Making a citra IPA tomorrow. What would you suggest.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I have the day off tomorrow, so I pitched a starter earlier today and plan on brewing a full citra IPA tomorrow. I usually do AG, but I haven't had much time as of late so bought some extract a few weeks ago in anticipation of having maybe a 2 to 3 hour brew window one day.
Anyhoo!

I'm feel as though I'm a bit short on citra to make an imperial IPA (only have 5 oz) Her's the list of what I have.

7 lbs light DME
3 lbs light liquid extract
1 lb biscuit
and 30 lb barrel of crystal 20 a friend gave me.
5 oz of citra.

I'm screwing around in beersmith trying to get ABV up as well as the bitterness but I'm feeling like it's probably stupid to try to force the IBU's up just for the f*** of it. I.E. I can throw a bunch in early boil, but that's not usually how I do things. Any suggestions with the above ingredients? It's everything that I have, the only day to brew is tomorrow and it's impossible for me to get any more hops as the LHBS is closed on Monday (slackers.)

=D

If anyone has any suggestions on hop additions and how much extract to use, I'd be f'ing thrilled =)
be good
dave

lol yeah. My buddy went balls out into brewing AG from day one and ordered like 4 50 lb sacks of different grains. He moved with his GF out of state and gave me all his stuff.
Had 4 50 lb sacks of pale 2, vienna, munich and crystal (for some reason) I guess he randomly ordered a specialty grain in bulk lol.

for the DME and LME use what you want, 1/2 lb crystal and as for the hops, you could use some at 60 for bittering but its such a nice hop you typically wouldnt use citra to do that. try to use all your hops between 20 and 0 mins. if you want you can save some for dry hopping. citra is one of my favorite hops. enjoy your brewday

Back