Hops substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigadam

Reaction score
I will be doing a Blonde this weekend (just don't tell me wife).

It calls for . 5 oz Centennial (.25 at 55 min, .25 at 35 min) and .5 oz Cascade (.25 oz at 20 min, .25 oz at 5 min). I have the .5 oz Cascade left over from another brew. I don't have the Centennial on hand though. I know Centennial and Cascade are similar, so I could just get another .5 of the Cascade and be fine, or just get the Centennial.

But, I have .5 oz Willamette and .5 oz Perle left over as well. I understand that they are not comparable to Cascade or Centennial. How would the end product be altered by using one of these non-comparable hop varieties instead? Say I used the Cascade at 55 and 35, then Willamette at 20 and 5 (or Willamette at 55 and 35, then Cascade at 20 and 5). How much would the taste be off from the original recipe?

The Willamette will certainly make it a different beer, but if you're okay with different, the Cascade/Willamette mix is fantastic! Rather than citrusy, you're going to get more earthy/floral/subtle spicy notes. You won't be disappointed. If you do go this route, be sure to calculate for IBU when it comes to the 55 and 35 minute additions- Centennial is a higher AA% hop than Cascade, so you will need more Cascade to match the level of bitterness. From 20 min on, I'd match the weight rather than IBU, as this is where flavor and aroma come from and AA% isn't as important.

I will be doing a Blonde this weekend (just don't tell me wife).

It calls for . 5 oz Centennial (.25 at 55 min, .25 at 35 min) and .5 oz Cascade (.25 oz at 20 min, .25 oz at 5 min). I have the .5 oz Cascade left over from another brew. I don't have the Centennial on hand though. I know Centennial and Cascade are similar, so I could just get another .5 of the Cascade and be fine, or just get the Centennial.

But, I have .5 oz Willamette and .5 oz Perle left over as well. I understand that they are not comparable to Cascade or Centennial. How would the end product be altered by using one of these non-comparable hop varieties instead? Say I used the Cascade at 55 and 35, then Willamette at 20 and 5 (or Willamette at 55 and 35, then Cascade at 20 and 5). How much would the taste be off from the original recipe?

If you keep the Cascade at 20/5 min, and simply use the other hops for your 55/35 min, you won't change the taste that much, as the 55/35 min additions are mainly for bittering (you're boiling off most of the delicate aroma/flavor compounds at those points).

What you need to do is look a the alpha % that your Centennial is supposed to be, then adjust the Perle/Williamatte to give you the same IBUs. If you do that, you're golden.

Thanks for the help. When adjusting for the alpha %, is there a formula to follow or do you just ballpark it?

I use beer smith for this. If you want, post the alphas of the hops you have and what the recipe calls for, and I'll run the numbers for you.

Thanks! I'll get them for you and let you know.

Going slightly off the recipe again, when I bottle I was thinking of using some crushed sugar candies that have a lemon taste to them (lemon Pez). I'd been kicking around that idea since I started brewing, just to see if the lemon is pronounced in the end. I planned to double boiler them and skim off any waxy residue that may come off of them before bottling with it. Based on the hops involved (either Cascade/Willamette or Perle/Cascade), if the lemon flavor ends up being pronounced, how do you think it would play out? I can always wait until a more suitable option comes around for that.

I won't hazard a guess as to how lemon Pez will do in your beer. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to ingredients, and so am very much unqualified to help you on this.

Back