Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Pacman
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 at 60 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 60 degrees
Dead Guy Clone

1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees for 30 minutes. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

1 tsp Irish Moss 15 minutes or Whirlfloc

I used pacman yeast. If pacman is not available, try 1056 (American Ale yeast).

o.g. was 1.066
f.g. was 1.018

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Edit- More "slight" changes!

For AG, I find that I like this recipe best:

10 pounds maris otter
1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Mash at 156-158 for 45 minutes or until conversion. Sparge to get up to boil volume.

Hops:
1 ounce Perle 60 minutes
.25 ounce perle 30 minutes
.25 ounce perle 5 minutes
.25 ounce saaz 5 minutes

Shoot for an IBU range of 30-35. My perle hops have been all over the map as far as AAUs go- I have some that are 9.3% and some that are 6.9%, so you may need to adjust these amounts.

Thanks for the recipe! Tomorow is shopping day at the home brew supply.

*edit* I am drinking this now and definetly one of my better batches. I will make this again. Thanks again for the recipe!
:mug:

When you switched to Xldme did you re calculate the recipe to convert the Lme to 3.2 pounds DME....making a total of 7.2 pounds XLDME...or did you use 8 pounds?

For the record, Rogue lists their malts used in Dead Guy as Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan. That said, any north american 2-row should be just fine as a base malt, and "true-to-form" for the original recipe. If you're curios, Carastan pretty much is the same as 40˚L crystal. I'll put making up an AG version of this on my brew-to-do list.

Noob question:
I know LME and DME. What is LDME and XLDME?? I want to try this recipe, but need a little explaination. Thank you in advance.

First post so please be gentle...

Thought this recipe looked great and thought I'd try the Extract version for my 3rd batch. However, by mistake I picked up White Labs California Ale Yeast. Anybody know if this will work with this recipe and what changes I can expect?

First post so please be gentle...

Thought this recipe looked great and thought I'd try the Extract version for my 3rd batch. However, by mistake I picked up White Labs California Ale Yeast. Anybody know if this will work with this recipe and what changes I can expect?

It'll work fine....I did it with Euro Ale Yeast and it came out fantastic...Any good clean ale yeast will work. You're going to love it, it's a great recipe!

Thank's Revvy!

I'm trying to learn as quickly as possible! Scanned all of the website's I visit and looked at the books and it seemed a pretty good substitute.

Thank's again for the help! Off to the kitchen!

In this recipe it says to steep the grains at 155 F. But for how long do I steep for?

30 minutes.

How I steep though is a little different. I fill my brewkettle with water and add the grain bag in, and turn the heat on. It takes my stove about 20-30 minutes to take 3 gallons up to that temp. I usually keep my eye on the clock.

I use a propane burner so I might reach that temp a little faster. Once I reach 155 F, do I then begin to sparge? Or do I hold it at this temp until the 30min are up.

I use a propane burner so I might reach that temp a little faster. Once I reach 155 F, do I then begin to sparge? Or do I hold it at this temp until the 30min are up.

Hold temp til 30 are up, remove grainbag, turn up burner and sparge bag with warm water (I usually do that over a metal bowl and add the tea water back into kettle).

Well, I made another batch of this a couple of weeks ago- it's still in primary. I pitched on a pacific ale yeast cake- and it finished at 1.006! Holy cow- it's dry! I mashed at 153-154, so I definitely wasn't planning on it being that dry. Darn!

I'm making another batch this weekend. The last batch is going by fast.

I'm going to try it with some of my harvested pacman...

(Yoop I want to make sure my samples are good before I send you some. I used a sample in my brown ale last week. What I'd thought I'd do is, if the beers turn out I'd wash those yeast cakes and make slants from them. I didn't want to send you some funky stuff.)

Yopper-
Hate to be a pest, but can you post your new AG recipe instead of the .bsm file? Can't open it here at work and I'm hitting the LHBS before heading home today.

Sure- the one I used (and I have a bunch of them, so I hope this is the one you mean!):

12 pounds maris otter
1 lb caramunich
1 pound munich
1/2 pound crystal 40

1 ounce Perle (7.7) 60
.5 ounce Perle (7.7) 30
.25 ounce perle 5
.25 ounce Saaz 5

This is the latest that I have- I hope that's the correct one!

PacMan yeast.... Dead Guy is a maibock, correct? Or is it an ale? What I'm getting at is, does PacMan need lagered? I was always confused about this because Dead Guy used to be Maier-bock, correct?

PacMan yeast.... Dead Guy is a maibock, correct? Or is it an ale? What I'm getting at is, does PacMan need lagered? I was always confused about this because Dead Guy used to be Maier-bock, correct?

According to Rogue;

Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock made with Rogues proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast.

Nothing about lagering it....I didn't when I made my last batch with 1338 and don't plan on doing it to this batch with harvested pacman....But I am going to ferment it in the low 60's, using the t-shirt water bath method.

Brewing this recipe today. Here's what I am doing...

12 lbs Marris Otter

13 Ounces Cara Munich

13 Ounces Munich

7 Ounces 40L

1 oz Pearle 60 min

.25 oz Pearle 30 min

.25 Pearle 5 min

.25 Saaz 5 min

1056 American Ale

I won't be Pitching until tomorrow as I haven't made my starter yet:mad: Anywho, I'll let you guys know how my numbers come out when I am done. I just added my Strike water to the Mash Tun. So far, So good.:rockin:

I did a batch a while back...kegging it this week, but my fermenting temp was high..around 70-75. When I racked to my secondary I had a VREY strong alcahol taste...it's been conditioning now for just about 4 weeks. Does anyone think that the high ferm temp could have messed with it?

I did a batch a while back...kegging it this week, but my fermenting temp was high..around 70-75. When I racked to my secondary I had a VREY strong alcahol taste...it's been conditioning now for just about 4 weeks. Does anyone think that the high ferm temp could have messed with it?

Definitely. High fermentation temperatures often cause fusel alcohols to develop. They don't age out, but the aging might help smooth it out some.

Well high fermentation temps, do cause the presence of fusil alcohols, which produce the "hot" alcohol taste....My last batch was in the same temp range, and it did have a bit of that bite to it, but I liked it.

This current batch of mine I pitched with the harvested Pacman, and I kept it in an ice/water bath and kept the fermentation temp below 70 degrees (the brewer for rogue likes to brew it in the low 60's)

So we'll see. I won't know for several more weeks, since I'm letting it sit on the yeast cake for a month.

Well high fermentation temps, do cause the presence of fusil alcohols, which produce the "hot" alcohol taste....My last batch was in the same temp range, and it did have a bit of that bite to it, but I liked it.

This current batch of mine I pitched with the harvested Pacman, and I kept it in an ice/water bath and kept the fermentation temp below 70 degrees (the brewer for rogue likes to brew it in the low 60's)

So we'll see. I won't know for several more weeks, since I'm letting it sit on the yeast cake for a month.

I did do the water bath but found out a little late about adding frozen bottles of water to the bath...I don't think that it was too hot but with this strain of yeast it may have been...I also thought that the large amounts of fermentables could have givin that taste too? Going to keg tonight...so like you said Revvy...we'll see!

Cheers!

I did do the water bath but found out a little late about adding frozen bottles of water to the bath...I don't think that it was too hot but with this strain of yeast it may have been...I also thought that the large amounts of fermentables could have givin that taste too? Going to keg tonight...so like you said Revvy...we'll see!

Cheers!

I love it...so much that I went through my 2 cases in almost no time DESPITE having 3 other beers in the pipeline.

I have a mix of 2 liter and smaller bottles in the freezer that I use in the bath, it works like a charm...just swap them out and re-freeze.

well...all is good!!:ban:

No strong alcahol taste or smell...mellowed out real well. (didn't mean to ryme):D Tastes great and very filling!!!:cross:

this one might become a reg for the keg! (that one I ment);)

Ok i am going to brew this recipe this weekend. One little problem. Neither of my local HBS's have any of the yeasts that are mentioned in this thread. :( Are there any other yeasts that I could try that would work as well? I am a big fan of Dead Guy Ale and dont want to mess this one up. Thanks in advance.

SD

Ok i am going to brew this recipe this weekend. One little problem. Neither of my local HBS's have any of the yeasts that are mentioned in this thread. :( Are there any other yeasts that I could try that would work as well? I am a big fan of Dead Guy Ale and dont want to mess this one up. Thanks in advance.

SD

My LHBS had me use wyeast 1338 European Ale the first time I did it and I thought it was fantastic...

I suppose barring that a clean ale yeast like US-05 safale dry would be fine.

I am going to be brewing this recipe this weekend! My LHBS gave me US-05 safale yeast to use. They told me that with this yeast I do not have to make a starter and can just pitch in right in the cooled wort. Has anyone had experience with this? So I just open the packet and pitch it in? Should I warm up some water and get the yeast active first?
Sorry, I am a noob and just want to make sure that I don't screw it up!

I am going to be brewing this recipe this weekend! My LHBS gave me US-05 safale yeast to use. They told me that with this yeast I do not have to make a starter and can just pitch in right in the cooled wort. Has anyone had experience with this? So I just open the packet and pitch it in? Should I warm up some water and get the yeast active first?
Sorry, I am a noob and just want to make sure that I don't screw it up!

You can rehydrate dry yeast if you wish, but it's not necessary. I just get the wort to pitching temps an dump it in. I've done this on my last 6 brews with no problems.

I used the US-05 on mine that I did a few weeks ago. I am going to keg this stuff this weekend. The Hydrometer samples taste awsome, now I cant wait to get this stuff on tap :ban:

SD

US-05 is my favorite dry yeast. Rehydrating is a good practice, only because it helps cut down on the lag time, because it wakes up the yeast a bit...It's easy, warm some water up to the temp range on the packet (I usually use hot tap water and let it cool to the range.) Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water, and let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes, then swirl up the yeast and pitch.

I do this recipe quite a lot but never with US-05, I've used bottle harvested pacman yeast and Wyyeast 1338 euro ale yeast (I think it tastes amazing with this yeast) but not with 05...I'll have to try it someday...05 is a great, clean yeast.

I brewed this up over the weekend. Since it is very warm here in NJ I put it in my basement to ferment, thinking it would be cooler down there. On Sunday morning I checked it and was fermenting at about 77, bubbling very nicely. Fearing that this was too high a temp I put it in the refrigerator to try and control the fermentation temp. Checked Sunday night and it was at 61! Checked this morning and it was at 55 :( I noticed that I had also stopped bubbling. Did I ruin my batch of beer or if I raise the temp to around 60 will it continue fermenting?

I brewed this up over the weekend. Since it is very warm here in NJ I put it in my basement to ferment, thinking it would be cooler down there. On Sunday morning I checked it and was fermenting at about 77, bubbling very nicely. Fearing that this was too high a temp I put it in the refrigerator to try and control the fermentation temp. Checked Sunday night and it was at 61! Checked this morning and it was at 55 :( I noticed that I had also stopped bubbling. Did I ruin my batch of beer or if I raise the temp to around 60 will it continue fermenting?

If it hasn't finished fermenting (it would go very very quick at 77), then you could bring it back to a more reasonable temperature (depending on which yeast you used) like 64-68, and you'd be fine. Well, even if it is finished fermenting, it would be good at 64-68 degrees. I use a big Icecube cooler and put some water in it and ice bottles (only about 2) around the fermenter and it helps stabilize the temperature.

brewed this recipe except i used dry amber malt extract in place of the pale LME and fermented it at about 65 with white labs euro ale yeast. I have only brewed about 15 beers and this is for sure the best. awesome recipe. :mug:

Hi,

I'm going to brew this clone this Wednesday.
While typing recipe... I saw that it calls for Munich malt.
In my LHBS, we have light and dark munich.
Which one do I need?

Weyermann Light Munich Malt - Highly modified. Reinforces flavor of Bocks, Octoberfests, and Porters. SLightly toasty character. 11.5% Protein, 5-7ø Lovibond

Weyermann Light Munich Malt - Darker version of Munich Malt. Highly modified. Reinforces flavor of Bocks, Octoberfests, and Porters. Toasty character. Can be used to subistute for toasted malt. 11.5% Protein, 8-10ø Lovibond.

We also have 3 different Caramunich with different lovibond
1. 31-38 lovibond
2. 42-50 Lovibond
3. 53-60 lovibond..

Lighter one or darker one would be better for this beer? I remeber dead guy wasn't too dark...I would use 31-38?

Is this special grain more for color than flavor? I'm planning to use all LME by converting the DME into LME portion due to bulk LME at LBHS. So it will use light LME for sure.

Back