Sync Beersmith on multiple computers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeH

Reaction score
I have a small netbook that I run Beersmith on when I'm brewing, but I'd rather use my main desktop for things like putting in recipes. So I figured out how to get Beersmith to run from both computers without having to manually copy recipes back and forth:

1. Sign up for a free Dropbox account (my referral link is https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM0ODcwMzU5 - if you use it to sign up we both get an extra 250MB storage for free). The free account allows you to store 2 GB which is more than enough.
  2. Install the Dropbox software on the computer with the copy of Beersmith you want to use. It will create a "My Dropbox" folder in "My Documents"
  3. Copy C:\Program Files\Beersmith to your "My Dropbox" folder
  4. Go to another Windows computer where you want to use Beersmith and install the Dropbox software again
  5. Now, you'll see Beersmith inside "My Dropbox"
  6. Open that up and you'll see beersmith.exe - run that and you'll see all your recipes!
I know that you can use a USB thumbdrive too, but this works better for me.

I'd just set up a github for this. Yeah, syncing is manual but it allows you greater control, you can look at previous versions of all your files, and if you delete something by mistake it's still in your history.

I just run it off my media server over the network/vpn and keep a backup on my blackberry. Basically the same thing really, just using all my own computers

Are the computers networked?

open up "my computer"
poke "tools" in the top tool bar
poke "map network drive"

and you can make a shared drive. then keep all the files there.

The nice thing about DropBox is that it is accessible from any computer with an internet connection.

Also, you CAN have it save multiple versions of a file. The free version automatically keeps all old copies for 30 days. You can add on for a fee.

Just note that you will need to run the version in the DropBox folder on the original computer or you won't see any of the changes.

I did this over the weekend and wanted to make a post about it. But it appears that the post already exists :)

I may have taken this one step further. I copied the whole Beersmith application into my dropbox folder. I am able to run the application from my home desktop and laptop.

There doesn't appear to be any software issues with the program's registration.

Jason

The nice thing about DropBox is that it is accessible from any computer with an internet connection.

Also, you CAN have it save multiple versions of a file. The free version automatically keeps all old copies for 30 days. You can add on for a fee.

Just note that you will need to run the version in the DropBox folder on the original computer or you won't see any of the changes.

I've tried this, and I just keep getting multiple versions of the same files in the Beersmith directory each time that I open/close Beersmith on one of the computers. What am I missing here?

I'm not sure what you meant by "...you will need to run the version in the DropBox folder on the original computer...". Can you clarify?

Can't you just use the cloud folder for this, or am I missing something?

I tried this but when I open Beersmith on the second computer, it is a "blank" version of it. No reciepes came through. How do I sync it. I open it in dropbox on the first computer and they are all there.

Using Dropbox has not worked at all for me by changing the recipe folder to the specified Dropbox folder. Every single time, I end up with duplicate copies of files in the Beersmith2 folder (Recipe1, Recipe2, Recipe3, etc.). If you still want to try it after that warning, here is the method.

I haven't tried this yet, but this thread discusses using a symbolic directory link. If you feel like you know what you're doing and want to try it, I would try this instead, with the caveat that you do not want to ever have Beersmith 2 open on both computers at the same time.

The supported method that works for syncing recipes (but will not sync equipment profiles, ingredients, etc.) is using Beersmith's own Recipe Cloud, which costs $9.99-$35/year (on sale), depending on which membership level you choose. There is also a free basic level with limited functionality.

I'm not sure I understand most of that. What I may understand is that there is no simple fix for my problem.

Just remember, only access the "shared" files from one computer at a time, or you could mess up your files. Note that this method, which I use myself, is discouraged by the author of BS, Brad Smith, because of the risk mentioned above.

Using Dropbox has not worked at all for me by changing the recipe folder to the specified Dropbox folder. Every single time, I end up with duplicate copies of files in the Beersmith2 folder (Recipe1, Recipe2, Recipe3, etc.).

Are you warning that BeerSmith will operate normally in dropbox? :D

Each of those numbered files is a backup created when you close the app. The highest number is the oldest backup and the un-numbered version is the most recent.

That feature catches more than a few off guard.

I've never been able to get this to work, with Gdrive. I've just started to turn on my comp at home when I leave home and I know I might need access to BS and just use Chrome Remote Desktop. Nothing gets messed up.

Well this will only work with Mac users but I haven't tried it to verify it works properly, but my logic for it makes me think it will work.

Prior to OS X MacOS Sierra (10.12.1) Beersmith installed to the "Documents" directory of the user account. Well when I upgraded to Sierra it turns your "Documents" and "Desktop" folder their iCloud ecosystem. I can access these files with any iOS device using the iCloud app. Well if I upgrade my old MacBook Pro to Sierra & enable the iCloud feature on it too, I believe it would sync my Beersmith files between the two Macs.

Again I haven't tried this, but I believe it may work given what I have seen so far.

Back