DME instead of dex in a coopers stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muscleshoalsbrewer

Reaction score
I am wanting to make a 6 gal coopers stout kit, i have read about using DME instead of dex. i understand that it should give the brew a maltier flavor. would you use the same amount (1kg ) called for in ingredients? or do you mix it up say 40% dex-60% DME?

I am wanting to make a 6 gal coopers stout kit, i have read about using DME instead of dex. i understand that it should give the brew a maltier flavor. would you use the same amount (1kg ) called for in ingredients? or do you mix it up say 40% dex-60% DME?

What are the rest of the ingredients?

its a home brew kit in a can........yeast under the lid..6 gal. it says "requirements; coopers wort concentrate, yeast sachet & 1kg of white sugar (other recommended fermentable sugars may be used instead)

yup that mix will work fine, being a stout it can handle the extra malt flavor, if it were a lighter beer i would reverse it and have more dex as a blonde for example you don't want to overpower with malt.
PS if you want to boost the ABV then you can add more dex.

I recommend using 2# of extra light LME or 1.5# of extra light DME with all canned kits instead of dextrose, and doing 5.5 gallons instead of 6. It good beer make! :drunk:

Oh yeah and use a good dry yeast, toss the yeast it comes with... I would use Safale S-04 with that kit.

I recommend using 2# of extra light LME or 1.5# of extra light DME with all canned kits instead of dextrose, and doing 5.5 gallons instead of 6. It good beer make! :drunk:

Oh yeah and use a good dry yeast, toss the yeast it comes with... I would use Safale S-04 with that kit.

+1 on this. It turns out real good, especially after being in the bottle for 2+ months

Only used one coopers can, the real ale, but I added 3lbs of ldme and it is tasting pretty good..Much better than I expected. I also added 1oz of Perle hops because they were laying around in the fridge from a czech pilsner kit I didn't exactly follow correctly.

Thanks all! I was reading everything i could find searching threads....funny thing is the d@mn thing expires TODAY! should still turn out ok.*gulp* i hope.........
2# light dme work the same? have a Muntons light dme....and 5.5 gal.sounds good to me....

how'd it turn out?

i'm gonna do a coopers stout can with 3# dme, 2 oz galana boiling, 1 oz cascade aroma.

any thoughts? add anything else? like a nice strong stout for winter.

I did a coopers stout with 500g DME, 1 pound organic honey (friend has hives). along with 1 12cup pot of coffee. fresh ground beans (high quality), kicking horse. three sisters medium roast.

Turned out absolutely delicious, except the back end and finish is weak. next time I plan on using 1 stout kit brown sugar and 12 pot coffee :) mabye a touch of fancy molasses

Back