Adjusting OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty_Mug

Reaction score
Very new to home brewing have much more experience on the consumption side... Still brewing from the "box mix" recipes until I figure out what I'm doing.

Here's my concern: OG measured at 1.13; recipe instructions indicated 1.09 was the target... Is that a lot off or a little off? I have a basic knowledge of specific gravity (and I mean very basic). Does this mean that I didn't add enough water to the wort after the boil? How do I get on target?

Followed everything to the letter, steeping, boiling, bitter hopping, flavor hopping, etc.
I'm not sure what all you need to know to respond accurately, but will stay tuned for help.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Wow, 1.130?? What did you brew? Did you do a full boil or a partial boil then top off the fermentor with cold water? We need the amount of water and when things were added together. What temp did you take your gravity readings at?

Recipe:
AHS Imperial Robust Porter

2 gallons to 155 degrees
Steep crushed grains for 25 Minutes:
1/2lb crystal 60L Malt
1/2lb Pale Ale Malt
1/2lb Special B Malt
1/4lb Black Patent Malt
1/2lb Chocolate Malt

Add 1 more gallon of water bring to boil

Add 11lb Amber Extract
Add 1lb Amber DME

Bring to boil (60 minutes total)
Add bittering hops:
3oz AHS Centennial 9.9% Alpha Acid

@45 minutes add flavor hops:
1oz AHS Willamette 4% Alpha Acid
@55 minutes Add flavor hops(again):
1oz Willamette (again)

Cooled with wort chiller. Took approx 10 minutes to bring temp to 78 degrees. Transferred to 6 gal primary fermenter, added water and measured OG at 1.13
Added Burton Ale Yeast WLP023 (x2)

Did you stir it well after the final water addition before you took the OG?

Back