Will it be a good beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman841

Reaction score
I'm afraid to admit it but, I'm afraid to move to all grain brewing. For the last 16 months I've been building my new brewing system and now I'm afraid to use it. After reading many post and doing some research I still think that I need help with the jump. If I buy an all grain brew kit do you think that the instructions will provide enough assistance to make a good beer? I have made more than 25 batches of beers from extract kits and book recipes over the past 5 years. I think that I just need to sac it up and go with it but... are there any good DVD's out that might benefit me? Please help

Just put on your big-boy pants and brew.:p If there's not enough info here and here, you're severely overthinking it.

I like the section in Designing great beers on determining efficiency. It really helped me to understand how to make sure things are on track as I brew.

The overall process is hard to do exactly like you plan the first couple times but it is even harder to screw up to the point where the beer doesn't turn out perfectly fine.

Most importantly it is a lot of fun.

man up and do it! You're more ready than you think!:mug:

You basically just add some hot water to a bunch of grain and drain and rinse. After that, it's the same as any extract recipe with a full boil.

I was so nervous for my first AG and posted about it here a bunch of times; but it was a painless fun experience!

Just do it. Sometimes all of the technical talk can be scary. When you have actually done it, you will realize that you understand it a lot better. Instead of making sure everything is perfect the first time, learn by doing.

I started brewing all grain. I did things a lot differently 3 years ago when I started. I still made beer though. Its not as hard as it sounds. If you keep the temperature consistent, sparge correctly, cool and pitch you will make beer. I've even brewed all grain with no thermometer. Its not something I would do again, but the beer was good. Not to insult you, but I kind of laugh when people talk about making the "Jump" to all grain. All grain is all I've ever known, so it is very simple to me.

At this point, the more you think about it, the more you will confuse yourself. Just brew!

Grow a sack and do it. If not, send your equipment to me and I'll do it for you.

Maybe you can get your husband to do it for you. ;) (Sorry Yoop, just trying to keep in the spirit of the ball busting here.)

Look dude... (pat on back) it's easy not as complicated (grin) as you're imagining. If you have the gear and grain just do it. You'll get conversion. Don't forget to use hot sparge water- get that mash temp up to 168F just before your first run-off.

Boil it down to the desired volume and finish it out.

Good luck.

rad

Boil it down to the desired volume and finish it out.

This is probably the best advice anyone gave me before my first AG.

Do the best you can for efficiency, but in the end it doesn't hurt to boil down to 4 or 4.5 gallons to help boost your gravity.

Don't worry, it's not as cosmic as you might think. I just did my first all grain two weeks ago and am planning to do my second this weekend. I suggest you read the all grain section of John Palmer's book if you haven't already. Just skip all the theory and go right to section 3 chapter 18. You can read the theory after you get done with your first batch. Good luck!

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Your First All-Grain Batcher18.html

Back