews with a blue ribbons from the worlds fair". What do I say to that?

Read "Ambitious Brew."

Pabst didn't actually win the blue ribbon that they use for their namesake! The "contest" wasn't supposed to be a "contest" but Pabst declared himself the winner anyways!

I don't really mind PBR. I think there is a time and a place for it though. It isn't a beer that I'm going to drink one of at night, but if I'm going camping or fishing with some buddies a case of PBR isn't a bad thing.

It won that ribbon in 1893, hasnt won a blue ribbon at a worlds fair since. it did get gold at the GABF in 2006, but no blue ribbons.

Read "Ambitious Brew."

Pabst didn't actually win the blue ribbon that they use for their namesake! The "contest" wasn't supposed to be a "contest" but Pabst declared himself the winner anyways!

It won that ribbon in 1893, hasnt won a blue ribbon at a worlds fair since. it did get gold at the GABF in 2006, but no blue ribbons.

read my post again, and read the book. They self-appointed themselves the winner of the contest ;)

wasnt is something to do with medals given out for innovations, not really a contest at all, more of simple recognition at the fair?

I haven't read the book in awhile, but I think it was just supposed to be a fair, then some secret judging started going on, everyone got mad, and Pabst declared himself the winner.

not true.. I went to a "wordl's fair" in 2000 in hannover germany

You mean Expo 2000?

That was called an Expo. There are still expos, but they don't say "world's fair" in the name anymore since the 80's.

Hell, I was at the Expo in 2005 in Aichi. It wasn't particularly interesting. I also don't remember any beer contests.

wasnt is something to do with medals given out for innovations, not really a contest at all, more of simple recognition at the fair?
The way I remember it from the book Pabst and Busch had displays set up and decided to make a contest out of their beers. They both declared themselves winners of the contest in press releases but Pabst used it as a marketing item and changed the name of the beer to "Blue Ribbon Beer."

Sorry, not going to drink PBR or BMC. If I'm going to have a malted grain beverage, it's going to be good. I'll have water instead.
I know "beer snob". Hear it all the time.:)

the only reason I drink that is when I think about doing the Century Club again (used PBR my first time), and then realizing the next morning just wasn't that pleasant. if you never want to drink cheap beer again, do the century club (without experiencing a personal protein spill)!!!

don't forget the GABF winners.

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/pdf/winners/gabf09_winners.pdf

Category: 1 American-Style Cream Ale or Lager, 24 Entries
Gold: Milwaukee’s Best, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Hamm’s, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Bronze: Red Dog, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

Category: 28 American Style Light Lager, 25 Entries
Gold: Budweiser Select, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO
Silver: Keystone Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Bronze: Michelob Ultra, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO

Category: 29 American-Style Lager or Premium Lager, 34 Entries
Gold: Coors Banquet, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Miller High Life, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Bronze: Totally Naked, New Glarus Brewing Co, New Glarus, WI

Category: 30 American Style Specialty Lager, 23 Entries
Gold: Keystone Ice, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Pre-Pro, Coors Brewing Co., Gol, Golden, CO
Bronze: Steel Reserve, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

the only reason I drink that is when I think about doing the Century Club again (used PBR my first time), and then realizing the next morning just wasn't that pleasant. if you never want to drink cheap beer again, do the century club (without experiencing a personal protein spill)!!!

Its with a little tittleation and trepidation that I ask "What the hell do you mean by personal protein spill?

don't forget the GABF winners.

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/pdf/winners/gabf09_winners.pdf

Category: 1 American-Style Cream Ale or Lager, 24 Entries
Gold: Milwaukee’s Best, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Hamm’s, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Bronze: Red Dog, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

Category: 28 American Style Light Lager, 25 Entries
Gold: Budweiser Select, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO
Silver: Keystone Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Bronze: Michelob Ultra, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO

Category: 29 American-Style Lager or Premium Lager, 34 Entries
Gold: Coors Banquet, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Miller High Life, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Bronze: Totally Naked, New Glarus Brewing Co, New Glarus, WI

Category: 30 American Style Specialty Lager, 23 Entries
Gold: Keystone Ice, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Pre-Pro, Coors Brewing Co., Gol, Golden, CO
Bronze: Steel Reserve, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

How in the hell did Steel Reserve get bronze.

My son's friend brought over a case of Blue Ribbon and was encouraging me to have one. I kept saying "no I like good beer." Finally I gave in - and was surprised! It wasn't bad. I actually enjoyed knocking back a few.

I encounter somewhat of the same thing when my wife and I are at bar where they the choice is Bud or Coors. If I am drinking either she asks me "how can you drink that?" My come back is Bud & Coors isn't bad beer, it just isn't great beer.

The destination of this argument is never a place worth seeing. It's sort of like going on a long drive to find out that the world's biggest ball of twine exhibit is closed. It's destined to be anti-climactic, no matter the outcome, but one or more participants are gonna get pissed.

And PBR's blue ribbon ain't got nothin' on High Life's champagne claim.

If the World's Fair had a Pile Of Shyt contest, the blue ribbon winner would still be a pile of shyt.
Plus, most of the competitions we know as "Worlds" have nothing to do with anywhere outside the US which certainly says something.
But, at a time when other beverages were carbonated drinks of the same sort and dung infested water, what do you expect?

Latest posts

Back