Double IPA Heavenscent IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opened the first bottle of this on Friday after just a week of carbing in the bottle and 3 days in the frige and wow! It already had great carbonation to it as well as a great aroma, but I pulled a rookie mistake while brewing and squeezed the grain bag, so now it tastes like the grains at the end of a drink, otherwise tastes great. I hope these flavors will mellow out with some time, but I want to brew this again correctly.

Epiiiiic! :rockin:

Glad to see my first recipe getting some good response! Currently in a holding pattern on getting Version 2.0 going (full-time school/work, etc.), but the numbers look good on Beer Alchemy...

Gotta say the Warrior and Ahtanum hops worked well as replacements for the aroma/dry hopping additions. The aroma is amazing, and if age will mellow those damn tannons due to the rookie mistake, this should be solid. Keep me posted on Version 2.0, because this will be brewed again, and it will be done with the Warrior Ahtanum combo due to how good those worked out.

Yeah, I was messing around with this on Beersmith and I think I might try something a little heavier on the hops and upped on the alcohol for winter. The warrior/ahtanum gives a great aroma, and hopefully after a month of aging, that damn grain taste from squeezing the back will have subsided more.

Here's what I've worked out so far--reduced it to 91 IBU's, so it's still got some potent hoppy-ness without being overpowering:

US Chinook 13.0 % 1.00 oz 28.3 Bagged Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

US Warrior 15.5 % 1.00 oz 30.9 Bagged Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

US Ahtanum 6.0 % 1.00 oz 10.0 Bagged Pellet Hops 30 Min From End

US Simcoe 12.0 % 0.50 oz 7.9 Bagged Pellet Hops 20 Min From End

US Amarillo 8.5 % 0.50 oz 4.6 Bagged Pellet Hops 15 Min From End

US Simcoe 12.0 % 0.50 oz 4.7 Bagged Pellet Hops 10 Min From End

US Ahtanum 6.0 % 0.50 oz 1.3 Bagged Pellet Hops 5 Min From End

US Amarillo 8.5 % 1.00 oz 0.0 Bagged Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

US Simcoe 12.0 % 1.00 oz 0.0 Bagged Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Can't wait for LHBS to get some Simcoe in so I can get this one going! :rockin:

SO!

A boatload of tweaks later, here's what I finally came up with. Basically turns into a 60-minute IIPA using 4 different hop varieties!

OG: 1.083
FG: 1.018
ABV: 8.7% (yarr!)
IBU: 96.0

60 minute boil, grains soaked for 30 minutes @ 155F:

Crystal 40L--1.5 lb.
US 2-row--1.5 lb.
Pilsen Extract--9 lb.

Warrior (15.5%)--2 oz. @ 60 min.
Simcoe (12%)--1/2 oz. @ 20 min.
Ahtanum (5.2%)--1 oz. @ 15 min.
Amarillo (8.5%)--1/2 oz. @ 15 min.
Simcoe--1/2 oz. @ 10 min.
Ahtanum--1/2 oz. @ 5 min.

Give it 2 weeks at 65-70F in primary at this point, inoculating with WLP001 & a good yeast nutrient. It's up to personal preference to use 2 vials or just a huge starter...also debating whether or not to try WL's San Diego Super strain.

At 2 weeks:
1 oz. each Amarillo & Simcoe for 7 days, keeping it on primary (again, personal preference, but I have never used a secondary). Bottle/keg normally, age for 2+ weeks.

Will be waiting till the new year to start this one (gotta get the Xmas brew figured out!), but this is gonna be interesting. :rockin:

i used the original recipe as the start for my first IPA. had to swap citra for the simcoe, but i am loving this brew! it is everything i love about IPA. The hops are in your face at first, but they don't kill your palate like stone's ruination. i think the citra added a pronounced grapefruit note. i will definitely brew many variations of this going forward.

I love chinook at 30 minutes. I think that's the perfect spot for 'em... unless I'm doing my AB clone, of course ;)

Im new to brewing,this is going to be my second brew..just a couple of ?'s...How much water did u start out with...2.5 gall,3 gall???.,could i use nottingham yeast?..I cant wait to brew this!!!...Thnx!!

-Started with 2 1/2 gallons--top off using distilled water (to Original Gravity) after cooling.

-Never used Notty yeast, so I can't say for sure what kind of results you could expect. White Labs has always worked out for me, and they ferment fairly clean.

-Thanks! :rockin:

So I brewed this up from the original recipe (almost) and it has been one hell of a fermentation. It's a week after and it's still very visible in the airlock seven days after brewing. I've brewed a couple IPA's but never had one bubbling away for this long. Anyone else experience this? Not complaining at all, just never expected it to have it bubble so much.

I brewed my take on this yesterday. I used the original hop bill and the modified grain/extract bill from the second recipe on page 5 of this thread.

I had an OG of 1.078 and it's now happily bubbling away.

After a trip to the LHBS & an order from Northern Brewer, I finally have the ingredients for the finalized version. I wound up choosing White Labs' San Diego Super Strain for the yeast, so we'll see how this bad boy turns out within the next few weeks. Brew day, t-minus 2 days and counting... :rockin:

want to try one of these recipe's...has anyone tried the 2nd recipe on page 5 and had good results?

Tried the first recipe but haven't done the second, but the one thing that stands out that may need changing is the 30 minute ahtanun addition. It's so low in AA that it's better suited for a flavor or aroma addition then a bittering addition.

Tried the first recipe but haven't done the second, but the one thing that stands out that may need changing is the 30 minute ahtanun addition. It's so low in AA that it's better suited for a flavor or aroma addition then a bittering addition.

Yeah, I realized that after buying the Ahtanum from my LHBS & noticed that it was only 5.2%. I might bump them down to 20-15 minutes when I brew this weekend (had to bump brew-day back as well).

Yeah, I realized that after buying the Ahtanum from my LHBS & noticed that it was only 5.2%. I might bump them down to 20-15 minutes when I brew this weekend (had to bump brew-day back as well).

Good choice! Otherwise it is almost a waste of hops in the grand scheme of this beer!

I'm giving this a go but living here in central Europe the hop choices are somewhat limited.

Also, I plugged the original hops into beersmith and the IBU was way low, like 35 ish (UNLESS I set it to a 5 gallon boil). I can only boil about 3 gallons so I find myself going crazy on the hops just to get to 80IBU.

Here's what I've put together with liberal substitutions and working with hops I already have or that I can easily order:
3oz magnum @ 15% for 60 minutes
1oz northern brewer @ 10% for 30 minutes
1/2oz perle @ 9% for 15 minutes
1/2oz cascade @ 5% for 15 minutes
1/2oz perle 9% for 5 minutes
1/2oz cascade @ 5% for 5 minutes

1oz perle dry hopped 7 days
1oz cascade dry hopped 7 days

This seems like a lot of hops especially given the recipes in this thread which seem to come from a partial boil. Am I missing something here or was the original recipe based on a full 5 gallon boil?

I'm giving this a go but living here in central Europe the hop choices are somewhat limited.

Also, I plugged the original hops into beersmith and the IBU was way low, like 35 ish (UNLESS I set it to a 5 gallon boil). I can only boil about 3 gallons so I find myself going crazy on the hops just to get to 80IBU.

Here's what I've put together with liberal substitutions and working with hops I already have or that I can easily order:
3oz magnum @ 15% for 60 minutes
1oz northern brewer @ 10% for 30 minutes
1/2oz perle @ 9% for 15 minutes
1/2oz cascade @ 5% for 15 minutes
1/2oz perle 9% for 5 minutes
1/2oz cascade @ 5% for 5 minutes

1oz perle dry hopped 7 days
1oz cascade dry hopped 7 days

This seems like a lot of hops especially given the recipes in this thread which seem to come from a partial boil. Am I missing something here or was the original recipe based on a full 5 gallon boil?

Yep, I've always made my recipes 5-gallons. Technically, this could qualify as a triple IPA, given the high IBU's, but the alcohol % is slightly lower than the socially accepted average of >=10% (and I'm hoping the lower alcohol would allow some residual sweetness to tame some of those hops...).

If you have some spare cash and a Mac, I'd highly recommend buying Beer Alchemy. That program makes the recipe formulation process as easy as possible, and it also allows you to scale down ingredients by percentages if you do smaller batches. I couldn't say what programs are good for PC's, but I'm sure someone on here could recommend one. :mug:

Thanks for the reply and information.

One more beginners question as I get ready to brew this tomorrow afternoon:
Do you pitch more than one packet of yeast here given the high original gravity or will one pack do just fine?

Thanks for the reply and information.

One more beginners question as I get ready to brew this tomorrow afternoon:
Do you pitch more than one packet of yeast here given the high original gravity or will one pack do just fine?

I usually do a starter, but on this one, I'm content with just warming the yeast up to room temperature considering the San Diego strain is pretty capable on higher gravity stuff (or so I've read).

(I'm also out of priming sugar, if that says anything. :p)

And I'm prepping to do version 2.0 in the next day or two. The last few weeks have been hellish schedule-wise, so I kept having to bump back my brew day.

Yep, I've always made my recipes 5-gallons. Technically, this could qualify as a triple IPA, given the high IBU's, but the alcohol % is slightly lower than the socially accepted average of >=10% (and I'm hoping the lower alcohol would allow some residual sweetness to tame some of those hops...).

If you have some spare cash and a Mac, I'd highly recommend buying Beer Alchemy. That program makes the recipe formulation process as easy as possible, and it also allows you to scale down ingredients by percentages if you do smaller batches. I couldn't say what programs are good for PC's, but I'm sure someone on here could recommend one. :mug:

BeerSmith for PC. It has done wonders for preparing a recipe as well as generating mash temps for all grain batches.

Good luck.

FINALLY got around to brewing version 2.0 today, but typical me, I can never brew without at least one gaffe. While pouring the wort (cooled) from boiler to secondary, I usually use 2 fine-mesh colanders to filter out a good portion of the crap, especially since I couldn't find a single hop bag and had to simply dump about 5 ounces worth of hops right into the boil.

Long story short, I bumped the colanders into the secondary...twice.

And I completely forgot to sanitize the bastards before pouring...:mad:

So I doubt the batch is completely ruined, but I'll be keeping an eye on it over the next 3 weeks. I should note that the sample I took for OG was way too clogged with sediment & hop particles, so I had to guesstimate the OG at about 1.078 (going median range from what Beer Alchemy was telling me). MEH.

FINALLY got around to brewing version 2.0 today, but typical me, I can never brew without at least one gaffe. While pouring the wort (cooled) from boiler to secondary, I usually use 2 fine-mesh colanders to filter out a good portion of the crap, especially since I couldn't find a single hop bag and had to simply dump about 5 ounces worth of hops right into the boil.

So I doubt the batch is completely ruined, but I'll be keeping an eye on it over the next 3 weeks. I should note that the sample I took for OG was way too clogged with sediment & hop particles, so I had to guesstimate the OG at about 1.078 (going median range from what Beer Alchemy was telling me). MEH.

So I am new to the game and I am really curious to here how a solid 2nd run of this goes because I want to do the IPA next. It will be my third or 4th (haven't decided) but the first was an infected Dunkelweizen and the second (knock on wood) is a tahitian vanilla porter chilling in secondary waiting to be great. Keep me posted since you are so close to me in CA I am curious of the outcome. Hopefully it worked. As a UC Davis student, I have to laugh a bit though. I hope you understand.

I've had that happen to me as well. At least it sounds like you aerated it pretty well. :D

If you pitched healthy yeast, you should have no worries! Did you use your proposed hop schedule v2.1?

Just racked to the Corny, finished out at 1.016 (right on the nose) so a respectable 8.6%. Slight alcohol burn, but 2-3 weeks conditioning will mellow that out. Taste test was super floral but well balanced over all.

First taste test!

I've kept the keg at room temperature and under pressure for the last week, although it definitely needs another day or so to come up to a decent carb level. Pours a moderate copper/orange (slightly dinge-y...), not enough carb yet to judge head retention. Nose is maaaasive! Very floral, maybe some notes of clover honey or, strangely enough, pipe tobacco. The taste is excellent, some tropical fruit (maybe mango?) with a clean finish that isn't too sweet or dry and a very slight alcohol warmth. It could possibly use a little more in the malty-ness area, but not a tremendous issue.

Overall: very refreshing and clean for being such a big brew. Will let this guy condition for another few days in the kegerator before trying again, but I'm happy with the way this one turned out. :)

Is your hop bill for a 5gallon boil? So I would need to adjust it for a 2 1/2 gallon boil

Brewed
heavenscent IIPA

5 gallons

Yeasts
US-05 - Safale US-05

Fermentables
11.15 pounds
Malt - Pilsen LME
33ppg, 3°L 9.9 pounds
89%
Crystal 20L
34ppg, 20°L 1.25 pounds
11%

Hops
7.00 ounces
Chinook
11%, Pellet 3 ounces
43%
Sorachi ace
13%, Pellet 2 ounces
29%
Simcoe
13%, Pellet 2 ounces
29%

Miscellaneous
Irish moss
Fining 4tsp
100%

Steep Crystal
30 minutes, 3 gallons
155°F

Boil
1 hour, 4 gallons
Added half of total LME
Chinook hops
11%, Pellet 1 ounce
60 minutes (+0)
Chinook hops
11%, Pellet 1 ounce
30 minutes (+30)
Sorachi Ace hops
13%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Simcoe hops
13%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Irish moss
Fining 4tsp
Last half of LME
15 minutes (+45)
Sorachi ace hops
13%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)
Simcoe hops
13%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)

Top off 1 gallon to make 5 gallons.
Pitch 11.5g (package) us-05 + 1 extra tsp (rehydrated)
Ferment
19 days @ 63°F,
Dry hop - 10 days
Chinook hops
11%, Pellet 1 ounce
Simcoe hops
13%, Pellet 2 ounce
Cold crashed 3 days.

FG - 1.016. Didn't get OG, my hydrometer literally broke as I was taking it.

Force carbed over three days. Have had on tap for a little over a week now. It's super sweet and super hoppy. I would like to maybe use a starter or more dry yeast next time and get this down to 1.012-1.014. The simcoe flavor is amazing and definitely gives off a sweet citrus flavor. More sweet than orange, maybe more like a grapefruit. Little bit of lemon flavor. The caramel 20 is awesome and balances well with the bitterness. I'm not going to skip the corn sugar next time because this could be a bit drier tasting. I'll dry hop even more next time, probably another oz of simcoe and an oz of sorachi since I left that out of the dry hop. Also going to add one more bitterinf hop and going to scale the crystal 20 down to maybe just 1lb. Overall this is the best beer I've made so far! Thank you for the recipe! I can't wait to see how this continues to develop and to brew again with the alterations I mentioned above.

I brewed this one with a different hop bill and I have to say its great! I replaced the 30 minute addition with simcoe and replaced the amarillo with citras, and then dry hopped with cascade. The simcoe and citra are by far the most pronounced flavor in it, the bitterness is almost akin to the bitterness of a grapefruit. Either way, great recipe I would highly recommend it!

I just got this going this weekend. I used the second version (maby post 47?) All I changed was the hops. I used germen magnum, centennial, and cascade. I also used a 1500ml yeast bomb. I pitched yeast at 12:45 pm today, at 3:pm it was bubbling away once a second. Now at 6:30 I had to get rid of the traditional air lock, because this bad boy is about to irrupt!!!
WP_001078_zps3b2ed7e8.jpg

Brewed
heavenscent IIPA

5 gallons

Yeasts
US-05 - Safale US-05

Fermentables
11.15 pounds
Malt - Pilsen LME
33ppg, 3°L 9.9 pounds
89%
Crystal 20L
34ppg, 20°L 1.25 pounds
11%

Hops
7.00 ounces
Chinook
11%, Pellet 3 ounces
43%
Sorachi ace
13%, Pellet 2 ounces
29%
Simcoe
13%, Pellet 2 ounces
29%

Miscellaneous
Irish moss
Fining 4tsp
100%

Steep Crystal
30 minutes, 3 gallons
155°F

Boil
1 hour, 4 gallons
Added half of total LME
Chinook hops
11%, Pellet 1 ounce
60 minutes (+0)
Chinook hops
11%, Pellet 1 ounce
30 minutes (+30)
Sorachi Ace hops
13%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Simcoe hops
13%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Irish moss
Fining 4tsp
Last half of LME
15 minutes (+45)
Sorachi ace hops
13%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)
Simcoe hops
13%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)

Top off 1 gallon to make 5 gallons.
Pitch 11.5g (package) us-05 + 1 extra tsp (rehydrated)
Ferment
19 days @ 63°F,
Dry hop - 10 days
Chinook hops
11%, Pellet 1 ounce
Simcoe hops
13%, Pellet 2 ounce
Cold crashed 3 days.

FG - 1.016. Didn't get OG, my hydrometer literally broke as I was taking it.

Force carbed over three days. Have had on tap for a little over a week now. It's super sweet and super hoppy. I would like to maybe use a starter or more dry yeast next time and get this down to 1.012-1.014. The simcoe flavor is amazing and definitely gives off a sweet citrus flavor. More sweet than orange, maybe more like a grapefruit. Little bit of lemon flavor. The caramel 20 is awesome and balances well with the bitterness. I'm not going to skip the corn sugar next time because this could be a bit drier tasting. I'll dry hop even more next time, probably another oz of simcoe and an oz of sorachi since I left that out of the dry hop. Also going to add one more bitterinf hop and going to scale the crystal 20 down to maybe just 1lb. Overall this is the best beer I've made so far! Thank you for the recipe! I can't wait to see how this continues to develop and to brew again with the alterations I mentioned above.

Woof! :drunk: Amazed to see this one is so popular, and even more so to see someone made an all grain version! Will have to get around to trying this whenever I garner up enough courage to put the 2 mash tuns that I made (almost a year ago...) to use. :)

Just bought the ingredients for this recipe... Can't wait to try it. Sounds amazing.
Going to do a small variation... Hops from the first recipe and the LME and crystal from the second.
Can't wait!
Just wanted to stop here and thanks you for sharing. :rockin:
Peace

OK, so I just got done kegging this. Heres what I did, and the numbers I got out of it. On my hydrometor ( I think that's whats called) it says I only have a 3% potential ABV.... can that be right????

crystal 40L - 1.5 #
US 2 row - 1.5 #
D.M.E Pilsen extract - 9#

60 min boil, grains soaked for 30 min.

1500ml Yeast starter - WPL001

HOPS
German magnum 2oz. @ 60 min.
Centennial .5oz. @ 20 min.
Cascade 1oz. @ 15 min.
Centennial .5oz. @ 15 min.
Centennial .5oz. @ 10 min.
Cascade .5oz. @ 5 min.

Cascade .5oz. @ 2 weeks (for 7 days)
Centennial .5oz. @ 2 weeks (for 7 days)

Total ferment time 3 weeks
OG 1.090
FG 1.020

Does everything look right here? I think the ABV turned out to 9%,, does that sound right?

thanks for the recipe! smells great so far!!!
Jason

Back