1.068 OG, one pack of S-04 or two?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grabtindy

Reaction score
Doing an oaked IPA extract kit. Came with 2 packets of dry S-04 yeast. Plan on re-hydrating, wondering if I'm better off using one or both packets?

5 gal batch, 1.068 GG, plan on rehyrdating in 8 oz of water.

How old are they?

I'd say unless they are fairly old, you're fine pitching just one.

It is interesting that the kit came with S-04 and not US-05, though.

Octane IPA kit from Midwest. Did an APA last week with s-05, goign swimmingly, but that was only 1.046 OG. Kit has been at my house for a week. Lord knows how long they had it, they seem reputable, so I wouldn't imagine it's really old stock.

Generally those packets are good for a beer up to 1.05 / 5 gal. SO two makes sense to me, but i've under pitched straight in my nievity and it always worked out so suit yourself.

Thanks all. This place rocks. Only my 3rd batch ever, but couldn't have done it without this community.

I've pitched on packet s-04 into 10+ gallons @ 1.06 and it worked just fine for me.

But to be technical, I can read the package here:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/SAFALE-US-05-DRY-ALE-YEAST-P1482.aspx

It Says: 11.5g (1 package) good for 20-30 liters (5-7.5 gallons), i'd assume that was with a normal og (1.05), package doesn't say.

Over pitching couldn't hurt, especially if you're not sure it's well oxygenated and all that.

Stuff cost about $3/pack, so not much reason to skimp, IMO.

I'm surprised it says to direct pitch, maybe that's why they recommend using two! Direct pitching can kill up to %50 your viability, so yeah I'd definitely rehydrate it.

One is fine. Try it, you will find out soon enough! I have done maybe 1.34 billion 1.070+ beers with a single sachet of S-04, also 05 and (my preference) Nottingham.

YMMV of course
Steve da sleeve & a sleeve

1 packet has been pitched.

I'm out of town this weekend (leaving tomorrow AM at 5, so this will be my first time using a blowoff rather than airlock as well. Figured the wife wouldn't love it if we came home Sunday night to a freshly painted ceiling. Def rehydrated the yeast prior to pitching so hopefully that prevents underpitching.

Tonight was a bit of an adventure. Through a bag with 2 oz of hops in before dissolving in the LME, so then had to dump that in and try and get it back up to boiling temp ASAP. As a result my hops where probably in the kettle for about 1:15 rather than an hour.

Live and learn. Next time if I purposelly decide to do a late addition I'll forgo the hop bag for the sake stirring.

Back