Schwarzbier Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithat

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to enter my very first brewing competition and would like some help in developing a recipe. The category for this brewing competition is 4c in the 2008 BJCP guidelines or Schwarzbier. I'm unfortunately not equipped to run all grain brewing as of yet but want to have a go a partial mash. The recipe I've come up with is as follows:

5.00lb Munich Malt
.75lb Chocolate malt
2.75lb pale liquid extract
2.00 oz hallertauer hops (60 min boil)
.75 oz hallertauer hops (aroma)

Mash the Munich and Chocolate malt for 45 min at a target temp of 150' then sparge at 175' using 2gallons of water for both. Add the liquid extract and bring to a boil. I'm sure you all know how it goes after this.

This will be my first partial mash and I want to make sure i've got the theory down before I botch a batch because I missed something. I'm also worried that the fairly basic grain bill will make for a fairly unexciting beer. Do i need to worry about adding some different malts to add some complexity or should i just stick to the simple grain bill?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

There are always examples of complex grain bills making excellent beers, but there are equally as many examples of simple grain bills making excellent beers. For someone who is new to partial mashing, I would work with a simple grain bill to begin, but its entirely up to you...the most important thing is that you enjoy brewing, and produce a quality product.

That's a very good point. I suppose with a more complex grain bill and a new process it would be harder to pinpoint what happened if something did go wrong.

I should also add that i'm planning on using WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast for this brew

My last Schwarzbier used 12 oz Carafa II special for color. I think 8 oz would be better. It was a little more roasted than I want. My recipie is not much differnt than yours. 50:50 Pils Munich for a base with Carafa and some Carafoam. I've made them with Chocolate Malt and some crystal malt before. I think in competition the German Carafa Special (or Simamar) would do better.

I'm looking into a schwarz for my next brew. Problem is I don't have a lagering setup. Anybody have any experience with schwarz ale? I've seen it done with marzen, but never with schwarz. Any ideas

Does carafa go by any other names? I'm just looking at the list of whats available from my LHBS and i'm not seeing anything.

This is whats available in bulk:

Cara-Pils Crystal malt 10°L
Light Crystal malt 30°L
Medium Crystal malt 60°L
Dark Crystal malt 120°L
Chocolate Malt
Black (patent) malt
Roast Barley
Vienna Malt
Munich Malt
Amber Malt (AKA Victory or Biscuit)
Brown Malt (British)

and this is available in 2lb bags
Aromatic Malt
Rauch (German smoked)
Torrified Wheat
Honey Malt
Toasted Buckwheat
Malted Rye
Melanoidin Malt German
Acidulated Malt German
Cara-Munich Malt (60°L)
Cara-Vienne Malt
Special Roast Malt (Briess)

Hey guys,

I've been messing around with the recipe a little bit. What do you think about this grain bill?

4lb pale liquid extract
1.25lb cara-pils
1lb melanoiden malt
1lb munich malt
.5lb chocolate malt
.25lb roasted barley

For a traditional Schwartz:

6 lbs Pilsener Extract
1 lbs Munich
8 oz Carafa Special II

I sub'd a half pound of sugar in place of the Pils extract to drop the final gravity a point or two. Over all the Pilsener extract from Briess does seem attenuate better than most.

Back