The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Accidic said:
Cupcake, carebear, pansy, fruit loop, sissy, girlie man (actually that's unfair to the multitudes of women with far bigger stones than he has...), princess, ninny..... You get the idea.

Never heard cupcake before... Fruitcake, I have.

My daughter in law Erica accepted a Kolsch offering while at our last family get together. Of course I offered one of the same to my son.
Before he could reply Erica said “You won’t like it. It’s ale-ish”.
It wouldn’t have been so bad but my son said in reply, “No thank you I can’t stand Ale”.
I was speechless

EineProsit said:
My daughter in law Erica accepted a Kolsch offering while at our last family get together. Of course I offered one of the same to my son.
It wouldn’t have been so bad but my son said in reply, “No thank you I can’t stand Ale”.
I was speechless

That's when you need to pull your dad status.. "son, you're not leaving this table until you finish your kolsch."

I was speechless

633.png

Most of my friends are overly trendy beer snobs that buy whatever the latest hype is so i don't get too many dumb ones... I do gets lots of "do you make it in the bath tub?" and "are you a meth cook?!" when they see my gear. I never realized so many people had no idea how beer was made until i started making myself. I guess we just grow up spolied with knowledge in WI :D

mwhc22 said:
Most of my friends are overly trendy beer snobs that buy whatever the latest hype is so i don't get too many dumb ones... I do gets lots of "do you make it in the bath tub?" and "are you a meth cook?!" when they see my gear. I never realized so many people had no idea how beer was made until i started making myself. I guess we just grow up spolied with knowledge in WI :D

Yeah... THAT'S Wisconsin's problem...

Not about my beer, but still funny. Was talking to an acquaintance and the local brewpub came up. He's a bmc guy but started talking about how he liked the eepaw at the brewpub. I said "eepa?" "Yeah, the really hoppy ones." "you mean IPA?"

VinceF said:
Not about my beer, but still funny. Was talking to an acquaintance and the local brewpub came up. He's a bmc guy but started talking about how he liked the eepaw at the brewpub. I said "eepa?" "Yeah, the really hoppy ones." "you mean IPA?"

It's funny, but I wouldn't call it stupid :) A lot of us learn by reading.

Buddy's SWMBO sees me opening a can of Dale's Pale Ale

Her: WTF is that?
Me: it's a bad ass PA from Colorado.
Her: I don't like ales.
Me: Why not?
Her: They have a taste to them...
Me: ...
Her: *sips her Blue Moon*
Me: You're drinking an ale.
Her: *cocks head like a dachshund*

KZE80 said:

That one gave me a true spontaneous belly laugh.

KZE80 said:

It's like when I brought some Yuengling to a football game tailgate a few years back. Everyone else was drinking bud light or something. We were playing this drinking game and my friends girlfriend looked at me and said
"I can't believe you are playing this with a LAGER!"
I looked at her drinking a bud light and said
"you're playing with a lager too"
She just gave me a funny look.

It's like when I brought some Yuengling to a football game tailgate a few years back. Everyone else was drinking bud light or something. We were playing this drinking game and my friends girlfriend looked at me and said
"I can't believe you are playing this with a LAGER!"
I looked at her drinking a bud light and said
"you're playing with a lager too"
She just gave me a funny look.

The general beer drinking public doesn't know WTF and ale or lager really is; they just hear those terms in advertising, and associate them with beers that they either like or don't like.

As per my earlier entry to this thread:

1. [I gave a friend of a friend some homebrewed brown ale]
Guy: wow! That was good, but that was no ale!
Me: the hell it wasn't. I fermented it at 68 degrees with ale yeast.

2. [when I was bartending at a microbrewery]
Guy: [staring at the menu board for several minutes] You guys got any ales?
Me: they're all ales.
Guy: are they all the same beer?
(I should add that each beer name ended with "Ale" e.g. Redjacket Amber Ale, Hilde's Brown Ale, etc.)

It isn't stupid to be unaware of the difference, but it is stupid to pretend to know what you're talking about (when you don't) around people who do. They will catch you, and probably correct you, then go post about it on HBT... ;)

I told him I was going to name the beer 'Dad's Medicine' as a joke. Before trying it he said, that's appropriate given that if you brewed it in your basement it must taste like cough sirup." After hearing that I'm not sure why I gave him one....

I gave my father-in-law a taste of Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. It's so pumpkiny it fills your mouth with spice and convinces you October is tomorrow.

He said, "It's too cidery." :eek: :confused:

Hahahaha! It's cool, more for me! :drunk:

Was he Brazilian? That is how they say "IPA" in Brazilian Portuguese. Took me a while to figure out what they were talking about but one sip made it clear.

Scene at beer store w/friend on vacation:

Me: Hey, let's try this local cream ale
Him: Oh man, no way...I can't stand dark beers.
Me: ??
Him: You know, like milk stouts.
Me: I see. They're in no way related. It's a very light beer.
Him: Still, I'm lactose intolerant
Me: Right. Okay. How about a blonde instead (reaching for the same beer)
Him: Great! I love lagers.
Me: We should do this more often.

rhoadsrage said:
Was he Brazilian? That is how they say "IPA" in Brazilian Portuguese. Took me a while to figure out what they were talking about but one sip made it clear.

Nope, American through and through, just a committed bud light drinker. I'm working on him though.

Yesterday I stopped by a restaurant that my parents like to get a gift certificate for them. While waiting at the bar for the owner to fill it out, I noticed that the restaurant has a beer named after it. I ask about it, and the lady is nice enough to give me a sample while she runs my credit card.

I look at it, give it a sniff and a taste, and say, "Sort of an amber...?" figuring she'll tell me what the brewery that makes it for them calls it.

She responds that they describe it as "Like Guinness" to most of their customers.

"This is nothing like Guinness," I exclaimed back.

"I know, but you know more about beer than most of our customers."

So I guess that would count as lots of stupid comments on their beer? It was a light reddish brown and crystal clear!

The one that drives me nuts is whenever a friend of mine sees me drinking a dark beer he says "Man...That's too thick for me. You can stand a knife up in that."

"It is good!Like Guinness!!"

Firstly I HATE guinness. Secondly, that stout you are sipping is about 40 times as complex as guinness and carbed with good ol CO2.

cheezydemon3 said:

Firstly I HATE guinness. Secondly, that stout you are sipping is about 40 times as complex as guinness and carbed with good ol CO2.

Well I think that's just you nitpicking and hating Guinness, not necessarily a stupid comment on your beer. At least he knew it was a stout.

What if Guinness is the only beer he's ever truly enjoyed? Makes the comment at lot better :D

Not that bad but kinda funny:

The dad of a co-worker of my wife found out we brew and really wanted to try one. I didn't want to give him something crappy or have an off-flavor to scare him off of homebrew but I wanted to give him something unique. So I chose a Belgian. It's 10% ABV, very malty, lots of esters and absolutely no hop flavor or aroma. (It's sort of like piraat or scaldis.) He tried it, said it was good but somewhat hoppy. I just rolled with the comment because I knew he didn't know what the esters were (or hops, for that matter) and was trying to articulate it as best he could. He enjoyed it, thanked us and then tried to play with the dog. He was obviously buzzed.

My cousin kept saying "tastes like chocolate" to all of my beers. Bock, smoked porter, barrel aged stout. It all tasted like chocolate.

...So I guess that would count as lots of stupid comments on their beer? It was a light reddish brown and crystal clear!

I don't know, sounds like she knew what she was talking about but also knew that most customers wouldn't. More like she was trying to avoid stupid comments on their beer :D

In my experience, most people who compare any beer to Guinness are wrong. This is even true for most commercially available stouts.

Reno_eNVy said:
Well I think that's just you nitpicking and hating Guinness, not necessarily a stupid comment on your beer. At least he knew it was a stout.

What if Guinness is the only beer he's ever truly enjoyed? Makes the comment at lot better :D

Lol. You have a point, but this particular person was guilty of countless stupid comments, so she was predestined.

Reno_eNVy said:
Fair enough :mug:

I was talking to her about veal and she looked at me funny..."you know, baby cow"....blank stare........and....she says:

"I thought baby cow was called lamb"

I had to pretend to look elsewhere to keep from laughing in her face.

Today some pud-knocker posted that BIAB was the ONLY way to get the best efficiency and that I was a fool to use a traditional mash tun and fly sparge.

Stoopid pud-knockers..... :(

What else would it be CARBED with, carbon monoxide? :ban::D

From Midwest's 'This Bud's for You' clone kit:

The name says it all. This recipe uses 2 lb. of Rice Syrup, the same ingredient used by a brewery down in St. Louis, Missouri. Perfect for those who don't enjoy darker homebrews.

I HATE those dark pale ale homebrews!

This is the first comment I could add here. Not my beer but a commercial pilsner I order from Buffalo wild wings that the waitress made sure that I know it was an ale... So I just smiled and handed the menu back to her.

Back