cold conditioning and more!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
On the 28th of September I brewed a weizenbock and it has now floculated after just over a week fermenting at 62F.
I want to brew an ipa and an alt within the next couple of weeks.
I will be using wyeast 1007 for the alt and for sake of money would like to split the smack pack into 2 different starters and step them up in order to have enough yeast to pitch both the alt and the ipa.
I have read that this yeast can be good for ipas but in general is best fermented cool (58-62F). it stays around 70F in my house right now so I have the weizenbock in my temp controlled lay down freezer. unfortunately the freezer is only big enough to hold one other carboy. I can however put one carboy in the fridge but this does not have a good temp controller and stays at about 55F consistently.

As I understand it cold conditioning for a weizenbock can be beneficial but how soon would be too soon to move the weizenbock into the fridge for a while to make room for the alt and ipa in the freezer?
If I can do this soon, i.e. when it hits its final gravity I will have plenty of time to ferment the ipa, bottle it and then lager the alt.
All in all my question is: when can I move the weizenbock to the fridge and for how long?
Thanks in advance.

I have fermented with 1007 at 68 and no issues, bad flavor or anything of the like. I believe if memory serves it is good up to 78 but gets odd flavors (heavy bananaish) at the upper end of the fermentation temp so keeping it lower does have benefits.

Lowest I have personallly gone with 1007 was 62 degrees and it was pretty neutral in flavor though still very distinct, I would like a chance to try it at 58 just to see how it flavors out at that temp.

I have fermented with 1007 at 68 and no issues, bad flavor or anything of the like. I believe if memory serves it is good up to 78 but gets odd flavors (heavy bananaish) at the upper end of the fermentation temp so keeping it lower does have benefits.

Lowest I have personallly gone with 1007 was 62 degrees and it was pretty neutral in flavor though still very distinct, I would like a chance to try it at 58 just to see how it flavors out at that temp.

So what about time with the weizenbock? how long should I let it sit after it reaches target gravity before bottling, and should I do any cold conditioning?

So what about time with the weizenbock? how long should I let it sit after it reaches target gravity before bottling, and should I do any cold conditioning?

I tend to let it sit for at least 48 hours at 38 degrees before harvesting yeast and transferring to bright tank. My application is a bit different though because I keg it up instead of bottling it, but it shouldn't be that much different as the yeast should not reactivate if properly attenuated and stored at cool temps.

I tend to let it sit for at least 48 hours at 38 degrees before harvesting yeast and transferring to bright tank. My application is a bit different though because I keg it up instead of bottling it, but it shouldn't be that much different as the yeast should not reactivate if properly attenuated and stored at cool temps.

So when should I transfer it to the fridge? once its done? or should I give it more time before conditioning at cooler temps?

I know what we do as practice here, but personally I would let it sit at fermentation temp for about 4 days then cool it for 48 hours plus, harvest yeast and return to cool temp.

Everyone has their own preference on this process and each has their pros and cons but it all makes beer in the end.

I know what we do as practice here, but personally I would let it sit at fermentation temp for about 4 days then cool it for 48 hours plus, harvest yeast and return to cool temp.

Everyone has their own preference on this process and each has their pros and cons but it all makes beer in the end.

I know its everyone's personal preference but I'm going to take a hydro reading tonight and tomorrow and if its done doing its thing and tastes good could I go ahead and pop it in the fridge or give a little more time? I pitched last friday and primary ended about 3 days ago.
Thanks again Nightshade.

I know its everyone's personal preference but I'm going to take a hydro reading tonight and tomorrow and if its done doing its thing and tastes good could I go ahead and pop it in the fridge or give a little more time? I pitched last friday and primary ended about 3 days ago.
Thanks again Nightshade.

If it has hit it's FG let it sit a couple days so the yeast cleans up after itself a bit then toss into the cooler to let it drop out.

If it has hit it's FG let it sit a couple days so the yeast cleans up after itself a bit then toss into the cooler to let it drop out.

And again, many thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out.:)

i'd let the weizenbock sit at room temp around 70° for a week or so and use the temp controlled chamber for the alt and ipa - i think it's best to keep it above cold temps for a week or so after active fermentation is finished, letting it warm up to 70° after fermentation is well under way or finished won't hurt anything

i got all sorts of fruity off flavors from 1007 around 70° so def let the alt and ipa start fermentation in a cooler environment

Back