Budweiser project 12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each brewery made a beer and entered it into the contest to see which 3 would make it into the market. As an employee of an AB distributor I gotta say the 3 they put out were not very good. There were a couple of non release ones I liked. The Bourbon cask lager one was one of the better ones they released.

Each brewery made a beer and entered it into the contest to see which 3 would make it into the market. As an employee of an AB distributor I gotta say the 3 they put out were not very good. There were a couple of non release ones I liked. The Bourbon cask lager one was one of the better ones they released.
Sorta makes sense that would happen. As someone that has tried at least a couple of most of the big styles I am drawn to Porters and Bocks and given a choice that is probably what I would vote for unless it just struck me at the time. From reading this thread it seems the winners were variations of the original and it makes sense that Bud drinkers would vote for variations of Bud because that is the style they are used to.

ckcanady said:
I think AB respects craft breweries...

Maybe the same way a Marine respects an enemy combatant, but not the way I respect another homebrewer. That might not be true at an individual level (ie. An AB brewmaster) but AB is in the business of putting competing breweries out of business. Don't think for a minute that their forays into craft beerdom are anything but a ploy to gain market share. At an individual level, I can appreciate the creative outlet this might represent for an AB brewmaster but I guarantee their selection process was designed to pick beers that would sell great and take market share. Any collateral benefit the industry might get from getting folks to expect more from their beer will be coincidental as far as AB is concerned.

It's the way it is. Not hating - just being realistic. That's the AB way. It's the way they got to be on top. It's how they do business.

They create a poor product consistently, how does that make great brewers? The scale they are working at, with the same recipe over and over, there isn't even human interaction at that point, its completely automated.

Yet they manage to produce the same product consistently across a dozen breweries. I get a Bud in Wisconsin, it's the same as the one I get in Tennessee... or Pennsylvania... or Oregon. There are plenty of craft breweries that can't produce a consistent product under the same conditions from batch to batch and even worse, bottle to bottle (Lost Abbey or Jolly Pumpkin come to mind immediately). I'd say that speaks volumes as to the skill of those involved brewing Budweiser...

why does AB get so much attention on here where is the miller-coors bashing- some of their stuff is just as bad if not worse- take batch 19 for example or even leinenkugel...

Wait a minute, are you saying that Leinenkugel is:confused: ... (checking wikipedia) owned by SABMiller since 1988 ... damn, I'm drinking a snowdrift vanilla porter right now:smack:. My whole perception of Leinies has just changed.

jsv1204 said:
... AB is in the business of putting competing breweries out of business. Don't think for a minute that their forays into craft beerdom are anything but a ploy to gain market share...

It's the way it is. Not hating - just being realistic. That's the AB way. It's the way they got to be on top. It's how they do business.

Your right! But aren't all businesses about running their competitors into the ground? Coke and the small craft sodas- Chevy and studabaker- that's the nature of capitalism. I think they see an opportunity in the craft beer market and they want a part of it. What with domestic brands being down something like 10% give or take and craft brands growing exponentially. FYI they did take the market (accounts in the trade) opinions into consideration before releasing these.

Illuveatar said:
Wait a minute, are you saying that Leinenkugel is:confused: ... (checking wikipedia) owned by SABMiller since 1988 ... damn, I'm drinking a snowdrift vanilla porter right now:smack:. My whole perception of Leinies has just changed.

Sorry man... I enjoy some of their beers too...

where is the miller-coors bashing- some of their stuff is just as bad if not worse- take batch 19 for example or even leinenkugel...

What was wrong with Batch 19? IMO it's best adjunct lager I've ever had.

Also, what's wrong with Leinenkugel? They make some great training wheel beer before you jump into more exotic styles of beer. I might be biased as I went to college in Wisconsin, but I'd take a Leinies Red or a Honey Weiss overs standard BMC offering anyday.

Don't know why people single out InBev or anyone in that regard. The main premise of business is to best your competition. As the old cliche goes, nice guys finish last. Not always...but usually.

IffyG said:

Also, what's wrong with Leinenkugel? They make some great training wheel beer before you jump into more exotic styles of beer. I might be biased as I went to college in Wisconsin, but I'd take a Leinies Red or a Honey Weiss overs standard BMC offering anyday.

I think you missed the point. There is always AB bashing on here while Miller-Coors slips through the cracks. I'm pointing that out and showing how they are similar to AB with the steps they are taking. I agree Leines is ok- not great. Goose island is GREAT even since AB took over. Although I did hear a funny fact- 312 is no longer made in the 312! Huh?

InBev/AB is an easy target because of all their recent acquisitions. I'm sure if MillerCoors bought up a bunch of smaller brewers they would become the boogeyman in a hurry too. People tend to bash what they fear and for the moment, InBev represents the destruction of 'craft' beer.

IffyG said:
InBev/AB is an easy target because of all their recent acquisitions. I'm sure if MillerCoors bought up a bunch of smaller brewers they would become the boogeyman in a hurry too. People tend to bash what they fear and for the moment, InBev represents the destruction of 'craft' beer.

Lets see MillerCoors owns Henry Weinhards, Leinenkugels, Pilsner Urquel, Crispin cider, Killians and I believe part of Terrapin. "Craft beer" will always be around as long as grains and hops grow... These companies get blamed for making a crappy flavorless beer but when they venture out and get involved in "craft" beer they get blamed for destroying "our" beer. It's a lose lose for the big guys. I think people like to *****. I don't hear bakers complaining that Sara Lee is destroying cupcakes. Craft breweries that are effected should find a niche an make excellent beer, like most do and they will thrive if try work hard enough. There are enough of us that will help support them!

ckcanady said:
I don't hear bakers complaining that Sara Lee is destroying cupcakes.

Quote of the day!

Reading a history of AB now. Turns out Adolphus Busch was a (gasp!) wine drinker who considered his beer "schlop".

I bought a case of their sampler one time because it was on sale for less than a 12 pack of BMC and I think your training wheel beer is is a good analogy. Most of the flavors were there and correct but they had less mouthfeel than what I am used to. But for the price they are very hard to beat. They are usually within a $1 a six pak of the BMC and they are definitely worth that. If I can't afford to spend the extra $1 for beers in the Leine's range then I just need to take the weekend off.

Originally Posted by ckcanady
I don't hear bakers complaining that Sara Lee is destroying cupcakes.

You must not be talking to too many bakers, then.

What did you miss about "SUED DOGFISHHEAD FOR FUN"????

Or

"Brews Becks and Fransiskaner (and Budweiser for that matter) with a different CHEAPER recipe and poorer quality ingredients, and call it THE SAME THING"

So......same quality product consistently? BS! Becks fans started a boycott when they realized how watered down it is.

Bud fans want no taste so the more (poorer quality broken bits) rice is just hunkey dorey with them.

This is different than the "BMC is urine" bashing. Or even the "Big is evil" mentality.

This Inbev is EVIL and actively so.

You must not be talking to too many bakers, then.

funny.

ckcanady said:
Your right! But aren't all businesses about running their competitors into the ground?

That's the point- craft breweries aren't in the business to run other breweries into the ground! Yes they focus on turning a profit, but that doesn't require them to completely destroyed well-known brands like Rolling Rock just for the sake of money and market share. Sam Adams has helped out local breweries before when there were hop shortages; that's certainly not a "run other businesses into the ground" mentality.

Sounds interesting at least. I'll probably track down a sampler just to get it a fair chance, but I feel like the endeavor will be doomed from the start if it carries the Budweiser brand name. Most craft drinkers will avoid it like the plague for being an AB product and most Bud drinkers won't try it because they're turned off by craft beer (or at least whatever mental image they have of craft beer).

It seems like the same thing happened with the Bud American Ale, which I thought was a halfway decent session beer considering its origins. We had a surprise 50th birthday party for my MIL at my house several years ago. Her side of the family are fiercely light-beer-only drinkers, so we stocked up on Bud Light, and some American Ale for me. The BL ran out fairly early in the evening, so a couple of her uncles found the AA in the back of the fridge and moved on to it only because it was all that was left. As they took their first sips, the one nearly spat it out and told the other, "holy sh*t, that'll make you never want to drink again!"

metanoia said:
That's the point- craft breweries aren't in the business to run other breweries into the ground! Yes they focus on turning a profit, but that doesn't require them to completely destroyed well-known brands like Rolling Rock just for the sake of money and market share. Sam Adams has helped out local breweries before when there were hop shortages; that's certainly not a "run other businesses into the ground" mentality.

Ditto this. I have had a chance to hang out with a few craft pros and have found them all to be very cool folks who are in the business to make great beer. That's different than being in business to sell the most beer.

Am I the only one who actually went to the link and caught this gem on the description of batch #91406:

"...this lager is brewed with four different types of hops to achieve its vibrant clarity and deep amber hue."

That tops Miller's triple-hopped slogan by a mile. Who knew all you had to do was use FOUR different types of HOPS to make your beer crystal-clear and give it the perfect amber hue? I know what I'm experimenting with on my next brew day!

Pictures.

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

Am I the only one who actually went to the link and caught this gem on the description of batch #91406:

"...this lager is brewed with four different types of hops to achieve its vibrant clarity and deep amber hue."

That tops Miller's triple-hopped slogan by a mile. Who knew all you had to do was use FOUR different types of HOPS to make your beer crystal-clear and give it the perfect amber hue? I know what I'm experimenting with on my next brew day!

I want to make my beer dark...a stout I think? So I would need to lager with a whole pound or so of hops to reach that clear dark amber hue?

No crystal or black patent?

sounds so much easier than what I've been doing!!!

I want to make my beer dark...a stout I think? So I would need to lager with a whole pound or so of hops to reach that clear dark amber hue?

No crystal or black patent?

sounds so much easier than what I've been doing!!!

Who knows if its the actual amount of hops you have to use or if you really do need to use four different types of hops, or if its some combination of both.

AB-InBev has a huge research department, so it probably took them a number of test batches to really figure this out. I'm not sure that you'll be able to replicate that perfect amber hue on a homebrew scale.

metanoia said:

Don't be fooled if a brewery felt they were growing fast enough, had the Capitol, and the market- they would "go after" other breweries! Support other breweries is a business move that many fans of the industry like. At the end of the day these breweries are still businesses and they want money! I see it everyday in on premise accounts a rep goes in and says " hey our pale ale won gold at gabf. Why not carry a 'gold' pale at the same price point". At the brewery level they support each other. At the sales level it's a dog eat dog world! Believe what you want but if Sam Adams saw an opportunity to take advantage of another brewery- they would!

Don't be fooled if a brewery felt they were growing fast enough, had the Capitol, and the market- they would "go after" other breweries! Support other breweries is a business move that many fans of the industry like. At the end of the day these breweries are still businesses and they want money! I see it everyday in on premise accounts a rep goes in and says " hey our pale ale won gold at gabf. Why not carry a 'gold' pale at the same price point". At the brewery level they support each other. At the sales level it's a dog eat dog world! Believe what you want but if Sam Adams saw an opportunity to take advantage of another brewery- they would!

That is all well and good. You are probably right. My point is that there is a WORLD of difference between what you are talking about, and A MOMMOTH brewery sueing an up and coming small brewery just because they can, and, because they think the small brewery can't afford to fight them in a legal battle.

BULL **** at it's finest.

Lets look at this from AB or MillerCoors side- 3000 breweries pop up= large financial hit to AB/MC. Financial loss= employee loss. Yes small guys get employment but from AB/MC stance they lose a lot of money. They are attacked on their bases for being "crap" beer by these small companies on a daily bases. If you were attacked everyday on a business front you would retaliate! Bottom line is I don't support the way either AB or MC are getting involved in the craft business but I don't think they are "evil" for the way they do business. They do make a quality product- it just isn't to my liking.

ckcanady said:
Lets look at this from AB or MillerCoors side- 3000 breweries pop up= large financial hit to AB/MC. Financial loss= employee loss. Yes small guys get employment but from AB/MC stance they lose a lot of money. They are attacked on their bases for being "crap" beer by these small companies on a daily bases. If you were attacked everyday on a business front you would retaliate! Bottom line is I don't support the way either AB or MC are getting involved in the craft business but I don't think they are "evil" for the way they do business. They do make a quality product- it just isn't to my liking.

1. None of the Big 3 have taken a "large financial hit"] because of craft breweries; 1 out of every 2 beers sold in America are still an Inbev product.

2. It's sad that Budweiser has to retaliate through the legal system (which only they can afford) instead of making a better product.

1. None of the Big 3 have taken a "large financial hit"] because of craft breweries; 1 out of every 2 beers sold in America are still an Inbev product.

This is completely false. There has definitely been a financial hit. Domestic beers have been down approx. 7% every year for some time while craft beer has been growing at an average rate of 15% every year. With larger brands like Dogfish at a much larger rate which CAN afford court fees.

If Budweiser would just make beer like Budvar...then I'd probably be a bud man. It's truly sad that a good creamy hoppy lager doesn't quite exist in America. I mean they are out there but not too common.

If Budweiser would just make beer like Budvar...then I'd probably be a bud man. It's truly sad that a good creamy hoppy lager doesn't quite exist in America. I mean they are out there but not too common.

Is Budvar the same as Czechvar (Czech Budweiser from Budweiser)?

I started grabbing it this summer because it was the one beer that the NSLC sold cold in tall tins that wasn't Keith's, Coor's Light or Coor's Light Iced Tea. And it was $2.50, and it ended up being good. If American Budweiser is a decendent of Czhecvar, the apple fell a hell of a long way from the tree.....

That being said, I don't care what somebody else is drinking, not my mouth, and more good beer for me!

LTownLiquorPig said:
Is Budvar the same as Czechvar (Czech Budweiser from Budweiser)?

I started grabbing it this summer because it was the one beer that the NSLC sold cold in tall tins that wasn't Keith's, Coor's Light or Coor's Light Iced Tea...

Budvar is sold as Czechvar in the US and is owned by InBev. But I have never seen it in tall cans... Cool!

No doubt they actually meant they used 4 types of yeast to get that color...

Yeast doesn't impart any color to beer, it only provides fermentable sugars...and only if you steep it long enough. C'mon people, hire a fact checker or something.

Yeast doesn't impart any color to beer, it only provides fermentable sugars...and only if you steep it long enough. C'mon people, hire a fact checker or something.

I thought the yeast were there just to keep the bear company......my image of brewing has been shattered.

So if yeast provides fermentables, what do brew fairies do?

Maybe I just have different priorities than some on here. For me, it's exceedingly simple: If it's good, I'll drink it. If InBev makes it, that's not my problem... that's the craft breweries' problem. Step up your game. Vice versa holds true: If a craft brewery makes it, then that's what I'll drink. I do have morals and I do try to support the local communities and the "little guy", but if InBev makes something that appeals to me, I'm not going to hold out on it just to prove a point. That being said, being a craft beer lover, my first stop is always a craft beer shop. I am always willing to try something new, and that INCLUDES something that InBev may make.

Back